cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VMK Thunderbolt 3?

StarJack
Level 11
I have a GL702VMK kaby lake refresh which I purchased on April 10th and it seems my Thunderbolt 3 configuration is unavailable within the BIOS (BIOS 300). It is grayed out. Was hoping an ASUS representative or someone with knowledge of this issue could point me in the right direction for a solution or explain why it's unavailable.

Thanks in Advance,
StarJack

14 REPLIES 14

Bran187
Level 9
StarJack I love how you keep fighting the good fight. Cheers. 😄

I also would very much appreciate to have Asus clear up all the GL series thunderbolt confusion. Because there is a lot of it. lol

Bran187 wrote:
StarJack I love how you keep fighting the good fight. Cheers. 😄

I also would very much appreciate to have Asus clear up all the GL series thunderbolt confusion. Because there is a lot of it. lol

I've accepted the heat issue and have dealt with it as best I could. If my Thunderbolt 3 will not work that will be the last straw. I am not a rich guy and had to sell an amp and a guitar to purchase this laptop. ASUS support response has been mediocre at best. Fanboys can flame all they want, ASUS needs to respond with specifics about the Thunderbolt 3 issues on these laptops.

StarJack
Level 11
The options for Thunderbolt 3 were unavailable because there was no user BIOS password set, only administrator. So that is that I guess. Before spending money on an EGPU how do we know if the TB3 is capable of the 40GBPs and will work with the firmware being so far behind as others have stated?

StarJack

StarJack wrote:
The options for Thunderbolt 3 were unavailable because there was no user BIOS password set, only administrator. So that is that I guess. Before spending money on an EGPU how do we know if the TB3 is capable of the 40GBPs and will work with the firmware being so far behind as others have stated?

StarJack

What's weird though, my TB settings were available, and I haven't set any passwords at all.

StarJack wrote:

StarJack

That's the 6 million dollar question.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

StarJack
Level 11
Unfortunately you cannot tell your NVM firmware version with the current Thunderbolt software unless you have a device connected. But..

"Intel is working on an updated version of the Thunderbolt software that should provide the firmware information without needing to connect a Thunderbolt device."

I have no idea what NVM my kaby lake refresh GL702VMK is but I'll require at least 14 from what I'm reading.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

BoutTime01
Level 7
My G752VT has had an updated NVM for external GPU support. It's only been out for a month or so. It is possible to see the NVM version without a device connected. The new NVM actually states eGPU compatibility when you run the TB Software and click on settings or details. Something like that. I'm posting on my phone so cannot check.

BoutTime01 wrote:
My G752VT has had an updated NVM for external GPU support. It's only been out for a month or so. It is possible to see the NVM version without a device connected. The new NVM actually states eGPU compatibility when you run the TB Software and click on settings or details. Something like that. I'm posting on my phone so cannot check.

When I run the Thunderbolt software it doesn't even put an icon in the system tray to select "Settings" like you see in examples online. The app is empty with no menu options whatsoever. There is no indication of thunderbolt hardware in the device manager. Under USB I have "USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0" for what that is worth.

I really hope ASUS doesn't abandom the GL702VM series. Especially after the customers have dealt with other issues (heat/throttling) with these systems.

-StarJack

StarJack
Level 11
So I have the Thunderbolt software displaying details now and this is what I see, there is no controller listed, controller driver is unknown:

Here is an example of what I should see (from an example online of a working thunderbolt setup). I do not see the controller portion with NVM details.

-StarJack