ROG Member Array

Sanity Check Boot Failures

Let me preface with this, my Ryzen 1700 and Asus Crosshair VI is the second system I have ever overclocked and the first that required me to configure anything special. My old 4790k was a one button OC in the BIOS and no real fuss past that.

Following some great advice over on the LTT forums I managed to get my system to boot @3.8Ghz with 2x8G sticks of Trident Z 3200 @ 2933 BIOS 1107 (planning on trying the new 9945 later tonight). I’m happy enough with what I have with only one major complaint. Every time I turn my system on I face a fight to get the system to take it’s OC settings. Once it’s up and running it’s stable for days. Turning it off and on results in me usually having 3 boot failures and a return to the BIOS followed by more boot failures and a CMOS clear then finally putting my OC settings back.

After all of this the system boots as if the problem never existed.

Hardware
    Ryzen 1700 @3.8Ghz used 4Ghz preset and changed it from 40 to 38 (testing with Ryzen master I couldn’t get past 4 so I just dropped it down a notch to 3.9 and again to 3.8 because of the boot issues [no improvement].)
    Trident Z 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZR 14-14-14-34 (not on the official memory list but read reports of 3200 working)
    EVGA SuperNova 650 G3 Gold rated
    Cooled with a Thermaltake Water 3.0 AIO
    ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero

BIOS settings (changes from default)
    Default 4Ghz profile dropped down to 3.8
    Set memory clock to 2933 and timings to 14-14-14-14-34
    DRAMV set to 1.35
    CPUV set to 1.35
    Core performance boost disabled (not sure if disabled anyway with OC)
    Dynamic multithread disabled

I was thinking about changing startup Dram Voltage but I’m walking into new territory. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by dlog13128 View Post
    Let me preface with this, my Ryzen 1700 and Asus Crosshair VI is the second system I have ever overclocked and the first that required me to configure anything special. My old 4790k was a one button OC in the BIOS and no real fuss past that.

Following some great advice over on the LTT forums I managed to get my system to boot @3.8Ghz with 2x8G sticks of Trident Z 3200 @ 2933 BIOS 1107 (planning on trying the new 9945 later tonight). I’m happy enough with what I have with only one major complaint. Every time I turn my system on I face a fight to get the system to take it’s OC settings. Once it’s up and running it’s stable for days. Turning it off and on results in me usually having 3 boot failures and a return to the BIOS followed by more boot failures and a CMOS clear then finally putting my OC settings back.

After all of this the system boots as if the problem never existed.

Hardware
    Ryzen 1700 @3.8Ghz used 4Ghz preset and changed it from 40 to 38 (testing with Ryzen master I couldn’t get past 4 so I just dropped it down a notch to 3.9 and again to 3.8 because of the boot issues [no improvement].)
    Trident Z 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZR 14-14-14-34 (not on the official memory list but read reports of 3200 working)
    EVGA SuperNova 650 G3 Gold rated
    Cooled with a Thermaltake Water 3.0 AIO
    ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero

BIOS settings (changes from default)
    Default 4Ghz profile dropped down to 3.8
    Set memory clock to 2933 and timings to 14-14-14-14-34
    DRAMV set to 1.35
    CPUV set to 1.35
    Core performance boost disabled (not sure if disabled anyway with OC)
    Dynamic multithread disabled

I was thinking about changing startup Dram Voltage but I’m walking into new territory. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Do you have ErP Ready enabled in Advanced > APM Configuration > ErP Ready? If so, try disabling it, since when you switch off your machine, voltage is removed from the board which causes the machine to fail booting.

My settings for 3.9GHz are:
    Ai Overclock Tuner [Manual]
    BCLK Frequency [100.0000]
    Memory Frequency [DDR4-3200MHz]
    Core Performance Boost [Disabled]
    SMT Mode [Enabled]
    EPU Power Saving Mode [Disabled]
    CPU Core Voltage [Offset mode]
    CPU Offset Mode Sign [+]
    - CPU Core Voltage Offset [0.02500]
    CPU SOC Voltage [Manual mode]
    - VDDSOC Voltage Override [1.10000]
    DRAM Voltage [1.40000]
    1.8V PLL Voltage [1.80000]
    1.05V SB Voltage [Auto]
    DRAM VBoot Voltage [1.45000]
    DRAM CAS# Latency [14]
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Read Delay [14]
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Write Delay [14]
    DRAM RAS# PRE Time [14]
    DRAM RAS# ACT Time [34]
    CPU Load-line Calibration [Level 1]
    CPU Current Capability [Auto]
    VRM Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
    CPU Power Phase Control [Optimized]
    ErP Ready [Disabled]
    Super I/O Clock Skew [Disabled]

These are the main settings I changed, everything else is default.

Also, I'm using a p-state overclock, so in Zen common options or whatever it's called I go to P-states and set P-state 0 to 9C (3.9GHz) and leave everything else as is.

This lets me boot without problems on BIOS 9943, but I also had flashed BIOS 1003 prior (which modifies how the system boots and carries over into later bios updates).

Hopefully you can compare my settings to yours and get stable.

ROG Member Array

No dice, reset to default and went line by line through those settings. The system just power cycles within 1-2 seconds. Must be something carried over from that previous bios. I checked the ERP setting and it's disabled already. Appreciate the advice, I'll keep working with it.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array andyliu PC Specs
    andyliu PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VII Hero
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    Memory (part number)(32GB) 2*F4-3200C14D-16GFX
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 980 FTW
    Storage #1Samsung Evo 850 500GB
    Storage #2Mushkin Enhanced ECO3 480GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H105
    CaseCooler Master H500M
    Power SupplyThermaltake TOUGHPOWER 750W
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC3100 + PCE-AC88

Quote Originally Posted by dlog13128 View Post
    No dice, reset to default and went line by line through those settings. The system just power cycles within 1-2 seconds. Must be something carried over from that previous bios. I checked the ERP setting and it's disabled already. Appreciate the advice, I'll keep working with it.
    tried to use usb flash feature, was having issue even after I reset everything to default before i update my bios.
    I was upgrading from 1107 to 1201, supposed to be the same bios with some fix.
    I just use the update feature in the bios.
    reset everything to default before I flash yet I was experiencing issue with boot every once a while.
    I decided go for usb flash feature and havne't had issue since then.

haven't tried the new bios yet as I can't figure out the difference between the 2 ;p
    gonna wait and see how it work for everyone

ROG Member Array

Small update, running at stock settings (defaulted bios configs) boot failures still happen at about the same rate. The display code reads 0d and halts at ROG splash screen, or 90 halts at a black screen, or boots to 08 and power cycles. I'm thinking RMA at this point.

ROG Member Array

Quick question has anyone ever done an advance RMA with ASUS? Phone support says no but it seems standard everywhere else (naturally I don't trust phone support but it's often faster than email). I found one thread with someone claiming to have done one but being charged the full price of the motherboard and shipping both ways. No official link to any submission for it though.

Being without a computer for up to a month would not work out well for me. EVGA had no issue doing an advance RMA with my old Z97 board not sure why a big company like ASUS would.

andyliu PC Specs
    CPU CoolerCorsair H105
    CaseCooler Master H500M
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro

If you haven't tried USB flash back feature to flash BIOS, you should give that a shot.
    It fixed similar situation that you experiencing for me.

I had couple advanced RMA done before, but I normally go thru email.
    Not a native speaker myself, and it gets worst sometimes when I have a non-native speaker support via phone
    ;p

I dont think I have ever been charged for them to ship replacement to me, unless you want overnight?
    But I do have to pay for the shipping to ship to them, same when I do advanced RMA with EVGA.

ROG Member Array

I gave USB flashback a go, no real change. I recorded a video of how my daily power on goes https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...UdlR3RmemIwa2M

It's a battle like this every time I turn on from a cold boot (stock or OC) and 50/50 during a normal restart. Weird note: sometimes I boot and a 40 hangs out on the display, usually a 24.

With one exception, I always seem to have terrible luck with ASUS products.

The Transformer 101,201,301 all had crippling memory bandwidth problems making them fairly terrible way back when.
    The Nexus 7 2013 was awesome
    My P5N-E SLI failed on me.
    My P8H61-M wasn't rev 3 when i bought it and was out of warranty by the time I noticed the SATA failure
    Now this board is giving me grief.

My last board was an EVGA Z97 FTW with a 4790k, never a day of greif. After a lightning strike EVGA shipped me a replacement and waited for my bad board to be shipped. I'm just not sure if it's Ryzen or ASUS or just crap luck at work here. Just frustrated.

I even went so far as to go out and buy a sine wave UPS to ensure power was as clean as possible, no change. (CyberPower 1325VA Sine Wave)

andyliu PC Specs
    CPU CoolerCorsair H105
    CaseCooler Master H500M
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro

I noticed you have Logitech keyboard (look like it ;p), so might wanna update to version 1201 at least.
    And as with all troubleshooting for me, I always resit all the component again.
    since your ram is supposed to be the same as my flare-X ram, I will offer what works for me for BIOS 1201.
    I just use D.O.C.P standard, I tried manual, not really working well for me.
    as odd as it sounds, when I switch from DOCP to manual, cold boot issue even if it's the only change in BIOS.
    After I choose DOCP standard, I manually change the Dram voltage to 1.35
    Weird thing happen to me on version 1201.
    If i change Dram boot voltage to 1.35, I sometime run into cold boot issue.
    So I just leave it on auto.
    Other than that, I just manually set CPU ratio to 38, was capable doing 40 on 1107, but stability for now
    Since we have different CPU, you might wanna leave it on auto first to see if you still getting cold boot issue.

here is the full list of my bios setting
    https://pastebin.com/TXhxsDfb
    Last edited by andyliu; 05-27-2017 at 01:37 AM.

New ROGer Array koir123 PC Specs
    koir123 PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VI Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 1700X
    Memory (part number)Gskill F4-3200C14D-16GVR Memory D4 3200 16GB C14 RipV K2 2x 8GB, 1,35V, RipjawsV rot
    Graphics Card #1AMD RX 480 - soon AMD Vega 64 hopefully
    MonitorAOC G2460PF
    Storage #1Crucial_CT525MX300 SSD
    CPU CoolerCorsair H110i WaKü CW-9060026-WW
    CaseCorsair Carbide Series Air 540 black
    Power SupplyCorsair CS Series CS650M Modular 80+ Gold
    Keyboard Logitech G410
    Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma

my salty solution

i got the same problem - bios config never works on first cold start -> my salty solution: when u start the pc go directly into the bios and just save - u dont need to change anything just save and boot ...it works then without issues.
    erp ready is disabled...
    biosversion 9943
    Last edited by koir123; 05-27-2017 at 06:54 PM.