cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Read GPU Utility Software

Not_Enough_Rage
Level 11
Can anyone explain, or better, show me a website how to read the frequencies of a GPU using the utilty software such as MSI After Burner, or in my case Firestorm. For example if the utility GPU clock says 278MHZ, (I`m guessing here. I don`t remember the exact freq.) how does that add up to the base clock of 1645MHZ? The same for the memory clock. If the utility says 408MHZ, how does that come to 1759MHZ?
4 REPLIES 4

Menthol
Level 14
Idle speed vs rated max speed, at isle desktop the speeds idle down to save power, under load it ramps up, Nvidia Pascal boost can and will increase speed past rated speeds on the GPU core depending on several factors, load and temperature, the cooler the card runs the higher it will clock
Idle speeds
Using GPU-Z click on the ? to run the render test and you can see the speeds increase
This happens in real-time during normal use

Menthol
Level 14
Idle speed vs rated max speed, at isle desktop the speeds idle down to save power, under load it ramps up, Nvidia Pascal boost can and will increase speed past rated speeds on the GPU core depending on several factors, load and temperature, the cooler the card runs the higher it will clock
Idle speeds
Using GPU-Z click on the ? to run the render test and you can see the speeds increase
This happens in real-time during normal use, also memory speeds use a multiplier, similar to desktop memory, 2X, 4X, depending on what software you use for monitoring

Not_Enough_Rage
Level 11
Thanks Menthol. I did`nt realize that clock speeds ramp up and down. When i was opening Firestorm or Afterburner, this was at idle. So, those speeds I was seeing are the idle speeds. I thought my GPU was under clocked. I`ll check out that GPU-Z render test when I get home this evening.

Marcello_S
Level 7
When idling a GPU is underclocked for save energy reason. If you want to render the nominal speed of a GPU without stressing it and without trigger GPU boost, just open nVidia control panel -> manage 3D settings, then scroll down and check for the voice "power consumption management" and select "prefer maximum performance".

Reboot and you card should be clocked at nominal speed in idle.