Page 71 of 193 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 121 171 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Feklar PC Specs
    Feklar PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XII Extreme
    Processori9 10900k
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Trident Z Royal F4-4400C18D-16GTRS
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA w/ Hydro Copper Waterblock
    MonitorLG38gl950g
    Storage #1Samsung 860 Evo 2TB
    Storage #2850 Evo 1TB and 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cooling
    CasePhanteks Enthoo 719
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2
    Keyboard Logitech G513 Carbon
    Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
    Headset Ultrasone Pro 750
    Headset/Speakers Schiit Gungnir DAC w/Violectric V100 Headphone Amp
    OS Windows 10 Professional
    Accessory #1 Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
    Accessory #2 Koolance Fittings and QDC's
    Accessory #3 Tech N CPU block w/EVGA Hydro Copper GPU block

I'm going to wait and see how the heatsink arrangement performs on the R6E. Judging from the naked photo, it looks like it will perform well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1503522114000_IMG_855237.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	66861>

i9 10900k + Asus Maximus XII Extreme + EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
    Trident Z Royal F4-4000C19D-32GTRS + Samsung 860 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Phanteks Enthoo 719 case
    Tech N CPU block, EVGA Hydro Copper GPU block
    Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
    LG 38GL950G Monitor +
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Feklar View Post
    I'm going to wait and see how the heatsink arrangement performs on the R6E. Judging from the naked photo, it looks like it will perform well.
    If you are using an air cooler or AIO, or if you plan on using a CPU-only waterblock, then yes the R6E's redesigned VRM heatsink lets you crank out at least 400W before you start to throttle.

As long as your case has adequate airflow and your room's ambient temp is not really hot, using the R6E's VRM heatsink as-is will not be an issue like the alarm that der8auer previously raised in his YouTube videos.

But some of this thread's discussion involves a custom loop using EK's R6E monoblock. EK has redesigned the cold plate on their X299 monoblocks to include a raised circle on the cold plate that provides better thermal coupling to the CPU's IHS which, according to EK's own testing, cools the CPU 9 degrees-C better than their existing Supremacy EVO CPU-only waterblock. So for me, with plans for a custom loop using EK's 60mm-thick 360mm CoolStream XE radiator, it is far more about getting better CPU cooling using their monoblock instead of their EVO CPU-only waterblock, and it is far less a matter of VRM cooling. The extra VRM cooling from the monoblock is just an extra bonus. If you plan to use a CPU-only waterblock, there is no need to replace the R6E's improved VRM heatsink. But you have to remove that entire heatsink-pipe-heatsink assembly to install the monoblock.

That photo confirms that if we had to provide our own 10G chip heatsink, there is enough room under the I/O cover to use an M.2 heatsink. It also shows just how much aesthetic appeal is added by the Extreme's indium-coated cover plating.
    Last edited by DragonPurr; 08-25-2017 at 01:07 AM.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPurr View Post
    If you look at the "Motherboard Layout" diagram on page 1-2 section 1.1.2 of the R6E User Manual, it only shows an ASMedia USB controller on either side of the "Aquantia" chip. The USB controller chips are very flat chips, and the 10G chip is taller. So unless some taller components are sticking up and not shown on that diagram, I would guess that it is quite possible to use an M.2 heatsink for your DIY 10G-chip heatsink (again, assuming that EK does not address the issue by including an extra heatsink with their R6E monoblock).

But EK is fully aware of the 10G heatsink issue. I seriously doubt that they will just tell R6E monoblock users to go look for their own heatsink. Just guessing...

As for the risk of voiding the warranty, just the action of installing a monoblock or installing a CPU air cooler can void your warranty if you damage the mobo during installation. Various mishaps can happen that void the warranty of a mobo during installation of a custom loop, especially if the person is a novice.

I would not use a liquid adhesive to directly glue the M.2 heatsink to the chip. As I described in my previous post, you can use 3M Automotive double-sided tape on both sides of the the M.2 heatsink to mount it to the mobo and tightly press the heatsink to the thermal pad. Below is an attempt to diagram what I was thinking of. I also tried to use the dashes in proportion to the 3.0" M.2 heatsink length and the 0.5" Aquantia chip length. I hope the diagram aligns properly, with 30 dashes meaning the 3.0-inch heatsink, 5 dashes meaning the 0.5-inch chip length, ========= meaning the 1mm thermal pad coupling the chip to the heatsink, the ### being the position of the double-sided tape, and ||| meaning open space:

------------------------------
    #######|||=========|||########
    #######|||||-----|||||########

You do not use your own adhesive on the chip or thermal pad.
    The other possibility is that Asus does have a heatsink of some sort already on it be it attached via screws or just the pressure of the i/o shield being screwed down on top of the pipe to press it down securely onto the chip with maybe a thermal pad on either side. It may be possible to either screw a heatsink down with one of the screws or have the i/o shield hold it into place when it is screwed down securely. I guess we'll find out.

Ideally you have the chip -> then a layer of adhesive with a square cut out around the chip -> a thermal pad that touches the chip with adhesive at the ends to attach it to the chip layer -> more adhesive on the topside with still the square cut out -> finally the sink.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Brighttail View Post
    Ideally you have the chip -> then a layer of adhesive with a square cut out around the chip -> a thermal pad that touches the chip with adhesive at the ends to attach it to the chip layer -> more adhesive on the topside with still the square cut out -> finally the sink.
    Most mobo heatsinks have screws mounting them to the mobo, instead of just relying on the I/O cover to apply pressure onto the heatsink.

