Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jorian123 View Post
    I just came across this thread and when I saw your clockspeeds I was quite surprised. My rog 1080ti of hits 2060 mhz on the core out of the box, is that normal? Cause you are talking about 2050 overcloked and mine goes higher without touching it.
    That's how GPU Boost works until voltage and thermal limits are breached, but the bins are derived from ASIC quality. It's possible to hit higher clocks out of the box with some samples, but what's important is the average boost clock. This is why I've used the 3DMark stress test, but it comes down to most things of this nature - some samples are simply better than others.

ROG Enthusiast Array IainM PC Specs
    IainM PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX Z370F
    Processori5 8600K
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1080Ti OC
    MonitorSamsung 40" 4K TV
    Storage #1Samsung 500GB 960 EVO SSD
    Storage #2Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
    CPU CoolerThermal Take Water 3.0 Ultimate 360
    CaseCorsair Carbide 740 Air
    Power SupplyCorsair HX850 Modular PSU
    Keyboard Everest Rampage RGB
    Mouse ASUS Echelon
    OS Win 10 64 bit Home

Very nice tutorial. As an OC noob I have a couple of questions, though, before I start tinkering with my 1080TiOC. In GPU Temp Target what do you mean by "we can safely set the priority to the power target"? What should I set the GPU Temp Target as?

It looks like there are really only two values to adjust: GPU Boost Clock and Memory Clock. Should I adjust only one until it crashes then go back to the last stable value and adjust the other one until it crashes? What's the correct method?

Once everything is stable is it OK to dial back the voltage and power levels? Should I leave them at max?

Aside, out of the box my card in OC mode gives me a constant clock of 2000 on the nose. OC'ing isn't so important right now because I'm using a Samsung 40" 4K TV and not a G-Sync monitor. Need to save up for that.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by IainM View Post
    Very nice tutorial. As an OC noob I have a couple of questions, though, before I start tinkering with my 1080TiOC. In GPU Temp Target what do you mean by "we can safely set the priority to the power target"? What should I set the GPU Temp Target as?

It looks like there are really only two values to adjust: GPU Boost Clock and Memory Clock. Should I adjust only one until it crashes then go back to the last stable value and adjust the other one until it crashes? What's the correct method?

Once everything is stable is it OK to dial back the voltage and power levels? Should I leave them at max?

Aside, out of the box my card in OC mode gives me a constant clock of 2000 on the nose. OC'ing isn't so important right now because I'm using a Samsung 40" 4K TV and not a G-Sync monitor. Need to save up for that.

Thanks.
    Hi, no problem.

1) Set the GPU temp target to whatever you're comfortable with. The Strix cooler is capable enough that temperatures will be well within 80c. You can safely ignore the temperature target and raise the power target to 120% as suggested.

2) Work on both buses independantly till you find stablity. Starting with core, then moving on to memory. Keep in mind there are no real tangable gains on memory as few games are bandwidth constrained. Core is king.

3) If dialing in the overclock with the voltage slider already at max, then I'd suggest leaving it there.

ROG Enthusiast Array raulinbonn PC Specs
    raulinbonn PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus T100TA
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Ranger
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-6700K
    Memory (part number)CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (Corsair Vengeance 16GB)
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix-GTX1070-8G-Gaming
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
    Storage #2HGST 1TB
    CPU CoolerID-Cooling Frostflow 240L
    CasePhantek Enthoo Pro M
    Power SupplyCorsair RM750X
    Headset Sennheisser HD600
    Headset/Speakers Adam Audio F5
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits
    Accessory #1 APC Back-UPS BX - 1400VA

Just overclocked my new Asus ROG Strix 1080 Ti, after checking this thread and also some suggestions from Der8auer's video in the following link:
    https://youtu.be/dG2Az0PclQA

First finding was that Der8auer's suggestions of +150 for GPU clock, and +550 for Memory clock were too optimistic for my silicon lottery ticket. Superposition managed to run once for my card under those settings, but never again. After that it always crashed, so I started from lower and explored back and forth till finding the borderline best settings for my card to run Superposition consistently and with the best possible score without artifacts or crashing.

Those settings for me were +125, +460, which still allowed the card to beat the 10K score barrier in Superposition, as shown in the image below. That score of 10027 was really the very highest I got. With those same OC settings some other runs yielded 10016 and 10020, but still all consistently above 10K. Still have to run lots of other benchmarks to make sure these settings are stable enough across the board. (Btw my card with no OC had a score of 9068, so overall this OC gives it ~10.6% improvement in performance)

Would like to mention that I could still bring the GPU clock slightly higher, up to +128 and the benchmark could still run ok, but the score would actually get worse by a lot, it would go down to around 9800. And with GPU clock at +130 the benchmark would crash for sure on me. The Mem clock could also be increased up to 480-500, but it would also make the score worse. So for me +125, +460 was the optimal, at least with Superposition. +124 and +150-160 could still get in the 10K ballpark or extremely close, in fact once I got a score of exactly 9999 with those, so still lots better than when using too high settings yielding ~9800 or then crashing.

