cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

has anybody tried to take out there video card?

skellattarr
Level 10
it might be a dumb question but I tried to remove my Asus Strix gtx 1080 and its stuck the front clip won't press down. I was wondering if there is some new trick to it?
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case
8 REPLIES 8

davemon50
Level 11
Not dumb at all. I had to remove one of my video cards to get a wire inserted to the MoBo (RvE10 in my case), and I had a heck of a time with it. I thought for sure I was going to damage the board, it took a lot of force. Be careful, but it might be what you need. That clip just did not want to move, I feel your pain.
Davemon50

VATX7
Level 7
I thought I would never get my 1080 STRIX out. I have huge hands which didn't help. I was literally about to take it into a computer store and pay someone to take my card out lol.

But, with a little patience it eventually popped out without damaging the board.

skellattarr
Level 10
ok its just not me why did they make it that way? I called Asus and they said to take it to a tech. well, I'm not going to do that I hope I don't ever have to take it out but you never know.
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
asus rog strix gtx 1080

JUZTIQ
Level 7
NB: This is actually a reply to Skellartars post "HAS ANYBODY TRIED TO TAKE OUT THERE VIDEO CARD?"....... but I cannot reply to his post but only get an error messages that I dont have acces??)

Picture this:

When you put in you gfx card the left of the lock is up and the right is down - and when you press the gfx card in the left of the lock is down and the right is up.

BUT the lock also "slides" a little to the left (towards the back of your PC case)

All you have to do is take a screwdriver or knife or maybe even your finger and press the lock gently horisontly (towards the front of you PC case) so it "slides" to the right (so do not push "down into the mobo" but "push to the right" - and you dont need to use any force at all).

When I pushed down on the lock it did not move at all and I was afraid to break the mobo but when I pushed to the right (horisontly) the lock was smooth as butter? strange!

PS:
........ before I found out myself (huge hands) and 3 other people (women/children with small hands) spent 20 minutes pressing down on the lock with no success....... sigh! why does it have to be this difficult!
If you don't live for something - You die for nothing

thanks for the info I'll try that
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
asus rog strix gtx 1080

skellattarr wrote:
thanks for the info I'll try that

Just something else you should try, make sure to loosen or remove the thumb screw for the PCI slot cover directly below the video card as the thumb screw may be applying pressure to the video card's bracket.
I experienced this issue the first time I tried to remove the STRIX 1080 from my system.

xeromist
Merged the threads. Don't know why JUZTIQ couldn't reply to this one.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

FredFlint
Level 8
I just re-seated my card as I’ve been having problems with games not loading because they cannot enumerate the display resolution. I’m glad I noticed this thread as it was a real **** to get out the last time but after reading this it was not as bad, thanks for sharing:)