cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme / u3.1 USB Intermittent

B3L13V3R
Level 7
So I was able to score a brand new RVE online for a steal. Well, after a week of "burn in" and lots of trials trying to get the RVE to boot properly with newer hardware, everything has been running smooth with a set of Corsair ROG Edition 16GB PC3200 RAM and a 6850K after updating the BIOS.

However, the one NAGGING issue I have been trying to solve while everything else seems to be working amazing, is that the USB ports are intermittently dropping for a split second on any device I plug into them. This happens randomly with no perceptibly measurable time intervals. I first noticed it when I heard the sound intermittently cutting out from my USB audio interface (Yamaha Steinberg UR22) just listening to Spotify while I work. So I moved it to the USB 2.0 port on the back with the same results minutes later.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the Intel drivers as well as the ASMedia drivers, and tried every USB port for each device. Could an overclock or RAM timings cause an issue like this? I've run every popular benchmark and stress test to achieve a completely stable state.

Again, this is a new board that I got from a seller that never opened the box. The plastic was still on the heat spreaders when I opened the box 2 weeks ago. I've been all over the ROG site and other forums and I am seeing that many people have this issue with no resolution over the years. Has anyone here had this issue and found a fix? OR would care to suggest a reasonable theory?

Current Specs (system in not in the case yet. It's mounted on the motherboard tray)

• Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • Intel Core i7 6850K @ 4.50GHz 30 °C
  • 16.0GB Carsair ROG Edition @ 3200MHz (15-16-16-36)
  • RAMPAGE V EXTREME 31 °C
  • DELL P4317Q (3840x2160@60Hz)
  • 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (SLI) 28 °C
  • 465GB SSD Raid 0 Volume (RAID)
  • Caselabs Merlin SM8

Please help!! And thank you!
2 REPLIES 2

Chino
Level 15
Yes, an unstable overclock can cause this. Save your overclock settings and clear your CMOS. Test your system at stock defaults. 🙂

Chino wrote:
Yes, an unstable overclock can cause this. Save your overclock settings and clear your CMOS. Test your system at stock defaults. 🙂

Thanks Chino!

I've changed the OC to 4.3 and changed the RAM timings to 16-16-16-36. We'll give it a few days and see what happens.

I'll probably spend a little more time on what others are getting over the weekend for good stable clocks and timing on this board.