Headset/Speakers Logitech 5.1 Surround THX Speakers
    OS Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit
    Network RouterNetgear Nighthawk (RAX 200) AX11000
    Accessory #1 Corsair Comm. w/ Corsair HD Fans - NZXT Hue +
    Accessory #2 DX Racer King Series Chair
    Accessory #3 3D Printer/HTC VIVE/Valve Index

Quote Originally Posted by FireRx View Post
    I'm in no hurry, I have a perfectly good running R5E V10 right now
    . This is more of a want.. I'll be ready when it does come out.
    Running the system in my sig. It 's working pretty good. Hoping to give it to my son to use. X79 - Sandy is still pretty decent but I am ready for the RVIE.
    RVIE X299 System:
    Windows 10 Prof 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x | ASUS Rampage VI Extreme | Corsair AX 1200i PSU
    Corsair 900D | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL Trident RGB Series | RTX 3090/EVGA GTX 1080 | Acer X34 Predator Monitor
    Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive
    Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

My sentiments exactly.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array mpoffo PC Specs
    mpoffo PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel 7900x
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR = 32 GB 3200 Kit
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia Geforce 1080 FE
    Sound CardSound Blaster Z
    MonitorX34 Predator + 2 Samsung Aux Monitors
    Storage #1Samsung 870 EVO 2 TB/850 Evo 500 GB
    Storage #2WD 2 TB & 4TB Black Hard Drives
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Power SupplyCorsair 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum - RGB
    Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE
    Headset Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless SE
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800 RGB Polaris

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    My sentiments exactly.
    I hope that means we will all be happy shortly.
    RVIE X299 System:
    Windows 10 Prof 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x | ASUS Rampage VI Extreme | Corsair AX 1200i PSU
    Corsair 900D | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL Trident RGB Series | RTX 3090/EVGA GTX 1080 | Acer X34 Predator Monitor
    Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive

I've got all the parts ready and patiently waiting for R6E. I need some help planning my build. While waiting for the release I had time to study the manual but not sure about a few things. I would appreciate it everyone, especially if Raja can drop a line. My parts are 7820X CPU 28 lanes, Corsair H115i AIO cooler with original fans replaced with 4 Corsair HD140 RGB fans as push/pull, Asus Strix 1080ti OC GPU, single Samsung 960 Pro 1TB as boot drive, Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3200 32gig kit, and Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass case.

1 - For aesthetic reasons I'm thinking of inserting GPU in PCIE slot 3 so that it doesn't block the lights and logo. Is it possible to configure it through BIOS to operate with 16 lanes? Or is it always limited to 8 lanes with a 28 lane CPU and our only option for full 16 lanes is PCIE slot 1? The Manual page 1-8 shows PCIE slot 3 with 16 lanes which is obviously an error. Or even some advice on GPU slot choice for aesthetic reasons.

You can place your GPU in slot 1 or 3 and get full x16. In fact you can ONLY use slot 1 or 3 for anything with a 28lane cpu but it will be at x16 speed.

2 - I'll be using a single SSD 960 Pro as Windows boot drive. I need some advice on which slot to use for the SSD and whether to use PCH lanes or CPU lanes. Someone mentioned earlier here that a bug prevents RAID SSDs from achieving full speed if routed through PCH lanes. Does the bug only affect RAID or also single drives? I guess M.2_1 under armor will provide better cooling and DIMM.2 has CPU lanes option. I can mount a fan directly blowing on SSD as the case has the option.

A 28 lane CPU, you will NOT be able to use the m.2 slot at the bottom of the board. So you can put it on the DIMM.2 card provided, change the DIMM.2 in the BIOS to use the CPU lanes and should be fine there.

3 - I also need some advice on fan connections in push/pull configuration for Corsair H115i AIO. I'm planning to use a single PWM signal from CPU fan header to sync all 4 fans. H115i AIO only gets PWM signal from CPU fan header but uses SATA power for drive the fans. Is it better to use splitters to split the 2 fans into 4 from AIO itself (and I'll confirm with Corsair to ensure it doesn't overload the connectors), or is it better to use CPU optional header or any other fan headers for the other 2 fans?

