cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Tweak II + Explorer.exe = Desktop Lag/Freezing (UPDATE #1)

SlvrBullet
Level 7
Looking through all the threads I see that some of us are having serious issues with GPU Tweak II and freezing/slowdowns in Windows 10. Hoping to add some of my running apps when this is happening.

- using latest GPU Tweak II 1.4.5.2 or 1.4.5.4
- notice it happening more often when running the monitor/graph in GPU Tweak II
- Corsair Link 4.5.0.55 (running)
- Speedfan 4.52 (running)
- Sound Blaster Z-Series Control Panel 2.15.04 (running)
- latest Nvidia drivers
- Windows 10 Home (Creators Ed. and all updated)
- all software from the mainboard page for my Hero Alpha VIII
- Intel 6700K, Asus 1080 Ti Strix, Sound Blaster Z internal card

Hope we can find some similarities. I would like to use the Asus software but at the moment have to use Afterburner.

Cheers all.
16 REPLIES 16

Good advice Chino (by the way....thx for a great overclocking guide).

As I am a huge user of Acronis, I am going to do a bit of research this weekend without worrying about starting over. First off, I am going to attempt a clean install of Win10 Creators with nothing but the essentials to clear the device manager of any Intel requirements and Nvidia drivers. I will not install sound drivers from Creative and try GPU Tweak II. If the problem continues we will know it is a Win/Asus releated issue.

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
what i did, was install ver 1.4.3.9 and work perfect no issues try that. the other ver are bad as my testing goes (drops halts, drop frames, and freeze and aura goes mad). I have no idea why! i try all combinations between apps versions etc clean install etc. PLease try 1.4.4.8 and check since was the 1 made for 1080ti best of lucks!
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Will try that as well Itzy.

I just do not understand why Asus does not unify certain software, such as Aura. My Hero VIII Alpha needs a certain version as a later version for the Hero IX does not install due to incorrect hardware. I would think this would make it easier to keep up with updates for all users and enhance security as well.

Reason I say this is because with my Hero VIII and 1080 Ti Strix I need two separate versions of Aura to make changes.

That being said, I figure any info we can compile can perhaps help the gang enhance software for us in the future.

Today I spent approx. 3 hours creating a new install of Windows 10 Creators from an ISO and began the process of elimination to find what may be causing the freezing of GPU Tweak.

I installed Windows 10, Intel Chipset and ME drivers, Bluetooth, Wireless, NvME and latest Nvidia drivers. I did not install sound, Corsair drivers for the AIO/keyboard/mouse/power supply. I then installed all Windows Updates.

I then installed the latest GPU Tweak II, rebooted and tested with absolutely no issues with GPU Tweak. I then proceeded to repeat this process with the Creative drivers (as well as Creative Control Panel), Corsair Link 4, Corsair Utility Engine (for mouse and keyboard), Asus Lighting Control for GPU and Asus Lighting Control for Motherboard. No issues with GPU Tweak II.

So at this point I can say with 100% certainty that those programs are not an issue and GPU Tweak works as intended. Something else is conflicting with GPU Tweak.

My next step will be to go through my original Windows install and via task manager to begin comparing running tasks and begin closing them to see which is conflicting with GPU Tweak II.

Going to take a break and enjoy the rest of my Saturday first.

Cheers all.

niczo
Level 7
I have this exact issue on both my computers, windows 10 desktop features are just out of whack and laggy as hell. Anniversary update installed or not, makes no difference.

There has never been a time where there han't been a serious issue with this software, it's time for Asus to step up. Just the fact that you can type @ and it changes the active profile in Gputweak to default without your knowledge, is totally unacceptable. It's been like this for years and has never been adressed.

I have to agree with you Niczo.

I own 3 items which are at the top or nearly at the top of their respected catagories (PG348Q Ultra-wide, 1080 Ti Strix and Hero VIII) and the price of each reflects that too and I would appreciate software that works together. Issues should be patched in a timely manner.

Please don't get me wrong, as I do believe strongly that Asus brand products have extraordinary quality and inovation but when I go to the software page for my mainboard, and all the software was last updated in 2016, this tells me that Asus is not focusing on upkeep but on initial sales/releases.

Lets hope this changes as companies such as EVGA, MSI and even Zotac are make surges and taking segments of market share.

I have to agree with Niczo and SlvrBullet too.

I'm and old timer @ 54. I've been using Asus MB since the early 90's. I've been pretty happy with them. I just replaced my P7P55D with a R5E10 and had nothing but problems with their software. I think the hardware is solid but the software, well, just sucks. After 3 months of messing around I just gave up. I only installed what drivers were needed and said the hell with the rest of the software.

All of my problem were on a fresh install with NOTHING else but Asus software installed. So it shouldn't be hard for someone in the software QA to find these problems. I can understand compatibility issues when you have a whole gambit of other software installed but a fresh install, things should work. If they don't work they should be fixed in a timely manner. Still can't use my DAC. Well I could if I wanted to do the jump through the hoops thing by creating a script to stop the process that won't allow the monitor or machine to sleep. That's been an issues since day 1.

Bahz
Level 12
Can you guys please test out 1.4.6.6 and let me know if you're still having this issue?
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/app/GPUTweak2_Ver1466_20170519.zip?_ga=2.247630400.612112521.14...