cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have problems with Kingston HyperX Fury 2133mhz 64G kit?

tarruda
Level 7
I recently got a new build based on crosshair vi hero and everything is almost perfect. Only problem is that the motherboard only uses 32G of my 64G kit(HX421C14FBK4/64 , listed in QVL).

All memory sticks are shown in SPD information, windows 10 also shows 64G but says only 32G is usable(32 being "hardware reserved", whatever that means). Didn't do any overclock and I'm sure the problem is with the motherboard since any of the sticks work fine individually, as long as I only put them in slots DIMM_A1 or DIMM_A2. It is like the DIMM_B1/DIMM_B2 slots are broken, except that the memory is shown in SPD information.
12 REPLIES 12

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Two of the sticks are failing training. You will need to tune manually. Even at stock 64GB is expecting a lot from the IMC considering the current state of memory support from AMD.

I forgot to tell that when I put memory sticks only in DIMM_B1/DIMM_B2(16 or 32 GB), the motherboard doesn't boot and I see code 0d(which according to mobo manual is reserved for future use). Do you still think this could be a memory training issue? If so, can you suggest some settings? I'm very new to PC building, this is my first build and previously I've only used laptops for work.

tarruda wrote:
I forgot to tell that when I put memory sticks only in DIMM_B1/DIMM_B2(16 or 32 GB), the motherboard doesn't boot and I see code 0d(which according to mobo manual is reserved for future use). Do you still think this could be a memory training issue? If so, can you suggest some settings? I'm very new to PC building, this is my first build and previously I've only used laptops for work.

There is most likely nothing wrong with your MB and RAM issues are across all MB manufacturers.
It is AMD that have been waiting for feedback from the MB partner devs before releasing the latest AGESA 1.0.0.6 updates which have not been officially released btw.
I and many others are indeed having success however it does involve Bios intervention to get some RAM working at it's rated frequency. This is after all a new platform and as always requires Tweaking your Bios till Bios development is complete.
All of us have had the 0d Qcode initially and have worked out how to deal with it. It comes up if your OC or RAM timings fail. You easily recover back to Bios either clearing CMOS or using Safe Boot button on the MB.
Be patient and your performance rewards will be forthcoming. As a pioneer on the AM4 platform you can't expect plug and play out of the box and instant success.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
There is most likely nothing wrong with your MB and RAM issues are across all MB manufacturers.
All of us have had the 0d Qcode initially and have worked out how to deal with it. It comes up if your OC or RAM timings fail. You easily recover back to Bios either clearing CMOS or using Safe Boot button on the MB.
Be patient and your performance rewards will be forthcoming. As a pioneer on the AM4 platform you can't expect plug and play out of the box and instant success.

I'm not looking for better performance, I'm actually quite satisfied with current speeds. Some tasks that used to take hours in my ultrabook(such as compiling big pieces of software) only take minutes in my new ryzen computer 🙂

The issue I have is that I've paid almost $500 for a memory kit listed as compatible and can only use half of them. While 32gb is a good amount of memory, I bought 64gb to be able to run more virtual machines concurrently. Note that this fails with default BIOS settings, no overclocking/tweaking involved.

As far as I can see, there are 3 possible reasons for this:

1 - The motherboard came with 2 dimm slots broken
2 - The memory is not fully compatible
3 - Some UEFI bug is causing this issue, and can be fixed in the future.

I'm really hoping for "3", but my research so far suggests that "1" is the most likely cause. And if the motherboard is indeed broken, it seems the problem is quite common with Asus(according to TimTomTwo and other sources I've found on google).

TimTomTwo
Level 7
I don't think, that it has anything to do with the 64GB of RAM. Because there are a couple of other people, who have the exact same problem, even with less DIMMs and/or RAM.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92808-Only-1-RAM-Stick-working

My Problem is still not fixed and not a single ASUS employee answered me. The other guy in that thread went to oc.net and discussed his problem there too. And as far as I know, he still didn't get an answer.
To be frank, I already RMA'd my first C6H because of the faulty BIOS once and I really don't want to go through that whole process again. I will probably get the "GIGABYTE AORUS" motherboard soon and demand my money back for this crap I still got...

I'm very disappointed in ASUS

RMA is not an option for me, I live in Brazil and imported the board. I already sent an email to Asus Brazil and they confirmed my warranty is not covered here.

I've google a lot and couldn't find any reports of crosshair hero with this particular memory kit, so I can't be sure this is a broken motherboard or simply something that can be fixed in a future update. I guess I will just wait some months to see what happens, but already tried the beta 1.0.0.6 AGESA bios with no luck.

If this turns out to be unfixable I will just buy another board, but I probably won't be getting asus since as you pointed out it is a common problem with their boards.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Quote:
As far as I can see, there are 3 possible reasons for this:

1 - The motherboard came with 2 dimm slots broken
2 - The memory is not fully compatible
3 - Some UEFI bug is causing this issue, and can be fixed in the future.
End Quote.

The Kingston Hyper HX421C14FBK4/64 kits are tested and listed on the MB QVL however you should try manually adjusting your Primary Timings and Voltages if RAM is unstable.

It could be 1 or 2 and dead slots are a possibility and if so then RMA as your last resort.
You should be able to test each slot with one module. Even tho it will default to single channel at least you would know.
I have read other posts where an RMA has been done and the MB returned with zero issues.

I too had issues with my Corsair Dominators at 3000Mhz but got them mainly sorted with Bios Tweaking. Although not 100% as I can only stabilize to 2746MHz atm.
I would wait for now and as soon as the latest Bios is officially released then update. There are 26 new RAM parameters available in AGESA (v1.0.0.6) and this could make all the difference.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Quote: I would wait for now and as soon as the latest Bios is officially released then update. There are 26 new RAM parameters available in AGESA (v1.0.0.6) and this could make all the difference.

Man, that's the truth. It's made a world of difference for me now running my Corsair 3200 kit at rated, now with 1T as well. I'm pretty confident at this point that they can make this as easy as it is on the Intel platforms soon. Memory can always be tricky, but right now you definitely have to get in the weeds to get what you want -- still the progress is very apparent.
Tired of trolls and mods that act like this platform has no problems and it's the users fault. Later.

Hi Im running 2 sets of Kingston Hyper x 2666Mhz 2 x 8Gb ram on bios 0902 have not been able to update any of the bios as I keep getting the 08 code. when I first got into the bios the timings were set at 17 18 18 49 and 1.35 volts, however when i enabled DOCP4 which is correct for 2666Mhz the timings went to the correct settings 15 17 17 35 and 1.2 volts all 4 sticks are running stable at 2666Mhz using Prime 95 (although the kits have been overclocked to 3200 by some people) i am unable to oc the ram as i get boot problems, even looking at the latest version of Ryzen master i am unable to move the slider to oc . I do not use Ryzen master for overclocking however just for temps it shows my 1800x running at about 2 - 3 degrees above ambient on a Corair H100i AIO cooler. When the BIOS is sorted im sure that ocing the ram will be possible. Best luck with setting up your system.