If by "adhesive", you are referring to some kind of liquid adhesive, I would never use any liqud adhesive at all. It is too messy, and too risky of oozing onto other stuff. And I definitely would not be putting adhesive on either side of a thermal pad, even to attach the ends of the thermal pad. And that is all too unnecessarily complicated.

EK's monoblocks and M.2 heatsinks include thermal pads where you just peel off the plastic cover and sandwich the thermal pad in between the M.2/MOSFETs/inductors and the M.2 heatsink or monoblock. No adhesive is needed, and it works just fine that way. Installing the EK M.2 heatsink is literally like making a submarine sandwich to eat - the two sides of the heatsink are the bread, the two thermal pads are the lettuce and cheese, and the M.2 is the meat in the middle.
    Last edited by DragonPurr; 08-25-2017 at 01:46 AM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Looks like Caseking has the extreme available.. ..

https://www.caseking.de/en/asus-rog-...-mbas-334.html

New ROGer Array

Does the R6E onboard audio support Dolby Digital Live and/or DTS Connect?

I looked through the Asus product page and the PDF manual and there is no mention of this, but I would expect on a flagship board they would have this enabled. Can anyone confirm? Raja?

Quote Originally Posted by BroPhilip View Post
    Looks like Caseking has the extreme available.. ..

https://www.caseking.de/en/asus-rog-...-mbas-334.html
    Woohoo!! Let's all do the Thank God It's Extreme Friday happy dance and hope that it shows up in the U.S. tomorrow!

Hmm, 649 Euros converts directly to $765 USD. I hope it still stays as the $649.99 USD MSRP that Raja previously mentioned. B&H has $649.99 as the pre-order price.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Hopper64 PC Specs
    Hopper64 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus R6EE Bios 0702
    Processori9 10900X @ 5.0 1.37V VCore
    Memory (part number)GSkill F4-4000C18Q2-64GTZR
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra
    Sound CardCreative SB AE7
    MonitorAsus ROG PG349Q
    Storage #1Intel 905p M.2 360G
    CPU CoolerEKWB Magnitude RGB and Quantum Kinetic D5
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard Asus Strix Flare
    Mouse Asus ROG Gladius II Origin
    OS Windows 10 64

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPurr View Post
    That gives me an idea. He's using slot number 4 for his video card. I'm running a single card myself. As far as lane allocation, I guess you can use slot 4 for the video card to run x16 3.0 and then use a sound card or an add on USB card if you wanted and not compromise the video card running at *x16 I suppose. Am I wrong about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopper64 View Post
    That gives me an idea. He's using slot number 4 for his video card. I'm running a single card myself. As far as lane allocation, I guess you can use slot 4 for the video card to run x16 3.0 and then use a sound card or an add on USB card if you wanted and not compromise the video card running at *x16 I suppose. Am I wrong about this?
    According to the R6E User Manual, that seems like it should work okay with your GPU in the PCIe x16/x8_3 slot running at x16, and other non-GPU PCIe cards should not affect it. Raja, can you confirm?

I have already decided that I am putting my single GPU at the very bottom x8_4 slot, one slot lower, which then leaves the entire RGB-lit PCIe armor area fully uncovered. My R6E non-gaming video/photo-processing workstation build specs will be:

In Win Tou 2.0 case
    In Win 1065-watt illuminated mirrored glass power supply
    i9-7900X CPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Quick Silver GPU
    8x8GB 64-GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB RAM F4-3200C14Q2-64GTZR (32-GB for applications, 32-GB for RAM Disk where all data I/O stays for the duration of processing)
    3x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO NVMe M.2
    6x 1TB Crucial MX300 2.5" SATA SSDs (if you have the MX300, you should update firmware to the latest M0CR050 to fix important bugs with its error correction routines)
    2x EK NVMe M.2 Nickel Heatsinks
    EK CoolStream XE 360 radiator and Revo D5 pump combo
    6x Corsair ML120 Pro LED for the XE 360 in push-pull
    3x Corsair HD120 and 1x Corsair HD140 RGB fans, with Corsair Commander Pro

The GTX 1070 GPU's main function is to provide CUDA hardware acceleration in Adobe Premiere, along with 4K display. I will plug the single 1070 GPU into the PCIEx8_4 bottom slot because I previously created a mirrored GPU backplate for it and it will look really cool to have the full RGB-lit armor trace lines reflecting off of the GPU's mirrored backplate running along the bottom of the mobo. I will also totally cover the other four unused PCIe slots with long rectangles of shimmery chameleon-like cover-shifting fused glass that have iridescent lines running across the glass to complement the Asus armor's RGB-lit trace lines. With my setup, the fourth PCIEx8_4 slot will operate as x4, instead of x8, with a single VGA and the DIMM.2 M.2_2 being used, but even then, the PCIe 3.0 x4 4 GB/sec bandwidth is more than enough for my needs. Placing the 1070 in the very bottom slot also results in a very short and tidy 6-pin/8-pin PCIE cable run. I am not water-cooling the 1070 in order to keep most of the entire mobo area free of cables and tubing, other than the tubes for the monoblock.

Just waiting on the R6E and EK R6E monoblock...
    Last edited by DragonPurr; 08-25-2017 at 06:29 AM.

Page 71 of 193 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 121 171 ... LastLast