Quote Originally Posted by jpmboy View Post
    Beautiful build upsnef.

anyone know a launch date?

You will have one soon enough.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Thanks jpmboy

wait for it, worth the wait

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Moloch's Avatar

I really dig the work you guys put into this board. I think it's great you listen to feedback and cut fins in the VRM heat sink, etc

This is my favorite of the X299 boards and assuming it's reasonably priced ($350-450), I plan to pick one up asap.

I keep checking your site as I see new drivers being uploaded, I know it's going to be soon

I have been using only ASUS motherboards for ~20 years, and I have loved every one of them. Keep up the great work!

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Thanks for the feedback.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Hey Raja,

Um from the User Manual 4.1.4 Intel Virtual Raid on CPU in UEFI Bios:

It reads:
    "Due to chipset behaviour, CPU RAID FUNCTION with Intel CPU RSTe only supports intel Core x-series 6-core and above and Intel SSD modules" and "Due to hardware design, your motherboard does NOT support CPU RAID configurations as OS Drives."

So I understand that VROC has not been approved for third-party vendor SSDs, this might change as Intel is looking into widening it, but am I misunderstanding the second statement above? I'm reading that even with Intel SSDs, this motherboard won't support a RAID 0 bootable Windows OS drive. Is this right? The Apex won't allow a VROC bootable OS drive in RAID?

Please confirm as this is pretty important prior to buying this motherboard. The first part may change if Intel allows 3rd party vendors to use VROC but if the APEX won't even allow a Bootable VROC OS drive, what is the point of VROC?

Once VROC comes out, is this something that could be fixed/changed with a BIOS update?

Thanks
    Last edited by Brighttail; 08-01-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Brighttail View Post
    "Due to chipset behaviour, CPU RAID FUNCTION with Intel CPU RSTe only supports intel Core x-series 6-core and above and Intel SSD modules"
    I believe this part has to do with the PCIe lanes of the CPU itself.

The 4-core cpus only have 16 lanes, so you get 16x for video cards (maybe 8x/8x or 8x/4x/1x).
    The 6/8-core have 28 lanes, so you can use 16x for video cards and 12x for a M.2 raid array (3 * 4x)
    The 10/12/14/16/18-core have 44 lanes, so you could have a much larger cpu raid array(?)

I'd also like to hear about the possibility of using 3rd party M.2 NVMe drives as a bootable raid 0 array (ex. samsung 950/960) on x299 motherboards

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

Quote Originally Posted by Moloch View Post
    I believe this part has to do with the PCIe lanes of the CPU itself.

The 4-core cpus only have 16 lanes, so you get 16x for video cards (maybe 8x/8x or 8x/4x/1x).
    The 6/8-core have 28 lanes, so you can use 16x for video cards and 12x for a M.2 raid array (3 * 4x)
    The 10/12/14/16/18-core have 44 lanes, so you could have a much larger cpu raid array(?)

I'd also like to hear about the possibility of using 3rd party M.2 NVMe drives as a bootable raid 0 array (ex. samsung 950/960) on x299 motherboards
    Yeah I'm still confused on exactly what this is saying, preferably before spending money on it.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by upsnef View Post
    just to show you some pics of the Rampage VI Apex in action *
    I love the way you kept most of the tubing from blocking the view of this epic motherboard. *I just wish I knew exactly when I can get a hold of a few of these or the RVIE. *

Asus updated the specifications page for Apex:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...pecifications/
    Last edited by Moloch; 08-04-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighttail View Post
    Hey Raja,

Um from the User Manual 4.1.4 Intel Virtual Raid on CPU in UEFI Bios:

It reads:
    "Due to chipset behaviour, CPU RAID FUNCTION with Intel CPU RSTe only supports intel Core x-series 6-core and above and Intel SSD modules" and "Due to hardware design, your motherboard does NOT support CPU RAID configurations as OS Drives."

So I understand that VROC has not been approved for third-party vendor SSDs, this might change as Intel is looking into widening it, but am I misunderstanding the second statement above? I'm reading that even with Intel SSDs, this motherboard won't support a RAID 0 bootable Windows OS drive. Is this right? The Apex won't allow a VROC bootable OS drive in RAID?

Please confirm as this is pretty important prior to buying this motherboard. The first part may change if Intel allows 3rd party vendors to use VROC but if the APEX won't even allow a Bootable VROC OS drive, what is the point of VROC?

Once VROC comes out, is this something that could be fixed/changed with a BIOS update?

Thanks
    From what I have read around the interwebs (not personal experience)...

You can run a bootable drive using hardware/software raid in the M.2 slots, but the speed is limited to ~3500MB/s read, ~3000MB/s write.
    If you had 2x samsung 960 evo (3200 read, 1900 write) in this array, you would hit max speeds of ~3500/3000 (+10% /+60%)
    If you had 2x samsung 960 pro,(3500 read, 2100 write), the gain would be minimal (+0% / +40%)
    Realistically, you get a bit higher write speed increase because the videos I see typically show evo writing at ~1500 rather than the advertised 1900, so it doubles the write speed (read speed is closer to advertised so very little increase)
    If you tried using 3-4 of either of these drives, it would likely slow things down a little instead of speeding them up
    I don't think this type of raid uses the CPU lanes at all, so it might even work with the 4-core CPUs

VROC is new. I saw a video where a guy gets 11870MB/s read speed and ~8GB write from 4x samsung 960 pro using a PCIe card (VROC?) from dell (not bootable?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wICTa4I-lg
    So there is hope of using 3rd party cards in the future, even if not bootable

It does seem strange to not allow VROC as a bootable/OS drive.

It isn't just the Apex either, most of the Asus x299 motherboard manuals say "Due to hardware design, your motherboard does NOT support CPU RAID configurations as OS Drives." (TUF mk1/2, rog strix, apex, prime-A)

The only manual which does not contain the phrase is the deluxe, which instead says "If you plan on using the CPU RAID configuration spanned across different PCIE slots as OS drives, please install the Hyper M.2 X16 Cards to PCIEX16_2 (x4 mode) and PCIEX16_4 (x8 mode) slots."

Oddly, the TUF mk2 and Prime-A contain both phrases, which seem contradictory

Perhaps some clarification is needed
    Last edited by Moloch; 08-04-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast