cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware info (FX53VE-MS74)

Hatross
Level 10
Hello all...

I am trying to determine if anyone has this laptop and if I am able to upgrade it with a 960 Evo M.2 and be able to have NVMe performance? Considering the current hardware and the HM175 chipset I would assume that it is a PCIe bus on the M.2 slot.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/475523/FX53VE-MS74_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black_Metal

I tried the Asus chat support rep but he also could not find the I formation.

Thanks for any help... I am unsure if this is an ROG line?
...wide open
3 REPLIES 3

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Don't tell anyone, but it's supposed to be somewhat of a secret that the FX53VE is related to the GL553VE model.
If you don't mind sending me a private message with your serial number, I can confirm that it is using the GL553VE motherboard, or ASUS support should be able to do this as well.

Although other NVME M.2 SSDs have been approved for the GL553VE, ASUS hasn't officially approved the 960 Evo M.2 NVME M.2 SSD for the GL553VE, so not sure how well it will work, but probably worth looking into more if you can.

Probably a good idea to have some options just in case it doesn't work out, but so far don't have a reason to think it would not work other than ASUS hasn't approved it (or checked it?) and there hasn't been more feedback from other customers.

The GL553VD model uses a different motherboard than the GL553VE, but they are pretty similar as far as M.2 SSD support goes and one customer reports they were able to get the 960 Evo M.2 NVME M.2 SSD working on the GL553VD if that helps at all.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93303-GL553-GL753-Samsung-SM951-128GB-M-2-Issues

By the way is that a 486 Overdrive processor for your profile picture and are you still running one of those systems? Haven't seen one in ages.

Hey thanks a lot for looking into that for me...

I did receive an email from a more knowledgeable tech rep explaining to me that the FX53VE is in fact based on the GL553VE which then would have the NVMe M.2 slot. I am now currently looking into other models as I want to jump on the Thunderbolt 3 bandwagon and I also see no need or use for an internal DVD/CD rom on a laptop. Hate to admit it but I am currently looking at a Dell XPS that gives a TB3 connector (over USB-C) but it only has x2 lanes... but the battery life on the XPS is also very attractive. Another option is the Acer V15 (VN7-593G-70U4) but I can not find any specs on the TB port if it is 2 or 4 lanes, Acer doesn't even say if their HDMI is 2.0 or not.

I'm still shopping around... I hate to stray from my mainstay (Asus) but I am almost salivating over a TB3 with a full 4 lanes on a laptop... the possibilities are enormous, but I won't even look at a Macbook Pro. I don't know which I dislike the most, Apple products or the people who buy Apple products 😄

PS; yes that's an old school processor (I am not currently running one no) but the picture is just to express or convey how long I have been building my own machines (since the 386/25MHZ days actually) It's kind of ironic, I am 43 years old now and I remember reading about future technoligies back in those days, but now even though I've waited 25 years to get here and rode along with the changes I still find myself wanting more more more! it's always more... it never ends 😉

--It's been a dream of mine for 25+ years now to explore the Moon and Mars using VR technology... that is now a reality.
...wide open

Hatross
Level 10
The Strix GL502VS-WS71 is also very alluring... although Thunderbolt 3 is not listed in the specs, it would be perfect.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/475524/ROG_Strix_GL502VS-WS71_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black_...
...wide open