cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threadripper

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Anyone getting excited for this? http://www.techspot.com/news/69331-amd-ryzen-9-threadripper-cpu-lineup-leaks-capped.html

Looks pretty darned good to me...

AMD seriously making waves with their CPUs
:cool:
19 REPLIES 19

Korth
Level 14
Of course it's AMD R9 vs Intel i9, lol, it's just not leet with a lower number. Just like all the coolest parts are "X" and available in black, lol.

But it gets better - https://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/paul-taylor/amd-x399-x390-leak-onto-the-web-ryzen-4700-2700-i...

Looks like I might be building an AMD SP3r2 workstation instead of an Intel C612. Details are still scarce (and, sadly, this is the "best" info I could find about SP3 vs SP3r2).

I'm worried about AMD carrying on their tradition of not supporting NVIDIA's SLI very well. It's the deal-breaker for me (and probably for many gamers) if upcoming AMD GPUs can't reach parity with existing and upcoming NVIDIA GPUs. (I don't even like "bridgeless" multi-GPU links, the whole purpose of the bridge hardware is to provide a direct card-to-card link which minimizes latencies and has zero impact on mainboard/processor performances.)

One thing I think I can bank on is AMD delivering roughly similar performance at dramatically less cost.

But none of these links (along with the other links they point to) are official ... yet.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Menthol
Level 14
I am skeptically hopeful, I love the naming, Thredripper, if it doesn't handily out perform Intel's 12 core chip we'll be calling it Sledgehammer 2 but still very excited about this
Just my opinion Korth but it would be a poor strategy to not support Nvidia sli, there GPU market share is way to large a market not to even if their new GPU's happen to perform well, they would be limiting there market share
I have not paid much attention to Ryzen so far, how is the SATA, PCIE NVME performance as AMD has also been behind Intel on that point

What do you think it will do to the motherboard market, they have mostly been able to concentrate on Intel, if they have to spend twice as much on R&D and manufacture for two high end platforms with the same amount of sales as one platform, will that raise costs, will it hinder development, will there be more issues, will Trump make it to a full term

Korth
Level 14
Trump will probably survive the full term. If the sorts of superhumanly invincible elite black ops guys we see in movies actually do exist in real life then they're probably bankrolled as Trump's personal bodyguards. And now he's also got the Secret Service. America (and the world) may crumble into burning ashes around him, but bombastic Trump will still survive.

As to your other questions: too much speculation. We've just gotta wait for more details. I'm even skeptical of what I read on reviews/etc (lol, sorry) - and AMD is very savvy on advertising, it's how they survived on so little for so long - but my confidence is low until I see the actual product and actual specs/datasheets and actual benchmarks with my own eyes
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

xeromist
Let's not drift into political territory please. 🙂

I do love the name Threadripper. Although "Epyc" for the data center part? We may need to revoke their coolness card for that stinker.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

AlexB121
Level 7
Goodbye intel lol between performance and specially pricing intel either drops major pricing or they will be in big trouble thats just my opinion

Zka17
Level 16
My two cents: let's just wait a little bit...

Ryzen did not impressed me at all so far... Until AMD comes out with a CPU which actually works on its motherboards, I am holding my breath... I have never seen a system with so many problems/complaints this new platform has - and I don't care who's fault it is (AMD/motherboard manufacturers/users), bottom line is that it is not fully functional...

Yes, AMD does make a lot of waves... at this point just not enough for me...

I do cheer for AMD to finally make a competitive CPU! But expectations are high...

kkn
Level 14
AMD = the new sun ( heat )

Korth
Level 14
AMD platforms always tended to be powersucking heatpigs, lol. Fortunately we have ASUS to give us overkill motherboard VRMs, and we have the option of buying red coolant, and we only need to provide a robust PSU. And in the end it's still often cheaper than equivalent Intel platform, lol.

[/Korth]

MeanMachine
Level 13
My two cents is the AM4 platform does have some teething problems but only so far as RAM and frequency choices are concerned.
I've counted at least 6 Beta Bios versions being developed and none as yet work well or are an improvement on 1002 even with the AGESA code to 1.0.0.4a.

Most successful builders are now just going about their business and enjoying what the platform has to offer. There are disgruntled participants who have the loudest voices and that's to be expected especially from Overclock.net and TOM's hardware. I continue to read so much BS from those Forum's ad nau-seam and you really do have to filter out the crap.
At least here at ROG there are more sensible and well informed comments.

Overall in terms of bang for buck the Ryzen chip and AM4 platform is way an improvement on what Intel are offering across the entire spectrum at a price that's going to increase their market share based on sale volumes.

I have no heat related issues and my system is stable and performs well above my expectations having thrown everything I can at it. Sure there's not much Overclocking headroom atm and a mass of new Bios Tweaks and settings to learn however is that not the fun of it all.

The Crosshair VI Hero MB is solid and ASUS have done a good job IMO with what AMD have so far delivered. Yes give it a few more months for those who have the platform on their wish list and don't want the time consuming fun of what is offered. Some folks will never be convinced.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]