cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT-AC88U - Useless customer service, no advanced RMA, faulty web interface

nightstrike
Level 7
I own an RT-AC88U. The web based management interface on it keeps dying a few minutes after booting up, while the rest of the router functions normally. It took 4 tech support people before I found someone who could even grasp the concept. They finally gave up and said to RMA it. However, they refuse to do an advanced replacement. (EDIT: After help from Bahz here on the forum, I eventually got someone to do the advanced RMA. I stand behind my sentiment, though, that you should make your purchasing decision knowing this going in. I doubt they will often make exceptions for people.)

I went through an Asus buying spree... PG279Q, Strix 1080 OC, Strix 1080 Ti OC, M8E, etc. I have had nothing but problems with the useless Asus customer service. You would think that after forking over that much money for very high quality components that as a customer, I'd be treated better. Apparently not.

Anyway, don't buy the router. If it breaks, you're screwed. Go with a company that will do an advanced RMA instead.
4 REPLIES 4

Bahz
Level 12
I apologize for the delayed response, unfortunately Advanced RMA isn't available for all products. Can you PM me with your case ID# and also your product serial number? I will discuss with our service team here in Taiwan to discuss with the local teams to see what other options we can provide you. Thanks.

Bahz
Level 12
Our service team in Taiwan has synced up with the local US service team and they will contact you soon to provide you instructions on how to proceed with the advanced RMA. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and we hope to get you the replacement ASAP. If any further issues arise, please do let me know immediately. Thanks.

nightstrike
Level 7
It took a long time, but I finally got this issue resolved. Well, partially. I got a new router from them, but the firmware is still buggy. If you switch it to only allow https access on port 8443, the web interface will eventually die (usually quickly). The new router has the same problem. Support still can't understand that it has nothing to do with the browser, as the Asus Android App has similar access issues.

nightstrike wrote:
It took a long time, but I finally got this issue resolved. Well, partially. I got a new router from them, but the firmware is still buggy. If you switch it to only allow https access on port 8443, the web interface will eventually die (usually quickly). The new router has the same problem. Support still can't understand that it has nothing to do with the browser, as the Asus Android App has similar access issues.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been having 😕

If you would like to go and post your findings in the RoG Routers sub-forum, then I believe that MasterC@ASUS would be grateful for your input.

There's a thread in that sub-forum about this router with lots of people giving feedback, which is being used to improve the firmware.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?301