cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG G20 Liquid Cooling Project

litania72
Level 8
-----------ASUS G20 LIQUID COOLING-----------is it possible?

Dear G20ers...(sounds ficking silly), I have since installing a gtx 1080ti, come to the conclusion that whatever we do, the limitation for the g20 will always be 'HEAT'.

The included internal fans are a joke and it took me 2 years to realise. For the past 6 months I have had issues with low fps when playing newer pc games; I realised that a gtx 980, the 'beast' had lost its balls....literally! When the gtc 1080 came out, I knew that months later, something bigger would come out....GTX 1080ti and since the purchase, I just got fed up with temps of around 80c for both CPU/GPU;

If you read my other thread, you realise that the power bricks will never power the gtx 1080ti..no way, and so I resorted to an extterna psu (corsair rm650x) which solved the power issue.

Now, I slowly realised 2 things: 1. nothing fits inside the case....nothing really; 2. I had to cut through teh metal case to get access to the gpu and plug it to the external psu, there is no other way, however one day I will try with flat cables.

To get backto the liquid cooling project, I wanted to get a good AIO....

CORSAIR HYDRO H45......this was the best choise at £38.....a bargain!

when it arrived I knew from principle that the connectors are no good, and asus had the nice idea to use laptop ones (!"£"$£"%£$%), so thanks to the other thread I started looking for alternatives, such as adapters....

I looked at molex to 3-pin, sata to 4-pin etc.....however I got to the right choice.....A FAN CONTROLLER....why?

there is no way I could cut and solder....I want to leave things pristine; then I knew that the external psu will give a good stable 12v + I needed full power for the pump (3-pin) and variable speed for the fan (which is a bit noisy I ahve to say); after a while I managed to find an AKASA fancontrol A91NL....I did not want to spend too much really and akasa is good (I will have to find a way to fit it inside the case);

The previous thread helped however I had to experiment as I have had to spend hours trying to find a way to fit the liquid cooling.

As said previously....

1. You need to remove the heatsinkfrom the cpu

2. wipe the cpu with alcohol prep wipes (find them on ebay); they are very good to get rid of dirt....and thermal compound.

3. luckily you do not need to use the provided backplate, the one on the mobo is more than perfect, however....

4. when you push the copper plate you will find a bit of resistance....those screws are though....but pushing a bit hard did not damage anything...at first I tohught that it needed the provided backplate, so started to unmount the mobo....and believe me it looks easy but its not...I stopped where I realised that the mobo backplate side where you get all the ports, seemed glued to the metal case....strange...so I stopped and glad I did then tried to puch those cpu screws again and this time it worked.

5. you are left with finding a way to close the case...and where does the radiator go to? this why we are here....oh...last thing. From the photos you will notice that I had not realised that the intel/amd adapter were together....silly me, however once noticed, I was stuck the the cooler orientation you see, you can turn it the way you want it...

have a look at the photos....sorry at present all are uploaded at once as obviously I could not use the g20 while doing all this....

is it worth it? well , after 4 hours on 30% load I get temps of max 35c....max 40c; before it was on constant 60c+...benchmark (cpu) gave max 55c....this is at 100% load with stress test.....still early days...
17 REPLIES 17

litania72
Level 8

litania72
Level 8

litania72
Level 8
What about this guys.......work in progress!

litania72
Level 8

this is with the Thermaltake Core V1 case...however if I use this, I will have to use the top side turned right, as the front case. Also I will have to remove front and turn the mobo plate...in any way I am happy if all the cabling happen inside only with no back plate plugs...will see.

Gengaku
Level 9
Great Job, Thanks for the post. I visit this page every now and then checking if someone has able to modified the G20 with a successfull water cooling system. Would like to see the end product of this project Good Luck!

The pictures above with Thermaltake Core V1 case it changes the concept of SFF pc but still a different approach on modifying the G20.

Out of the topic. Based on your experience of upgrading the G20. Would you still recommend others to upgrade the G20 with the new gtx 10 series card? Or it will be just a pain even with the upgrades because of the overheating issues?

chilinmichael
Level 10
I'm not trying to be mean here, but, you bought a compact case to modify it with parts that require a larger case (which is available is increments). It sounds to me like you bought the wrong PC?
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

chilinmichael wrote:
I'm not trying to be mean here, but, you bought a compact case to modify it with parts that require a larger case (which is available is increments). It sounds to me like you bought the wrong PC?

fair enough...I got the g20 whe it came out and in the meantime I realise that if I want to get good temps while playing on 4k, I would need a different pc altogether, however I love the look of the rog g20 and prefer to keep it really......

just an update after my long european trip....I got rid of the gtx1080ti as it gets too hot....really hot...so my plans are to get a watercooled 1080ti....bit expensive so I can wait really.

For those planning to get a normal gtx1080, I feel that water cooling would anyway give better temps/perf however that card will defo get less hot.

In the end I recognise that my project to totally change the rig really defeats its purpose however if asus would release the g31, then we would have a simila case but with much more space to fit an all-in-one watercooler.

for the time being I put this project on hold and would be happy to get others contributing, let's not forget this requires money and loads of time, but will see....and what does not help is that I am in love with the new i7x series and all those liquid cooling rgb rigs you see on youtube....

my current watercooled i7 4790 sits at temps of max 40c under load, unfortunately no longer havign a dedicated gpu as when you try the 1080ti you will not go backwards.....also lost my 49 inches 4k monitor as my tv broke.....(not really, just needed an excuse to get a 65 inches tv to use as a monitor, but after the long holiday I am defo broke).

It sounds as though you have been successful in your endeavors.

I too bought this PC & have been eager to find out whether or not adding water cooling seems to be worth it.

Overall, would you say attempting to do this is worth it? Or should I move on & completely buy a new rig?

Seeing the way Six4Bravo has done it seems dope, but then again, does the trouble of achieving this lead to more trouble to make you want to completely get rid of your PC?

LarryIsCASTLED wrote:
It sounds as though you have been successful in your endeavors.

I too bought this PC & have been eager to find out whether or not adding water cooling seems to be worth it.

Overall, would you say attempting to do this is worth it? Or should I move on & completely buy a new rig?

Seeing the way Six4Bravo has done it seems dope, but then again, does the trouble of achieving this lead to more trouble to make you want to completely get rid of your PC?

the way forward is to either ass an add-on case at the bottom, where we can store the watercoolers or follow through my plans to mod the case...completely, as the final product uses mainly the themaltake case or any other which has a glass window at the front and fits perfectly....

I have seen the project with the added side fans and sorry but its ugly...old style really.