cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low read speeds on Asus maximus VIII hero

thegoose
Level 7
I have the above board and a Samsung 960 evo 256gb on m.2 , Samsung software says its using pci-e 3.0 x4 but im only getting 2200mb/s sequential read speed...my previous board...Asus z170i pro-gaming my evo ran over 3020mb/s, this board is supposed to be capable of 32gb/s on pci-e 3.0 x4 so how do i get it
8 REPLIES 8

G75rog
Level 10
2200 mBs is kind of average for this drive.

G75rog wrote:
2200 mBs is kind of average for this drive.

hI, as i already stated...i was getting 3020mb/s on my Asus mini itx z170i progaming board, I`ve had quite a few Asus boards over the last 10 years but this is the first mobo that i have been not so impressed with.

haihane
Level 13
would you mind unplugging the SSD from your maximus board and test it again on the z170i board? along with screenshots this time
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

haihane wrote:
would you mind unplugging the SSD from your maximus board and test it again on the z170i board? along with screenshots this time

Been thinking about going back to the itx board but i`ll probably stay with it though

thegoose wrote:
Been thinking about going back to the itx board but i`ll probably stay with it though

Funny you avoid the question and just ignoring.

haihane wrote:

Received my new Samsung 960pro 512gb before i went to work today, anyway just formatted the new drive and did a test with Samsung magician...i got full spec 3500 mb/s read and 2000 write so im guessing there is a cap on performance once you reach a certain fill rate.

To add a little twist....migrated my system to my Samsung pro and formated the evo then did a speed test on it and got 3200/1400, so my question is why the hell didnt Samsung say that the suggested speeds are for empty/half full drives.

Im using 268gb of my new pro and its already dropped to 2000mb/s....not really impressed now.

Menthol
Level 14
All SSD's loose some performance when filled past a certain percentage of the drive capacity, I assume every drive is a little different and also depends of how much memory is assigned to cache on the drive, also an OS drive is a little slower than a storage drive, does the magician software allow assigning some of the storage space to cache, not sure of the term used but this is something that this software used to allow on SATA SSD's, disabling drive indexing and set recycle bin to not send files to the recycle bin eliminates some drive writes and also helps with drive speed and longevity

Denaba
Level 7
@thegoose - Which Windows OS do you have? Do you really see a speed difference from 2200 to the 3020 you mentioned?

As Menthol mentioned it is hard to see what's going on without knowing what has been done to the system. The more you fill up the drive the lower the performance. I get your frustration on why this is not advertised but neither is it advertised on old regular spinny's. It's just common knowledge, they do not want to tell us that bit.

I remember also the drive manufacturers never posted the actual transfer rate of a drive back in the day. It was hidden deep in the engineering documents, somewhere where the average person would never find. Buy a drive and only get a transfer rate of 55MBps on a SATA gen 1 (150MBps). And of course that 55 is at best which means it is actually a lot lower for everyday use and then as the drive fills up it is even slower than that.

A lot of questions to dig in to what is happening to your drive. OS, BIOS settings, what tweaks have been done to the OS, is all data on the Sammy or is there another drive, etc.

You had a 256GB Sammy and now you have a 512GB, going to always give you different speed factors.
[Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII] [Samsung 950 Pro 512GB] [G.Skill 2 x 4GB = 8GB] [Asus PG278Q Monitor] [Asus Stryx 980Ti] [Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit]