cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help for cold boots

MrPhil17
Level 7
Hi all, I've made a slowmotion video (cause Q-codes are really fast) for understand how to fix my cold boots. Has you can see system fail 3 boots but at the 4th it can boot fine. My 1700x is OC to 4GHz @ 1.38V LLC4 ( I choose this LLC because it keep voltage to 1.3750V under load) and ram is set to 3200MHz with manual preset. This is the best way I can get to boot with RAM @ 3200MHz but I want to fix this.

Link of boots in slowmo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-MgNorfnjw

EDIT: note that i have this issue only after turning on the power stripe. If i turn on PC after a previous shutdown with power stripe always on this problem does not happen.
6 REPLIES 6

flynkalika
Level 7
MrPhil17 wrote:
Hi all, I've made a slowmotion video (cause Q-codes are really fast) for understand how to fix my cold boots. Has you can see system fail 3 boots but at the 4th it can boot fine. My 1700x is OC to 4GHz @ 1.38V LLC4 ( I choose this LLC because it keep voltage to 1.3750V under load) and ram is set to 3200MHz with manual preset. This is the best way I can get to boot with RAM @ 3200MHz but I want to fix this.

Link of boots in slowmo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-MgNorfnjw

EDIT: note that i have this issue only after turning on the power stripe. If i turn on PC after a previous shutdown with power stripe always on this problem does not happen.

Hey mrPhil17, we're dealing with the same issue.

Elmore, who is one of the dev behind our bios, told me (and i quote):

I've looked into it and the reason is because of the current BIOS implementation. You will get this kind of behavior when starting from a fully powered off state. Hopefully we can improve it to only one full reset in a future version.

/Jon

flynkalika wrote:
Hey mrPhil17, we're dealing with the same issue.

Elmore, who is one of the dev behind our bios, told me (and i quote):

I've looked into it and the reason is because of the current BIOS implementation. You will get this kind of behavior when starting from a fully powered off state. Hopefully we can improve it to only one full reset in a future version.

/Jon

Oook... So this bios boot is normal? O.o

"Hopefully we can improve it to only one full reset in a future version." my boys, really? Hopefully? ffs...

MrPhil17 wrote:
Oook... So this bios boot is normal? O.o

"Hopefully we can improve it to only one full reset in a future version." my boys, really? Hopefully? ffs...

It seems to be. It's really annoying indeed!

He had been pretty vague.

The ONLY way I was able to solve this was to flash BIOS 1003 before upgrading to BIOS 9943.

1003 installs some modification to the way the BIOS boots and carries over to any BIOS that you install after it. Since doing this I can boot from cold without problem. If I remove power from the system (i.e. turn off the PSU) OR enable ErP S3/S5 options in the BIOS, the machine will turn on and ramp the fans up louder than usual for a second and then switch off, after this it will then re-boot and start as normal while retaining all of the BIOS settings and not removing my overclock.

Prior to this, using any BIOS on it's own (i.e. 9943/9945 or whatever else), my machine would lose the overclock settings from a cold boot/when using ErP.

Baskura wrote:
The ONLY way I was able to solve this was to flash BIOS 1003 before upgrading to BIOS 9943.

1003 installs some modification to the way the BIOS boots and carries over to any BIOS that you install after it. Since doing this I can boot from cold without problem. If I remove power from the system (i.e. turn off the PSU) OR enable ErP S3/S5 options in the BIOS, the machine will turn on and ramp the fans up louder than usual for a second and then switch off, after this it will then re-boot and start as normal while retaining all of the BIOS settings and not removing my overclock.

Prior to this, using any BIOS on it's own (i.e. 9943/9945 or whatever else), my machine would lose the overclock settings from a cold boot/when using ErP.

So if i understand correctly, by switching ErP to off this boot-reboot-boot-reboot-start thing should be fixed.

What's Erp for? (newbie question) and what are the backdrows of switching it to off?

Korth
Level 14
Nothing these days ever truly powers off, there's always a tiny trickle of activity, watchdog circuits, timers, etc, just waiting for their "wake up, power on" signals. Strictly speaking, there's not even such thing as a truly "cold" boot anymore, unless it's the first time you plug the thing in after long periods of disuse.

ErP on Wikipedia. ACPI on Wikipedia.
ErP is a European environmental directive, ErP compliant devices consume ("leech") minimum possible power when in standby/idle/sleep/hibernation modes.
S3 is "Sleep", S4 is "Hibernation", S5 is "Powered off".

But the fact of the matter is that - contrary to whatever Intel and a dozen PC standards committees promise - the various low-power modes often cause issues, faults, or quirky behaviour when computing devices "wake up" again. The lower the power level (the deeper the sleep), the more groggy and problematic they tend to be when forced awake.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]