Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Great info!

@Dreamonic,

Thank you for going above and beyond and clarifying all of that for us.

I am going to try another fresh install. Something ExcaliburPC whom I purchased the unit from mentioned was to use the ASUS Recovery option. I know in the past with things like Optimus, not using the brand's windows installation or drivers for that specific machine can really mess up graphics and even CPU performance. I am just not sure if last time i installed I used a fresh install of Microsoft's website and wiped the ASUS recovery portion out, or if I still even have that option. I'm banking on I erased the recovery partition but it's worth a shot if I can get it installed the way ASUS meant it to be. When this problem originally started for me, it did not flash the screen white as it does every time. For all I know (especially with as little testing as I initially did) it was a driver issue or something and my install of a clean OS caused some problems.

I am going to try all of the steps you suggested, with a VBIOS switch as my last resort, as my understanding is that Version 86.04.2A.00.0A limits the boost clock to fix the issue. I could be mistaken. But your tests and information make me feel a WHOLE lot more comfortable =) So thank you

As for the SO DIMM. the first 2 sticks are readily available, however I believe the other 2 (it's got 32 gb upgrade fom ExPC) are a little more frustrating to get to. I can definitely try it, but it will likely take me more time than doing the flashing etc, etc.

So I think I will start off with trying Revo and making sure Gaming Center is completely removed. Then if that doesn't work, a fresh install with all necessary drivers only. Then I can work on unlocking bios and flashing vbios if needed.

Update: Used Revo to fully uninstall Game Center. Tested on ESO, had a crash. So my next step will be seeing if I can reinstall with ASUS's recommended installation (if even possible) from recovery. I am pretty sure I formatted the original HDD to be blank (for storage). Should of just left Windows on it and booted from the SSD. I plan to contact ASUS and see if they can get me a Asus recovery disk (quickly). Likely not, so I will reinstall windows again, never even installing ROG game center and what not and see if that helps at all. Then I will move on to trying to unlock the mobo bios, and then tweak settings, then vbios if necessary.
    Last edited by Captgeech21; 01-18-2018 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Added RAM info, added update to REVO use

ROG Member Array

Angry never touching an asus again

I am having this issue aswell with my G752VS. I kept sending this thread to my local Asus customer service (Denmark) and they kept ignoring it, telling me to do a recovery. When my laptop finally got shipped off for the issue (after I did a factory reset just to cut it short...), they did nothing to it in the repair center as it "passed all functional tests". Within 10 minutes after getting it back, it crashed again with the same issue.

I am LIVID. I contacted customer support again (got the same guy I had before...) and his response to my laptop coming back broken from the service station? Maybe I should try recovery. Because apparently it's normal and it'll solve what they didn't bother in the repair center, right?

I am furious I wasted almost 3000 euros on this supposed gaming laptop which cannot run games without crashing, and Asus doesn't care to fix it.

ROG Member Array

Update for me. I got mine replaced in late december. Worked perfectly until I experienced another in-game crash today. 2 months it lasted before this happened again.

I don't think I'll get another Asus laptop after this. Had no idea they sold total lemons after my otherwise good experiences with my G751j and G75VX

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by danmaku View Post
    Update for me. I got mine replaced in late december. Worked perfectly until I experienced another in-game crash today. 2 months it lasted before this happened again.

I don't think I'll get another Asus laptop after this. Had no idea they sold total lemons after my otherwise good experiences with my G751j and G75VX
    Download an application called GPU-Z and check if the memory used in your GPU is from Micron.

From what I've been able to gather, the issue should only happen on GeForce 1070s built with memory from that brand. The original Nvidia specs use Samsung memory, and the one made by Micron has some sort pf issue with the voltage that causes the crashes.

Try and call Asus again to replace the board. I've had no luck yet, but I'm hoping they finally listen to me and solve the problem this time.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by nulmas View Post
    Download an application called GPU-Z and check if the memory used in your GPU is from Micron.
    It's from Samsung. I wish there was some diagnostic software that could run in the background that could help isolate the specific crash cause. When playing Arkham Knight, my GPU core clock and load gets pretty high but the temps stay in the 70s
    Last edited by danmaku; 02-24-2018 at 08:47 PM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by danmaku View Post
    It's from Samsung. I wish there was some diagnostic software that could run in the background that could help isolate the specific crash cause. When playing Arkham Knight, my GPU core clock and load gets pretty high but the temps stay in the 70s
    Maybe the crash is software related, then, though it may be due to another hardware issue.

Can you check if the crash caused any dump files? One thing I noticed is that the gpu related crashes in this model don't create regular dump files, only Live Kernel dumps.

New ROGer Array

Well, almost 4 months and 4 RMAs later, my issue seems to be solved.

They finally did what I've been telling them to do since the beginning and switched out the 1070 with the Micron VRAM for one with Samsung VRAM.

New ROGer Array

Wow

@Nulmas

WOW that is amazing. I am envious. I am not outside of my 1 year warranty and opted NOT to send in my laptop for the reasons of not wanting to be without my gaming laptop for weeks and also not wanting to deal with all that crap (the not fixing, but thinking it is fixed, getting a refurbished unit back instead possibly, etc.)

I have been extremely busy lately with the company I am working for so have not been able to spend much time troubleshooting the options I have discussed.

One thing I found helpful was to use MSI afterburner and reduce the memory and GPU clock speeds which gave me reduced crashes. I just recently have disabled my Samsung Magician (for my SSD) and have not had a crash in days. I am very surprised by this and would be shocked if this was the cause, but as others have stated these kinds of issues can be hardware or software related and often not even pertain to the GPU. I find it odd that all my GPU Z or Afterburner logs notate the crash only occurs above a certain memory clock frequency. I am pretty sure after writing this im going to have a crash when I go to play Diablo 3 lol. At least i'll know if it does =P

HEADS UP, if anyone is running a later installed SSD (As I am) and has added the aftermarket softwares such as Samsung or Kingston's suites (such as my Magician), you may want to disable or uninstall it and see if it helps (worth a shot).

Best of luck to all. I will update again in a while either way.

ROG Junior Member Array

Hey everybody, just wanted to give my few cents to this topic as I was also affected by the ominous crashes with my G752VS.
    First of all THX to everybody to have given me several ways of approache trying to solve this issue.
    Personally I could not believe that it is a damaged or not proper working hardware or better to say a classical defect.
    Sure some people whose board was changed by RMA could solve this problem but honestly that would have been my really last possibility
    or even send it back within my 14 days return back period (here in GER just send it back and cancel the deal).

I tried fresh windows installation, deleting ROG center, undervolting GPU voltage, trying another VBios etc... nothing worked.
    Then after some days of analyzing while using tools like GPU-Z to monitor voltage, core clock etc. I could realize that the problem should be the GPU clock speed.
    In stock settings my GTX1070 reaches a max clock speed of up to 1860 MHz which is not a problem at all since the GPU temperature is at max. 70°.
    BUT: The problem is that this max clock speed only appears with almost no GPU load. So we are not talking about a 100% load and high clock speed (how it should be with the new Pascal boost technology) but high clock speed without load.
    As the voltage of the new Pascal boost technology changes permanently according to the clock speed and GPU load the failure is there!
    The GPU boosts to 1860 MHz with a valid voltage of 1,062V (seems to be ok) but it boosts up to that clock speed in probably a very short millisecond.
    The voltage needed (1,062V) increases to that value little later than the clock speed, means that the internal automatic OC (Pascal boost) is faster than the voltage increase to keep that clock speed alive.
    This causes the crashes. Since I set a custom speed and voltage curve in MSI afterbruner, limiting the max boost to 1700 MHz (you have to set it little below that value) no crashes anymore. I played hours of the former crushed game like Heroes of the Storm -> no crashes anymore.

What you can do afterwards is to check and identify the max speed without getting the voltage being increased to 1,062V.
    Believe me it should not cost you any significant fps compared to the stock setting.

To summarize: Do not allow your GPU to reach 1,062V in any scenario to be safe. Find a manual set curve with MSI afterurner to identify your max possible clock speed without reaching 1,062V at all. Your performance will be most probably equal to stock setting, you will not loose any significant performance.
    Enjoy your laptop!
    Last edited by Spankmaster; 03-19-2018 at 02:24 PM.

New ROGer Array

How do you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Spankmaster View Post
    Hey everybody, just wanted to give my few cents to this topic as I was also affected by the ominous crashes with my G752VS.
    First of all THX to everybody to have given me several ways of approache trying to solve this issue.
    Personally I could not believe that it is a damaged or not proper working hardware or better to say a classical defect.
    Sure some people whose board was changed by RMA could solve this problem but honestly that would have been my really last possibility
    or even send it back within my 14 days return back period (here in GER just send it back and cancel the deal).

I tried fresh windows installation, deleting ROG center, undervolting GPU voltage, trying another VBios etc... nothing worked.
    Then after some days of analyzing while using tools like GPU-Z to monitor voltage, core clock etc. I could realize that the problem should be the GPU clock speed.
    In stock settings my GTX1070 reaches a max clock speed of up to 1860 MHz which is not a problem at all since the GPU temperature is at max. 70°.
    BUT: The problem is that this max clock speed only appears with almost no GPU load. So we are not talking about a 100% load and high clock speed (how it should be with the new Pascal boost technology) but high clock speed without load.
    As the voltage of the new Pascal boost technology changes permanently according to the clock speed and GPU load the failure is there!
    The GPU boosts to 1860 MHz with a valid voltage of 1,062V (seems to be ok) but it boosts up to that clock speed in probably a very short millisecond.
    The voltage needed (1,062V) increases to that value little later than the clock speed, means that the internal automatic OC (Pascal boost) is faster than the voltage increase to keep that clock speed alive.
    This causes the crashes. Since I set a custom speed and voltage curve in MSI afterbruner, limiting the max boost to 1700 MHz (you have to set it little below that value) no crashes anymore. I played hours of the former crushed game like Heroes of the Storm -> no crashes anymore.

What you can do afterwards is to check and identify the max speed without getting the voltage being increased to 1,062V.
    Believe me it should not cost you any significant fps compared to the stock setting.

To summarize: Do not allow your GPU to reach 1,062V in any scenario to be safe. Find a manual set curve with MSI afterurner to identify your max possible clock speed without reaching 1,062V at all. Your performance will be most probably equal to stock setting, you will not loose any significant performance.
    Enjoy your laptop!
    Hey,

How do you achieve this curve?

I personally downclocked the Core by -320, so it basically never go up 1500 (no boost stock speeds). It certainly stopped any crash, but maybe I would get a small boost if I can get 1700 Mhz.

Thanks

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast