Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Audio drivers randomly setting "Amplify Level" to Extreme

Note: I'm having this issue with a PRIME Z270-A. I understand that it's not a Strix mobo, though it is (obviously) a Z270 board. Therefore if I've popped this in the wrong section of the forum, I do apologise.

I've recently bought a Z270-A board and am having some trouble with my headset (a Creative Fatal1ty) and the onboard audio. Basically, whenever I turn my computer on there's a ~50% chance that the Asus audio drivers set the "Amplification Level" to Extreme, with the Audio Manager saying "Your headphone impedance is equal to or higher than 110 ohm".

This results in horribly distorted audio that is physically painful to listen to, even at low volume.

When I set it to "Performance" the audio sounds the same as my old motherboard (i.e. fine), but it constantly resets to "Extreme" and the issue comes back.

I have tried:
    - Reinstalling the audio drivers that came on the driver CD
    - Updating to the latest audio drivers from ASUS' website and reinstalling those
    - Trying front and rear audio jacks. No difference.

Is there any way to disable this automatic detection and just force it to whatever I set it to? After spending so long with a bottom-of-the-range AM3+ board, I'm surprised that a fancy upgrade to Z270 has had problems with something as simple as 3.5mm audio.

Thanks in advance for the help!

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600
    Memory (part number)16GB DDR4
    Graphics Card #1GTX980
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

I think you are not alone in this. See this thread here:
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-than-110-ohms

You could try uninstalling the driver and using the generic driver to see if that makes any difference.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4000MHz 16-16-16-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyPC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 1200w
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G500
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

It sets mine to Extreme automatically too but mine sounds good with no distortion, it's louder than the performance or powerful setting.

I'm using the Plantronics Gamecom 380 headset.

When I connect to the front case jacks it sets it to powerful.

Does playing with the settings in sonic studio 3 help with the distortion ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Realtek Extreme.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	64768

ROG Member Array

Apologies for the lack of response, but thanks for the advice and knowledge that I'm not alone in this. I've had a support ticket open in the meantime, and they recommended I re-install Windows 10.

After re-installing the audio drivers as well as Intel's Chipset Software Installation Utility, that's seemingly fixed the distortion. I'm still having the issue of the amplification randomly changing, though. Just now, I unplugged and re-plugged in my headset three times - the first time it was set to Extreme, the second Performance, and the third was back to Extreme!

Nate, I'm afraid I don't have Sonic Studio 3 since I'm using the PRIME Z270-A. This seems like a lower-level issue than software, though.

Is there any way of simply making sure that the motherboard remembers the amplification settings that I've set in between restarts?
    Last edited by TamiyaGuy; 05-27-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4000MHz 16-16-16-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyPC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 1200w
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G500
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Good to hear you got the distortion sorted that's one thing out of the way.

I would think it should keep the settings as long as you don't unplug your headset. I'll try setting mine to performance, reboot and see if it keeps it or changes it back to Extreme.

EDIT: Upon reboot it automatically changed to Extreme, I'm not sure why yours is randomly changing. Try letting it on the Extreme setting and don't unplug it, if it's still changing would you have another headset to try ?

ROG Member Array

First off, I'd just like to say thanks for the continued help in this matter.

I tried keeping my headset on "Extreme", rebooted and all seemed fine. Then I rebooted again and it switched to "Powerful", so that's... partly new. While I don't have another headset, I do have a pair of earphones that I use on the go, so I tried plugging them into the front audio port and found that they always landed on "Performance" (just as well, I think - with how tiny they were, I wasn't looking forward to what extra amplification would do to them).

Even then, though, since plugging a new audio device in causes the impedance to be detected for both devices, I saw my headset (connected to the rear) switching between Performance and Extreme again occasionally, even though I wasn't actually testing that headset at all.

This seems to be getting more confusing the more I look into it. I'm not sure whether I'm being incredibly stupid or the automatic sensing thinks it's much smarter than it actually is.

ROG Member Array

Sorry to necro, but was this issue ever resolved?

I'm using one of the back IO 3.5mms to my dedicated amplifier, which goes to my speakers. I'm trying to minimise double-amping, so I want it to stay at "Performance", but it resets to Extreme every time I restart. Any fix to this yet?
    Last edited by Firedrops; 08-26-2017 at 10:09 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array jjxakergm PC Specs
    jjxakergm PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus IX Apex@MyMOD BIOS
    ProcessorIntel Core i3-8350k
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
    MonitorDell u2713H
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO 250GB
    Storage #2Samsung 960 PRO 512GB
    CPU CoolerDeepcool Captain 240 EX
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
    Power SupplySeasonic PRIME 750W Titanium
    Keyboard G.SKILL Ripjaws KM780 RGB
    Mouse Razer Lancehead TE
    Mouse Pad G.SKILL Ripjaws MP780
    Headset/Speakers Edifier R2800 + Supra ZAC Toslink Optical
    OS Win 10 RS4 x64@MyMod OS/ISO
    Network RouterAsus RT-N65U@Сustom FW "Project Padavan"

After installing the driver, simply uninstall with startup RtkNGUI64. in the end, the level of amplification will not work.
    Again after launching the Realtek control panel the gain level will return to the previous extreme mode.
    The fact that the gain mode after a reboot is not saved is a bios bug, driver reads the gain data from the BIOS before it starts. if the realtek control panel does not automatically start, then the bug does not manifest itself.
    Last edited by jjxakergm; 08-26-2017 at 11:59 AM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by jjxakergm View Post
    After installing the driver, simply uninstall with startup RtkNGUI64. in the end, the level of amplification will not work.
    Again after launching the Realtek control panel the gain level will return to the previous extreme mode.
    The fact that the gain mode after a reboot is not saved is a bios bug, driver reads the gain data from the BIOS before it starts. if the realtek control panel does not automatically start, then the bug does not manifest itself.
    Very smart workaround! I'll give it a try and report back in a few days.

Update: 3 startups later, it's working consistently. Don't need that program anyway, don't know who ever did.
    Last edited by Firedrops; 08-31-2017 at 09:27 AM.

ROG Junior Member Array vomnie PC Specs
    vomnie PC Specs
    MotherboardStrix B250G

To fix the issue of Amplify Level setting not preserving at reboot, you can install realtek audio driver v6.0.1.8339 for Windows 10 from Rog Zenith driver page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO...Desk_Download/

Despite the driver is intended for Windows 10 and Rog Zenith, I can still install it on my Rog B250G with Windows 7. I believe the driver should work with any rog motherboard using SupremeFX.

However, there is also same issue in Sonic Studio -> Basic Mode. The Sonic Studio Effects setting (if enabled) won't get preserved at application exit or reboot, it always reset to "Gaming" at next start up.
    Last edited by vomnie; 02-27-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast