cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone RMA for Aura?

Chadd74
Level 7
I know many people are having an issue with their Aura RGB lights on the board not working. However I am not convinced this is just a software issue. After a bit of back and forth with ASUS customer service they decided the board should be RMA'ed. Pretty sure I have heard of others on here also doing an RMA for their Aura issues. My question, did the problem happen again for anyone?
10 REPLIES 10

SIMONHANDLEY1
Level 7
This topic as all over the forum, and posted in many threads, I have given up on Aura, un-installed it and going over to water cooling!:mad:

SIMONHANDLEY1 wrote:
This topic as all over the forum, and posted in many threads, I have given up on Aura, un-installed it and going over to water cooling!:mad:

I know the Aura issue is all over the place. Just can not recall if anyone that did an RMA had the problem happen again.

entropic-remnan
Level 9
I remember someone RMA'ing it, getting a replacement board, and the same problem 1 to 2 weeks later. This was prior to it being confirmed that Aura was the problem and the individual thought it was a mobo issue.

If you do successfully exchange it, for the love of color, DON'T run Aura until it's fixed, lol.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

The LEDs on my z270e never worked since day one. Didn't even know it had LEDs until I installed my 1080 weeks later. I won't be dismantling a perfectly good system just to RMA the board. I'm kind of wondering what else may not be working properly.

entropic-remnants wrote:
I remember someone RMA'ing it, getting a replacement board, and the same problem 1 to 2 weeks later. This was prior to it being confirmed that Aura was the problem and the individual thought it was a mobo issue.

If you do successfully exchange it, for the love of color, DON'T run Aura until it's fixed, lol.

That is exactly what I was thinking. No Aura until I hear it is fixed. I am planing a rather elaborate desk/pc build and its kind of centered around some "cool" RGB effects so the ability for a board to do RGB control like Aura was a big selling point for me, on top of the high regards I hold ASUS and ROG. It appeared to be the perfect setup. I just wish someone could say for sure yes its a software problem or no its a hardware issue. The fact that there has not been much official talk makes me think it is the latter.

entropic-remnan
Level 9
My system is running pretty well now EXCEPT for Aura and the RGB system. I've got a solid reliable CPU overclock, and as of the AGESA 1.0.0.6 beta BIOS I can get my 3200mhz memory working at rated speed without a Bclk increase.

Unless some major thing happens, this system is here for the long haul. I've used for lots of stuff now and very happy with it as it stands. Fix the RGB and Asus has mostly delivered what they promised with this board.

Now, I had to manually adjust a lot of things that should be done by the BIOS and that's not trivial -- for folks without technical savvy this board could be a nightmare. So Asus/AMD still have a problem. But for someone like me it's a win right now, RGB or no RGB.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

entropic-remnan
Level 9
I've speculated that maybe it's a bit of both. To sum up: the lighting is controlled by a dedicated microcontroller that talks on a serial bus called I2C. The microcontroller has RAM and a ROM burned with the program to do the lighting effects.

What I think may have happened is that there is a flaw in the microcontroller that has resulted in some kind of data corruption that freezes or crashes the program. If there isn't a way to reinitialize that controller's data, it may not be recoverable without an RMA. Not the same thing quite as a hardware failure, just some code on the lighting controller that has an unanticipated path to failure.

What has confused the issue is another RGB problem involving RGB RAM (which I don't have) which creates a problem when the lighting control software and other "direct hardware access" type of programs conflict. What is needed is what's called a "mutex" or "mutual exclusion" object that acts as a go between and prevents conflicts. This is a common approach when programs must both access the same hardware. It was not done for Aura and the other software that may be conflicting with Aura and may explain the memory problems as well. The problem can be so severe that the SPD data on DIMM's becomes corrupted and the memory ceases to function until the SPD is rewritten with good data.

So, a host of problems involving the lighting and the fact that we may have one common symptom for multiple causes is hamstringing getting it definitively fixed. Some folks have found short term workarounds that seem to fix it but it eventually breaks again. I've had some arguments on this very board with some folks who claim to have "solved the problem" but the solution usually involved the digital equivalent of clicking your ruby slippers together and chanting "there's not board like ROG, there's no board like ROG" until you get back to Kansas...

Chadd74
Level 7
Yes, I have tried I think every "Fix" I came across. I went as far as installing a fresh copy of windows, which wasn't a big deal since it was rather "fresh" to begin with. Also rolled back the Bios to 1002. Cant even get a flicker. What made me think it was more a hardware issue is originally the MB did not show in the Aura software but after leaving it unplugged for a few hours it has been back in the software every time. Just nothing lights up. My memory on the other hand (Trident Z RGB) has worked almost flawlessly. I shall get back to clicking my shoes together and chanting all various sorts of old movie lines. Instead, maybe I should go calculate the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

entropic-remnan
Level 9
African or European?...