cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch (software command/tool) speaker and headphone output for Strix

SeanTek
Level 7
I just got a Asus STRIX SOAR sound card. It looks like it is not possible to play audio through both the speakers and the headphones at the same time. Is that right?

Right now the only way that I found to switch between speaker and headphone output is to open Sonic Studio (two clicks, wait a long time), and then click on the speaker or headphone icons on the left. Is there any other way to do this faster, such as an API call, simple software tool, or command-line switch? It would be nice to assign a keyboard or mouse button macro to switch the outputs.
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hi SeanTek

You should be able to switch between devices in sonic studio 3 with device routing, unless this is something specific with the onboard sound.

Hmmm...that is not what my Sonic Studio looks like though. I am using Strix version of Sonic Studio, "Strix Sonic Studio" v1.1.13. The About Box also shows Sound Card FW v1.03 and Control Box FW - NA - . Here is a screenshot:

The only way to change outputs is to click on the icons in "Output Device".

is there another version of Sonic Studio that works with this card?

SeanTek wrote:
Hmmm...that is not what my Sonic Studio looks like though. I am using Strix version of Sonic Studio, "Strix Sonic Studio" v1.1.13. The About Box also shows Sound Card FW v1.03 and Control Box FW - NA - . Here is a screenshot:

The only way to change outputs is to click on the icons in "Output Device".

is there another version of Sonic Studio that works with this card?

I wanted to add that if I connect or disconnect my headphone directly with the headphone output jack on the back of the Strix Soar, the output automatically switches to headphone or speakers appropriately. However, it only works with a direct connection. If you have an extender cable (as anyone would, compared to reaching behind the PC every time!) and plug the headphones into an extender cable, it won't automatically switch.

Nate152
Oh ok,

I'm not familiar with that version of Sonic Studio so it may not have the device routing feature.

You may just have to switch your speakers and headphones through playback devices as you're doing.