cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K555LN Laptop falling apart! BSOD!

Voya123
Level 7
Hi everyone!

I'm having major problems with my Asus laptop. It all started a year ago when I upgraded to Windows 10; The system would just BSOD out of the blue and give a random error message every time. I've tried taking it to the Asus's authorized service but all they did was update the BIOS firmware and blow out the dust. Of course that didn't fix the problem and when I came back a few weeks later to get it serviced again, they told me there's nothing else to do. Now that my warranty has expired, I have no other choice but to send to some local computer shop to get it fixed, but I doubt that would help either.

The laptop model is K555LN (but the system reports X555LN for some reason - Is this the model number or BIOS number. What number should I type when I'm searchin for the drivers?)
The only drivers that I actually updated/installed were the MEI, Nvidia (Stock version) and ATK driver (which was not installed).

Latest BSOD error: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000012b (0xffffffffc00002c4, 0x00000000000005aa, 0x000000000b143100, 0xffffae01db5e6000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 9724c2e0-aa8b-4ff4-8ae4-a25dffc9be1d.
Error cause: ntoskrnl.exe

If anyone knows a solution for my problem, please tell me so. I'm desperate.
7 REPLIES 7

Korth
Level 14
It could be any sort of failure ...

But methodical troubleshooting requires the operation of each component is tested and confirmed/denied in isolation. The first thing I'd do - to rule out countless software/malware issues (along with hours and hours of figuring them out) is completely nuke-and-pave the operating system.

Back up the entire drive image if you like, or just the file/folder data you want to keep. Make sure you note (physically write down) the Product Keys for your Windows OS and other "paid" software, or you might have to buy yourself new copies.

Wipe the drive clean, install a completely clean/fresh version of your OS, install the drivers needed for *essential* hardware (chipset, gfx, network, stuff like that), install only "critical" or security-related Windows Updates, make sure you're running a firewall (like Windows Firewall, lol) and anti-malware/anti-virus stuff (like Norton or Avast or AVG or whatever you like; I prefer F-Secure, Kaspersky, SpyBot, MalwareBytes, Ad-Aware).

Get all the basics on the thing working before installing anything else. If it's already broken BSoD at this point then at least you know it's not your software, and your firmware is already updated so you know it's not the firmware ... it has to be hardware fault, something needs repair or replacement.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth
Level 14
FWIW, Windows Error Reporting can itself cause errors, especially when it tries to call the Microsoft Mothership across broken/misconfigured network stuff. Or when it invokes a Microsoft component/library which has broken dependencies. Windows Update can screw you with "partially updated" .NET frameworks or VC++ redists which (because something went wrong between reboots or was outright plain buggy) somehow ended up permanently getting stuck "between" versions. And System Restore can sometimes make things even worse when it can only partially restore "Last Known Good Configuration" after an half-aborted Windows Update process overwrote important stuff but didn't properly log the changes.

Any competent computer/laptop repair shop should be able to properly fix software issues and properly fix hardware issues. Still, I'd backup all my own data before sending the machine in.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

AtlasMinor
Level 8
Hi Voya123,

What your seeing is probably a error indicating that a device driver has passed a invalid address to the windows kernel and windows kernel detected this and called a bugcheck.

What you can do:

Before Clean Install, your gonna want to get a few tools INCLUDING real Asus updated Win10 drivers, which you probably looked for but didnt find, i wil provide a link to all you need at end of post

In this order:
1) Download Tool USB Creator RUFFUS-usb , choose GPT SCHEME FORMAT FOR UEFI select your new ISO Win10 you will download, 1703 Creators Edition, allow RUFFUS to create your new bootable, correct GPT formated USB,

2) use a second USB to download and save all your drivers, it could be a DVD/CD-ROM but your going to want them on a seperate DISK/USB media from your ISO

3) slam in your bootable install usb into a port, reboot laptop, pressing and holding F2 to get to your UEFI menu screen, enter SETUP MODE:....
(SETUP MODE for Asus laptops means, click optimal settings, SAVE, then turn OFF SECURE BOOT , save, then Turn off Secure Boot Flow Menu, save, Check to make sure Fast Boot is still enabled , and that CSM if you have that option is OFF,

Make sure all Secure Boot Keys are unloaded .... If you can. It may still work if you cant unload the keys, but look at the problems already, and thats a whole other story

So Summery is , no CSM and no Secure Boot, no Secure Boot menu, and Fast Boot is On. Got that , OK 🙂

Select Boot Menu to USB, Save and Exit, and hope your laptop immediately boots the USB-ISO install EFI files... If not find out why or Reply back to here and ill look at what happened, NP 🙂