Personally for that I would use the fan extending card that comes with the board. Plug in all four fans into it and the fan in the first position will determine the fan speed of all the other fans and they will all be the same speed. Plugging the pump into the CPU and the fans into the CPU ALT may have your fans end up running at full speed all the time. You can then use the BIOS to set your fan curve of the Fans on the extender card.

4 - This is a noob q lol but I just wanted to ensure. I'll be connecting motherboard warning speaker as well. The case front panel header doesn't show ground pin and + pins. It will be shown in Q Connector though I believe. But my q is will Q Connector show the pins for system speaker too or how to find the +5v and ground pins for warning speaker.

Not sure on this one.

Thanks all I appreciate it. If Raja can drop a line as well. Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighttail View Post
    Here ya go.
    Man, you nearly gave me a heartattack. I normally just read this thread because I'm also waiting for the R6E and don't have much to say, but the amount of unspecified in your answer makes a reply necessary because of additional questions. I had to dig through the manual again because I thought wtf, did I miss that info?

1. All pcie slots besides PCIEx8_4 are active on the 28 lane CPUs, because even there you can do tripple vga. When you want to use PCIEx16 with one or two gpus, only slot 1 and 3 supply that to the GPUs like you said(manual page 1-8), but else you can plug sound cards, tv cards and the likes in all slots besides x8_4 until you run out of lanes, which you shouldn't if you use a single gpu and nothing else crazy like for instance a blackmagic for 4k encoding(PCIEx8). What I don't get is, why not allow 16x in slot 1 and 3 for one gpu and 8x+4x in the other two. PCIE expansion cards seldomly use more than 4 lanes, 8 is a high end streamer card like mentioned above. While the table is inconclusive on this matter imho, the PCIEx8_4 is definitely disabled.

2. Why would the onboard M.2_1 PCIe 3.0 Socket 3 port be disabled for 28 lane CPUs, where do you get this information? M.2_1 PCIe 3.0 x4 Socket 3 at the bottom of the board is connected to the PCH. It shares bandwidth with the onboard U.2 slot when enabled. If it were disabled the onboard U.2 connector would also be dead. Normally you should be able to even do a M.2 Raid 0/1 with a 28 lane CPU. You'd use M.2_1(DIMM.2) per PCH and M.2_1 PCIe 3.0 x4 Socket 3. This exact pairing is necessary to use optane, so the latter can't be disabled if the DIMM.2 isn't installed or optane wouldn't work.

To summearize what I get from the manual:
    The M.2_1 PCIe 3.0 x4 Socket 3 is always shared with the U.2 port(manual 1-28).
    M.2_1(DIMM.2) is shared with the U.2 port when connected per CPU or with the PCIEx4_1 slot when connected per PCH(manual ix or 3-18). Sharing in those two cases means only one is enabled and the other is disabled.
    The M.2_2(DIMM.2) is disabled for 28 lane CPUs and shares PCIEx8_4 on 44 lane CPUs. In this case sharing means that said PCIE slot can only run 4x instead of 8x (manual ix or 3-18)
    That means only if you want to use two M.2 drives or one U.2 and one M.2 drive at the same time you need to use the DIMM.2 module. I want to connect 10 sata drives, that's why I need it. I rather wouldn't used the DIMM.2 module at all though.

To add to the original question: I'm not sure why the speed of the M.2 without raid should be lower in this setup. With raid DMI bandwidth would drag down storage performance to the maximum it can handle.
    I'd be interested in data on how a single M.2 connection directly to CPU or through PCH compare, but I suspect very little, which depends on what exactly is using DMI bandwidth. I also suspect for gaming and normal tasks there won't be a difference anyway, as games need more time to connect to the server than to load the actual game and no game needs to load more than 2 3gb to start. Benchmarks for this are available... Content creation is a different story, but there we also have different typical builds.

If anybody has different information, please provide your sources.
    Official clarification would be be apreciated on those topics:
    Does the PCIEx4 slot also share the DMI bandwidth as it is disabled once you connect the M.2_1(DIMM.2) per PCH.
    What does it mean that the U.2 port is disabled once I use M.2_1 PCIe 3.0 x4 Socket 3 OR M.2_1(DIMM.2) per CPU? Do we even talk the same U.2 connector onboard or is there a DIMM.2 with an additional one? Why is the U.2 connector listed under DIMM.2 and not under PCH?
    If we talk the same U.2 connector, does that mean M.2_1 PCIe 3.0 x4 Socket 3 and M.2_1(DIMM.2) per CPU also exclude each other?
    To be honest, the manual is very unclear on this matter, a simple table what can be conncected together like for the GPUs would be very helpful.

