cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sporadic Boot Failure

LogicalUnit
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I recently bought an ASUS ROG Strix X99 Gaming motherboard. It works great most of the time. However, approximately once in every 10 bootups, I get weird screen corruption and Windows does not boot. I have included a screenshot.

The Q-Code is 40
Motherboard BIOS revision is 1504

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Many thanks,
~LogicalUnit
17 REPLIES 17

Hopper64
Level 15
Makes me wonder about your video card. Do you have another video card to try?

List all your hardware.

Qcode 40 is normal. Waking from sleep state.*
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Graphics card is an ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC 11GB.

I have turned off the GPU Tweak II software because it was causing a bluescreen crash (something in IOmap64.sys) so the card should not be overclocked at all.

Intel i7 6850K CPU
Corsair 32GB DDR3000 RAM (4x8GB)
Samung 960 PRO M.2 SSD 1TB
Corsair HX750i Platinum PSU
ASUS PG248Q ROG Swift Monitor
Windows 10 (genuine)

Yes, here is a link to where I bought it: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/38298

Chino
Level 15

The only changes I made in the BIOS were to enable XMP and calibrate fans.

I haven't booted the computer enough times at stock defaults to see if the issue persists. I might give that a try.

My R5E used to do that for a while. It was a Windows 10 fault with certain nVidia drivers interacting with EUFI bios.
Do a fresh install of Win 10 with different graphic drivers will cure it.

Riicckk wrote:
My R5E used to do that for a while. It was a Windows 10 fault with certain nVidia drivers interacting with EUFI bios.
Do a fresh install of Win 10 with different graphic drivers will cure it.

Thanks for the reply. Could you please provide a little more detail? I installed Windows 10 from a genuine USB stick, then installed the drivers and software that came on CD with my graphics card, and then downloaded and installed nVidia GeForce experience. What should I do differently?