At the install screen your going to want to hold SHIFT+F10, you should now see a CMD screen, type :
Diskpart
List Disk
Select Disk 0
Clean
List Disk ( to make sure you really wiped the disk, GPT should be blank)
Convert GPT
List Disk ( To make sure GPT now has a * in its column)
exit
exit

Click to close installation and REBOOT, HOLD F2 to get back into UEFI, SAVE and EXIT
Reinstall Win10 and using drivers found here http://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/
DONT CONNECT TO A NETWORK when asked during installation or use Cortana, both will make your life hell If drivers still downlaod after you connect to network, then thats the drivers that are causing the actual problems, and will need corrected
Hope this helps

AtlasMinor wrote:
Hi Voya123,

What your seeing is probably a error indicating that a device driver has passed a invalid address to the windows kernel and windows kernel detected this and called a bugcheck.

What you can do:

Before Clean Install, your gonna want to get a few tools INCLUDING real Asus updated Win10 drivers, which you probably looked for but didnt find, i wil provide a link to all you need at end of post

In this order:
1) Download Tool USB Creator RUFFUS-usb , choose GPT SCHEME FORMAT FOR UEFI select your new ISO Win10 you will download, 1703 Creators Edition, allow RUFFUS to create your new bootable, correct GPT formated USB,

2) use a second USB to download and save all your drivers, it could be a DVD/CD-ROM but your going to want them on a seperate DISK/USB media from your ISO

3) slam in your bootable install usb into a port, reboot laptop, pressing and holding F2 to get to your UEFI menu screen, enter SETUP MODE:....
(SETUP MODE for Asus laptops means, click optimal settings, SAVE, then turn OFF SECURE BOOT , save, then Turn off Secure Boot Flow Menu, save, Check to make sure Fast Boot is still enabled , and that CSM if you have that option is OFF,

Make sure all Secure Boot Keys are unloaded .... If you can. It may still work if you cant unload the keys, but look at the problems already, and thats a whole other story

So Summery is , no CSM and no Secure Boot, no Secure Boot menu, and Fast Boot is On. Got that , OK 🙂

Select Boot Menu to USB, Save and Exit, and hope your laptop immediately boots the USB-ISO install EFI files... If not find out why or Reply back to here and ill look at what happened, NP 🙂

At the install screen your going to want to hold SHIFT+F10, you should now see a CMD screen, type :
Diskpart
List Disk
Select Disk 0
Clean
Convert GPT
exit
exit

Click to close installation and REBOOT, HOLD F2 to get back into UEFI, SAVE and EXIT
Reinstall Win10 and using drivers found here http://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/
DONT CONNECT TO A NETWORK when asked during installation or use Cortana, both will make your life hell If drivers still downlaod after you connect to network, then thats the drivers that are causing the actual problems, and will need corrected
Hope this helps

Nope. It's a software issue related to windows or some driver. It's not hardware-based. That's my opinion

haincvtgh wrote:
Nope. It's a software issue related to windows or some driver. It's not hardware-based. That's my opinion

I listed software solution at end of the post, also mentioned to look for it. i can list again. http://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/

If you don't see one Asus software solution listed in the dozen of pages or links on the page, lease feel free to contact Ivanrf on Facebook,. Feel free to like the page.

Resetting a notebook to setup configuration will eliminate any windows conflicts, as with any Windows OS. Although his notebook is a older notebook, it still was shipped with windows8 with options to upgrade to newer windows versions. Should be no problems, Have a Pentium Asus notebook running Windows10 in MBR mode,

No reason a GPT UEFI based notebook wont run windows10, most problems were solved in 1703+

AtlasMinor
Level 8
Hi Voya123,

What you can do:

In this order:

Diskpart
List Disk
Select Disk 0
Clean
Convert GPT
exit
exit

Hope this helps

Eleiyas
Level 10
Taken from TechAdvisor:

How to fix ntoskrnl.exe BSOD
Check your memory
The ntoskrnl.exe BSOD is usually related to memory so you might need to simply replace your RAM. Take out each stick of RAM one by one and try to boot your system, this may help you find the faulty memory but the lot might need replacing.
Overclocking
If you're overclocking your system with a higher CPU clock speed, put this back to normal as it might be causing problems.
Update drivers
If you have a RAID setup of disk drives, update your drivers. Also update other drivers for hardware as this problem can be caused by drivers not matching the OS.

I'm thinking that if the ASUS reps didn't replace the memory, then that is likely fine.

So, next up: Driver issues, like a lot of the people above have mentioned.

If your laptop works for at least, say, 30 minutes, I would recommend doing WindowsKey+X and opening up Device Manager, then seeing if there's any drivers missing/erroneous.