From what I get by logic a table would look like this for a 28 lane CPU, because nothing else is specifically mentioned (x for set, yes/no for availabability in this case):
    M.2_1(DIMM.2) PCH M.2_1(DIMM.2) CPU M.2_1(Socket 3) U.2 PCIEx4_1
    M.2_1(DIMM.2) PCH x no yes yes no
    M.2_1(DIMM.2) CPU no x yes no yes
    M.2_1(Socket 3) yes yes x no yes
    U.2 yes no no x yes
    PCIEx4_1 no yes yes yes x

Too lazy to do it for a 44 lane CPU, as I'm not even sure the 28 lane one is right.

If PCIEx8_2 is really disabled for no reason at all in 1 GPU setups and half the other stuff runs on DMI excluding each other even more than my table says, then 28 lane CPUs are srsly gimped. I actually wanted to plug in a sound card and a tv card as well as use one M.2 slot and one U.2 slot, as it seems it's not sure the U.2 port will work at all once an M.2 is plugged in nor that more than one expansion card will work. I don't see the point in throwing out 400 bucks more for a worse CPU to get more lanes I actually don't need either...
    Last edited by Exzelsior; 09-10-2017 at 11:23 PM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array smithkid PC Specs
    smithkid PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Surface Pro 3
    MotherboardROG Rampage VI Extreme
    Processor7900X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG GTX 1080 STRIX O8G
    Graphics Card #2Asus ROG GTX 1080 STRIX O8G
    Monitor7 various
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2WD 1TB Blue M.2 SSD
    CPU CoolerAquacomputer NEXT cuplex kryos vision cu/cu
    CaseLianli PC-T70FX includes T70-1
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1200i
    Keyboard FILCO Majestouch Convertible 2 BT/USB 104 Key - Cherry Brown
    Mouse Logitech MX Master
    Headset/Speakers Mackie
    OS W10
    Network RouterTP-Link ER-5120

Most here would agree that speed for NMVe would not differ much between CPU & PCH but an engineer (Kris Huang) interviewed by kitguru said it would.
    https://www.kitguru.net/components/m...ge-vi-extreme/

If you set the DIMM.2 to CPU will it make any difference to NVMe speed if both slots are in use?

It shouldn't as DIMM.2 port 1 takes four PCIE lanes from the U.2 port and DIMM.2 port 2 takes four from PCIEx8_4. What boggles my mind is how both M.2_1 ports can share the U.2 port. Either asus got it wrong, which is my guess or the U.2 port also has an option to connect per CPU or pch. Else it wouldn't be possible to use optane at all with any CPU on the R6E and you could only use one M.2 OR U.2 with 28 lane CPUs.

ROG Member Array

Is there a known/verified release date?

ROG Member Array

Release Date

Quote Originally Posted by onmybikedrunk View Post
    is there a known/verified release date?
    bump

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array mpoffo PC Specs
    mpoffo PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel 7900x
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR = 32 GB 3200 Kit
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia Geforce 1080 FE
    Sound CardSound Blaster Z
    MonitorX34 Predator + 2 Samsung Aux Monitors
    Storage #1Samsung 870 EVO 2 TB/850 Evo 500 GB
    Storage #2WD 2 TB & 4TB Black Hard Drives
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Power SupplyCorsair 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum - RGB
    Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE
    Headset Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless SE
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800 RGB Polaris

Quote Originally Posted by rython View Post
    bump
    No official word. I believe Raja said in the past August/Early September but things can change. If it were to fit that timeline then this should be the week but we have speculated before and have been wrong. The recent review of the board I believe is a good indicator that it is moving close to a launch but then again you never know.

Long story short: "It is out when it is out."
    RVIE X299 System:

ROG Enthusiast Array

Amazon UK still have no idea when it's will come out, asked them today via chat...

Page 99 of 193 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 ... LastLast