ROG Member Array

Does it make sense to RAID M2 Drives?

Just working on planning out the media for my next build which will be using the Maximus IX board. I will, probably, be putting in two SSDs (Raided) for my data drive, and was wondering if it made sense to Raid (1) the OS drive, which in this case will be the M2 drives.

I am thinking of using Corsair's Force Series drives, and the RAID is purely for redundancy - just wondering if that will have a huge impact on the performance?

Thoughts?

if you get the samsung 960 M.2 drive you realy do not need to raid it, its more for fast file transfer's the gain is if you ask me.
    you can have one for OS and maby one for games ( if you was planing on 2 m.2 drives ).
    or if standard sd have them for games, and if 2 large drives maby one for capturing game vids?

in games a m.2 ( samsung for ex ) is just a sec or 2 quicker in load times compare to a normal ssd in bf4.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Best Enterprise Read performance I've seen is offered by the 7700GB Seagate Nytro XP7200 (1A8192) Add-In Card. We have a rack full of them at work. Stupidly expensive.
    Full-Height Half-Length 16xPCIe3 (can be split into a logical 4-volume 4xPCIe3 RAID for increased performance and/or redundancy), NVMe 1.2a, 8000GB MLC NAND SSD, 4GB Micron (DDR4?) DRAM.
    Rated for up to 10000MB/s and 950K IOPS Read, up to 2300MB/s and 64K IOPS Write, up to 40W load (at up to 35C), MTBF of 2M hours (~228 years), 5-year warranty (with Write endurance of ~2.4TB/day).
    Cool black heatsink, but alas only available with ugly green PCB.

You'd need such insane Read speeds for busy datacenter sorts of stuff - Wikipedia uses Nytro XP7200 drives to store and "instantly" retrieve countless webpages for countless users. Most datacenters would do as well or better with arrays of lower-cost drives, but there's always a market for organizations willing to pay the premium for maximum performance and/or maximum computing density.

Best Enterprise Write performance I've seen is offered by the 3200GB CoreRise/Comay Enterprise BladeDrive E28 PCIe SSD. I have one at work, one at home.
    Full-Height 3/4-Length 8xPCIe2 (8 discrete SandForce SSDs in hardware-embedded "RAID-5"/"RAIN"), 4000GB high-speed synchronous MLC NAND, full-ECC DRAM, multiply overkill multi-layered redundancies and error-recovery features.
    Rated for up to 3400MB/s and 520K IOPS Read, up to 3200MB/s and 440K IOPS Write, up to 35W load (at up to 75C), MTBF of 2M hours (~228 years), 3-year warranty (with Write endurance of 12PiB total or ~13500TB/day).
    Alas, a completely staid and stolid piece of business hardware - it screams "I'm Boring And Reliable!" but it could be refitted with a far more gamey-looking G.Skill Phoenix BladeDrive heatsink/shroud (as Phoenix BladeDrives are in fact OEM-rebranded Comay/CoreRise BladeDrives).

Again, this is a niche. I needed fastest overall Read/Write performance for the sorts of work I do, and I was willing to pay the premium to get this performance packed into a "single" unit to fit within a PC chassis. (And it turns out that what I paid scales pretty much on par with what high-capacity Samsung 960 SSDs cost, anyhow.)

Because SandForce controllers use real-time data compression the data can Read/Write fast or slow, small or large - or, usually, in various combinations - so actual performance varies based on the types of data you need to store. My particular data happens to be consistently optimal for this compression. Other people will work with particular data which happens to be consistently unoptimal, and for them a different SSD would be a better choice.

Best Consumer Read/Write performance I've seen is offered by 2048GB Samsung 960 PRO (MZ-V6P2T0) M.2 SSD).
    M.2 (4xPCIe3), NVMe 1.2 (partial), 2048GB Samsung V-NAND, 2GB Samsung LPDDR3.
    Rated for up to 3500MB/s and 360K IOPS Read, up to 2100MB/s and 440K IOPS Write, up to 5.8W load (at up to 70C), MTBF of 1.5M hours (~171 years), 5-year warranty (with Write endurance of 1200TB total or ~0.67TB/day).

It comes with Samsung RAPID Magician caching software which can significantly increase real-world performance (in systems with enough physical RAM).

Adequate, more than adequate, and crossing well past the line of beyond definite overkill. You'd be challenged to find any game or app which would be throttled/bottlenecked by such performances. Unless you're running many VMs or suffering from other hardware deficiencies.

Always a good plan to keep system/OS (and maybe only the very few most-used most-preferred games/apps) on one drive, general games/apps on another drive, long-term storage archives on other drives. Although it's not at all needed with these crazy fast M.2 SSDs. Placing two or more of these things into a performance RAID is a little ridiculous, and I suspect it won't actually provide any noticeable "real-world" performance increases (it might even saturate hardware busses with enough data to show upper-limited gains in "nonreal-world" performance benchmarks).
    Last edited by Korth; 06-05-2017 at 02:30 AM.

ROG Member Array hack77 PC Specs
    hack77 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus-MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    ProcessorIntel i7 7700k
    Memory (part number)RAM DDR4 Dual Memory (2x8GB Modules) Corsair 16GB
    Graphics Card #1AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Edition 11G
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H80i v2 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Liquid cooling system
    CaseMasterCase Maker 5t (ATX Gaming Computer Case)
    Power SupplyCorsair RMi Series RM750i Power Supply - 80 PLUS Gold - 750W
    OS MS Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit x64 DVD Full English MS WIN

Hi there ..
    I have mobo " asus maximus ix hero" and two SSDs ( 970 evo & 960 evo) i have installed windows 7 ultimate in ssd 970 Evo , but my problem was , i still can not see the other ssd 960 Evo in Windows ? Would you please tell me what can i do to configure correctly bios setting to make second ssd 960 Evo shows under windows as a regular drive .BTW , i 've already checked Disk Management and it is not there either .. Thanks for any recommendation

My private email : h.swedish@yahoo.com
    Last edited by hack77; 06-05-2018 at 11:16 AM.