cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VY-T7048T - Major Graphic Issue (Help needed)

wfn7744
Level 7
OS: Windows Home 10 (64 Bit) / Intel i7-6700H / NVIDIA GTX980M 4GB GDDR5

Hello all,

I wonder if someone could really help this big issue I have on my ROG laptop.

Everytime I play any game or launch something which is graphical my laptop screen freezes in black and nothing can be done other than a hard reset.I.e, turning the laptop on and off via it's power button.

Things I've done where the issue still replicates.

1. Uninstalled and installed the latest drivers of Nvidia
2. Installed a fresh installation of Windows via Windows recovery
3. Uninstalled the games I played and installed them back on
4. Scanned for any malware/viruses

Really looking forward to see if anyone can help me resolve this issue.

If there anymore details needed please don't hesitate to post.

Thanks a lot,

WFN
18 REPLIES 18

Eleiyas
Level 10
definitely sounds like a graphics driver or card error. I'd recommend contacting ASUS support for this one, if you're sure everything is installed properly and up to date

Eleiyas@ASUS wrote:
definitely sounds like a graphics driver or card error. I'd recommend contacting ASUS support for this one, if you're sure everything is installed properly and up to date

Thanks for your support Eleiyas.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Or any other steps I could do to fix this error?

TIA

davemon50
Level 11
My main laptop is the same as yours. I have had no issues like yours, no. Does it actually lock your computer, or is it just loss of video? If loss of video, is it just for that app? (i.e. if you hit the Windows key can you get into other things?)

I am wondering if you've checked your Asus software, like the Gaming Center for example, to see if you've got some overclock in there that isn't working well.

If you installed the Nvidia driver from the Asus website, try installing the latest one from the Nvidia site instead.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
My main laptop is the same as yours. I have had no issues like yours, no. Does it actually lock your computer, or is it just loss of video? If loss of video, is it just for that app? (i.e. if you hit the Windows key can you get into other things?)

I am wondering if you've checked your Asus software, like the Gaming Center for example, to see if you've got some overclock in there that isn't working well.

If you installed the Nvidia driver from the Asus website, try installing the latest one from the Nvidia site instead.

Hello Davemon. *
My drivers are all up to date and the issue is that it's a loss of video (graphics) as in I cannot access anything. If I press the windows button nothing happens.*

davemon50
Level 11
What about the overclocking? Mine defaulted to an extreme profile on delivery.

One other thought, make sure you are plugged into a very stable, and if you can - independent, electrical circuit. Lots of power draw on the GPU when using the high end apps so you could be drawing too much power if the circuit is overloaded. If you're not plugged in when it happens, try plugging in.
Davemon50

I have no direct experience but I've seen some topics of the same error due to faulty video card.

bender02 wrote:
I have no direct experience but I've seen some topics of the same error due to faulty video card.

Hi Bender,

Could you please send me these forum links?

Thanks,

WFN

davemon50 wrote:
What about the overclocking? Mine defaulted to an extreme profile on delivery.

One other thought, make sure you are plugged into a very stable, and if you can - independent, electrical circuit. Lots of power draw on the GPU when using the high end apps so you could be drawing too much power if the circuit is overloaded. If you're not plugged in when it happens, try plugging in.

As far as I know my laptop isn't overclocked.

I've tried different houses with different independent circuits and the issue is still there.

Thanks a lot for your support Davemon50.

wfn7744 wrote:
As far as I know my laptop isn't overclocked.

I've tried different houses with different independent circuits and the issue is still there.

Thanks a lot for your support Davemon50.

It's true you could have a faulty card but I like to evaluate/eliminate all other possibilities first personally. As far as overclocking, I found the Asus Gaming Center software to be fairly useful at examining those settings. I had my laptop sent to me with a clean installation of W10, but when I loaded the Gaming Center I saw that it was already overclocked. Something was mentioned about that in another thread from what I remember. Anyway, that software will allow you to see the settings and change some of them as well. If you don't have it installed it may be worth a shot to look it over.

At least it sounds like you're not under-powering the card, so that's a good elimination.
Davemon50