cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix X99 Gaming BIOS Update 1701 Not valid BIOS file?

ChaosBlades
Level 7
Seen there was a new BIOS update to fix the memtest86 issue and wanted to update but...

-Download from website and put on USB Flash Drive = This is not a valid BIOS file
-Use EZ Update Windows Utility = No Updates Found
-Use EZ Update BIOS Utility = Can't connect to the Internet

STRIX X99 GAMING BIOS 1701
Fixed memtest86 issue
Fixed Plextor device issue
7.25 Mbytes 2017/05/26

Also strange that they skipped 1601
6 REPLIES 6

Chino wrote:
Is your USB pendrive FAT32 formatted?

Yes, I just double check and even on a different flash drive.

Nate152
Hi ChaosBlades

If you're using the bios flashback feature you'll have to rename the bios file after extracting it to the usb flash drive. For the Strix x99 Gaming, I'm not sure what to rename it to, it will tell you in the manual.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi ChaosBlades

If you're using the bios flashback feature you'll have to rename the bios file after extracting it to the usb flash drive. For the Strix x99 Gaming, I'm not sure what to rename it to, it will tell you in the manual.

I have updated the BIOS on this motherboard for every version since the first release and never needed to do that. Even multiple times between versions while trying to troubleshoot that stupid Samsung 960 Pro issue. Also checked the manual and it mentions nothing about renaming. I am starting to think this BIOS release is not ment for this motherboard and put on that page in mistake since the EZ Update windows tool says there is no update. Unless someone here can confirm they have upated their Strix X99 Gaming to that specific version.

Edit: Just tried the BIOS update tool inside AISuite 3 and when it restarted to update the BIOS all I got was "Update Failed.". Someone from ASUS needs to double check this BIOS.

mulderfox
Level 7
I downloaded it from the website (could not find it when used AI Suite), and updated it from inside the Bios (located the CAP file I extracted from the zip file on my hard drive).

I resolved this issue... by resetting the BIOS to default via the jumper. I decided to check the older versions and they gave me the same error.