So Best OC parameters are then not really the highest possible values that allow the card to run a benchmark without crashing it. Maximum possible score can be achieved with parameters slightly lower than the max-yet-still-non-crashing settings. This seems similar to what I had seen with my 1070 previously. I also reported on that in the 1070 overclocking thread here in the forums.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos 20180121_1918 - 1080 Ti Overclocking.jpg  

Last edited by raulinbonn; 01-21-2018 at 07:26 PM.

raulinbonn PC Specs
    Storage #2HGST 1TB
    CasePhantek Enthoo Pro M

PS. I don't have a 4K monitor, so all of the OC and 4K benchmarking mentioned above was done using 4.00x DSR on the Nvidia Control Panel settings, and using a 1080p monitor.
    Last edited by raulinbonn; 01-21-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Worth noting from the above, that voltage control is not enabled. You'll likely find that the reason setting a lower offset nets you better scores is because you're hitting a voltage limit.

raulinbonn PC Specs
    Storage #2HGST 1TB
    CasePhantek Enthoo Pro M

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    Worth noting from the above, that voltage control is not enabled. You'll likely find that the reason setting a lower offset nets you better scores is because you're hitting a voltage limit.
    Thanks, likely so, but not touching that control yet since it was not included in Der8auer's video.

There's also the fact that the current OC parameters were stable for running Superposition, and all other benchmarks (FurMark, Valley, Heaven, Time Spy, and Fire Strike) but not under Heaven when running it long enough. After 20 min, Heaven started showing some artifacts, even though not crashing. So started lowering the settings to find a Heaven-stable config. Posting shortly about it.

raulinbonn PC Specs
    Storage #2HGST 1TB
    CasePhantek Enthoo Pro M

Following up on my comment above. Previous settings ran the benchmarks problem-free, but when stressing with Heaven for long enough (more than 20 minutes) there were artifacts. Hiccups and second-long black screens, even though Unigine recovered after those, not really crashing, but I stopped the run shortly after that anyway.

Lowered and kept testing:
    GPU Clock: +100
    Mem Clock: +450

Those are now my rock-solid Heaven-stable OC settings, even for more than an hour. Mem Clock at +460 got a Heaven score which was identical to using +450, so pointless, stayed with the lower number.

The card now reaches a score of up to 9941 in Superposition 4K, though most runs were between 9920 and 9940, so overall performance improvement is ~9.5%.

As mentioned by Silent Scone, notice this is a stable overclocking that does not include changes in the Core voltage control.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos 20180122_2205 - 1080 Ti Overclocking.jpg  

ROG Enthusiast Array xPepi PC Specs
    xPepi PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)HP ProBook 450 G3 with Samsung M2 SSD
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus Hero VIII
    Processor6700k
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte 980ti G1
    MonitorBenq BL3200PT & Benq RL2460H
    Storage #1Samsung 850 EVO 250gb, 840 Evo 500gb
    Storage #2OCZ Agility 120gb, Seagate Barracuda 3TB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-d14
    CaseLian Li PC-7HX
    Power SupplyEVGA 1000P
    Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
    Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
    Headset AKG K550, Logitech C910 Camera
    Headset/Speakers Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
    OS Windows 10 Home

I have the non OC version, boost coming in at 1860mhz.

I currently have it at +105 core and +400 mem, which gives me a 1999.5 core and 5899 mem.

These values are stable in gaming, heaven and valley.

What I'm finding though is that during heaven, valley or gaming the core drops to about 1974 and sometimes even lower during a heaven/valley run.

Does this mean the +105 is not stable and it's downclocking to a stable OC?

I have the voltage set to 100% and power limit to 120%

I'd love some help in understanding this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xPepi View Post
    I have the non OC version, boost coming in at 1860mhz.

I currently have it at +105 core and +400 mem, which gives me a 1999.5 core and 5899 mem.

These values are stable in gaming, heaven and valley.

What I'm finding though is that during heaven, valley or gaming the core drops to about 1974 and sometimes even lower during a heaven/valley run.

Does this mean the +105 is not stable and it's downclocking to a stable OC?

I have the voltage set to 100% and power limit to 120%

I'd love some help in understanding this.

Thanks
    The boost clock will settle depending on voltage and temperature conditions. The temperature conditions for clock speed is more sensitive on Pascal than on previous generations of GPU. Increasing the voltage slider unlocks the higher voltage points on the card, however, these aren't of any benefit if temperature conditions don't allow. Hence why you can see the boost clock lower as the card gets warmer.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast