cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing All USB Devices Randomly

Flyprdu
Level 7
I updated to Bios 3504 a couple of months ago, and I've been mostly pleased with the improvements to memory stability and overclocking. I've got one big issue though:

Whenever I plug in a high demand device or devices, i.e. Logitech C922 or Oculus Rift + sensors, I will lose the entire USB root hub. I lose every device- keyboard, mouse, cam, mic, etc. And since I have no means to control the computer, I have to hard reset.

Windows does not crash. The computer remains fully functioning except the loss of all USB devices.

What could be causing this and what is the solution?
9 REPLIES 9

Flyprdu
Level 7
Also, I've looked into the BIOS settings and changed the xHCI settings from Smart Auto to just Auto. I thought that had fixed the issue, until I purchased the Oculus Rift and it seems to have reemerged.

Chino wrote:
Try disabling xHCI for testing.

Tested. It didn't crash. I had to plug the Oculus Rift into the R5E 3.1 Expansion board because USB 3.0 is now disabled. The system also had some sort of incompatibility with the Logitech C922 camera but I didn't really explore that error because I was interested in other issues.

So, it's safe to say that the USB crash is being caused by the xHCI controller and these issues did not start until I upgraded to 3504.
Needless to say, disabling USB 3.0 is not a favorable resolution to my issue. I'd like to see if there's another fix.

Does anyone else have similar issues and how did you resolve it?

Thanks.

You said this happens when you connect a high-demand device or devices. Are you simply drawing too much current through the USB header? What happens if you remove some non-essential devices, such as the web cam?

LogicalUnit wrote:
You said this happens when you connect a high-demand device or devices. Are you simply drawing too much current through the USB header? What happens if you remove some non-essential devices, such as the web cam?

I don't think overloading is the case. As it tends to fail with even minor devices like an Xbox controller receiver. After it fails, the whole hub goes offline killing every USB port on the board.

Now that I have typed this, I wonder if the addon usb 3.1 card still works. I could recover my kb and mouse and find out what is failing.

Any other thoughts?

Chino
Level 15
One of your USB devices is probably the culrpit. Unfortunately, many legacy USB devices cause problems on the X99 platform.

Flyprdu
Level 7
Okay. It just just crashed again. Randomly. No unusual devices plugged in. This time I was able to plug the KB and Mouse into the USB 3.1 addon card to recover control.

Here's what I discovered.

This is what is crashing. It's a new driver that would correspond around the date that the USB Hub crashes began.

Is anyone else having this issue? Suggestions?

Chino
Level 15

Hi, I have the same issue, I currently on Lenovo ThinkPad, and it has extension dock with well powered USB ports.

Everything works well for months, until I connect recently bought Logitech C920 camera. Once I connect it, it works for a while, but after, randomly all USB devices crashes. I can restart USB controllers through terminal, and everything comes to normal until next crash (some times couple of hours, some times minutes)

The same happens on XI3 PC Z3RO Pro mini pc.

At least in my case, all USB problems I started to have since I connect Logitech C920 camera.

Hope it will help you.