cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I update my BIOS?

Sinept
Level 7
I'm using a Maximus IX Hero Z270 MB, with an Intel i7 7700k cpu, 32gb corsair vengeance ram, and I intend to install a pcie m2 512GB ssd, a 1tb hdd, a 1080ti gpu (probably a rog strix), and windows 10 (on the ssd). (also probably a bluray drive, and a wifi/bluetooth AIO pcie adapter). My current BIOS version is 0604 x64.

I was reading in another thread that the new 0906 bios update is buggy, but it appears that there is also an 0701 bios which I believe would be more recent than 0604. Considering the hardware and software that I'm using (or will be using), is there any need to update my bios? are the benefits of updating worth the possible problems? and is there any possibility of bricking my motherboard?
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hi Sinept

You shouldn't need to update the bios, if you want to update to 701 it's easy but is not without risk.

With the Maximus IX Hero you can update the bios 1 of 3 ways.

1) In the bios on the tool tab you can use EZ Flash and update through the ASUS data base, click via internet and DHCP, the earth globe. The last time I tried this it was offline, I can check to see if it still is.

2) EZ Flash with a usb flash drive formatted to .FAT32

3) Bios Flashback with a usb flash drive formatted to .FAT32 when using this feature rename the bios file to M9H.CAP you can also revert to older bios versions with bios flashback.

dejankiss
Level 7
There is not so much bad words for that kind of errors to manufacturer.
Asus - do your job with the truth and honest or go to the hell. Message to all manufacturers. They made buggy BIOS?! Better make corn or onion...
You want big bucks from us but you don't want to make good product. Must be the law for such a moves.

Послато са SM-A500H уз помоћ Тапатока

Nate152
Hi dejankiss

Maybe you misunderstood Sinept's post, he's not having issues he's just wondering if he should update for compatibility reasons.

If you're having issues please start a thread and tell us of any problems you're experiencing with your ASUS motherboard.

Sinept
Level 7
Yep, so far I haven't had any issues with my MB or it's bios, and I was just wondering if there was any need to update it for compatibility reasons. When I stated that I'd read that the new 0906 bios is buggy, I was referring specifically to this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91993-New-Z270-BIOS-0906 . I haven't updated my bios, so I can't verify whether the update is buggy; and if I don't have any reason to update my bios, then I probably wont.

Nate152
Actually your configuration should work with any bios version so there's no reason to update if you don't want to.

I'm kinda the same way, if it aint broke don't fix it. 🙂

Sinept
Level 7
I was mainly concerned with the gpu, with the 1080ti being a new model and all. I guess I'll wait until I have all of my hardware, and then if I have any problems, I'll address them then.

dejankiss
Level 7
I understood very well Sinept's post, thank you.
The main sentence is: Buggy BIOS are FORBIDDEN words, period.
Before any company post the link to update something, to that moment everything must be without any kind of issue. Or must to put remark ASAP and to explain how to downgrade bios.
Who will pay the costs between me and my client for delayed job if I on the other side paid for the MB €200-600 to run smooth? It is not cheap and it is not everything just the game.

I don't want any kind of problem for that value. Thank you

Nate152
Sinept - Yeah you should be good to go.

dejankiss - If your motherboard has the bios flashback feature you can use it to downgrade the bios, it's easy to do.

If you're not sure how I can give you instructions.

dejankiss
Level 7
Nate152 - Thank you... I appreciate that