cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Core i9 18 core desktop

Menthol
Level 14
Looks like Intel may not be letting AMD out do them by core count, from VideoCards.com, it could be real pricey to have the top dog this generation

16 REPLIES 16

Heini
Level 11
And I do well to use two or three cores of the four I have available! "Pricey" is the operative word in your statement from where I'm sitting but I suppose some will have use for more.

jab383
Level 13
Some 7740X benches were posted to HWBOT today, so they're coming along with R6 APEX.

Lots of serious benchers went for the 6950X at its high price. These won't be any different.
I'm wondering how much premium Silicon Lottery will add for really good ones.

Zka17
Level 16
Did I understand correctly that all these new CPUs will come with paste instead of soldering (underneath the IHS)?

Zka17 wrote:
Did I understand correctly that all these new CPUs will come with paste instead of soldering (underneath the IHS)?

Yes, you understand well and for me that's disaster.
Before 2 years I notice on Internet that some people try to explain that deliding and CPU with cheap paste are advantage.
For me that's not for normal gamers and average overclockers pull more benefits from flux solder.
Extreme OC maybe is even better completely without IHS, but IHS and than MX-4 or Thermal Grizzly...??? I don't know.

If you install CPU block, waterblock, AIO and tight screws with fingers only I doubt you could damage CPU without IHS, special with limiters (some kind of CPU Guard).
After deliding I would rather go with that option. Maybe mobo manufacturers should start to produce CPU Guard for these big processors.

Hopper64
Level 15
How much more heat will be generated with so many cores on the high end? Won't this restrict overclocking to some degree (pun intended)?
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Zka17
Level 16
Well, you always will have water, then chiller, then phase - heck, you can even go to liquid nitrogen! :cool:

davemon50
Level 11
Software will have to catch up in order for any of them to be really useful for anything other than bragging rights and benchmarking, at least for the mainstream gamer. I use the i7-6950X and don't need anything near that much now. The PCIe lanes are more important now IMO than the speed. Of course, next build I'll buy one just for fun. 🙂
Davemon50

Menthol
Level 14
Although pricey a little lower than current generation, thanks to AMD being back in the game
It does seem strange that Intel is going to put TIM on these chips, it is one thing delidding a $350.00 dollar chip but a $2000.00 chip is another story

Menthol wrote:
Although pricey a little lower than current generation, thanks to AMD being back in the game
It does seem strange that Intel is going to put TIM on these chips, it is one thing delidding a $350.00 dollar chip but a $2000.00 chip is another story

Intel is testing your resolve. 😄
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…