Page 132 of 193 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 130 131 132 133 134 142 182 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1925
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array smithkid PC Specs
    smithkid PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Surface Pro 3
    MotherboardROG Rampage VI Extreme
    Processor7900X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG GTX 1080 STRIX O8G
    Graphics Card #2Asus ROG GTX 1080 STRIX O8G
    Monitor7 various
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2WD 1TB Blue M.2 SSD
    CPU CoolerAquacomputer NEXT cuplex kryos vision cu/cu
    CaseLianli PC-T70FX includes T70-1
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1200i
    Keyboard FILCO Majestouch Convertible 2 BT/USB 104 Key - Cherry Brown
    Mouse Logitech MX Master
    Headset/Speakers Mackie
    OS W10
    Network RouterTP-Link ER-5120

Extreme and Workstation

Quote Originally Posted by Vislor72 View Post
    I agree with the assessment on the 7940X. Based on the specs that Intel has released, the 7940X seems to hit the sweet spot (for me anyway) for a machine that will primarily be used as a workstation but have occasional use playing games. I was originally going to get the 7920X, but after seeing the final 7940X specs it has a higher base frequency, better TJunction Max, and probably better OC headroom. Based on all this I had already decided to get the 7940X.

In the meantime I have a 7800X that I am using to test my RVIE. Also, I am considering delidding and so the 7800X will be a "practice" chip for that, to see if I really want to delid a CPU that cost $1100 more....
    No one here seems to mention the ASUS WS boards and yet talk about workstation needs. I have never owned an extreme but have has the last 3 WS's with PLX and just love them for that purpose. I am going with the R6E for:

1.Not sure if there will be a X299 WS (it is never mentioned) and if so when!.
    2.Big + for the WS was the lanes especially with PLX but now we have 44 "real lanes" from the CPU.
    3.BLING - the WS boards just don't have it.

Just saying if you wanted all that video processing ability those boards had it in spades without going for the more expensive server boards and chips.

New ROGer Array Addiecool PC Specs
    Addiecool PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage VI APEX
    ProcessorIntel 7900X OC to 4.6Ghz Custom Loop
    Memory (part number)Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000 Mhz CL14
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080TI FE Watercooled
    Graphics Card #2GTX 1080TI FE Watercooled
    MonitorAsus PG279Q 165Hz 27"
    Storage #1Samsung 960EVO NVME
    Storage #2Kingston HyperX 240 GB PCIE M.2
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop EKWB
    CaseCorsoair Obsidian 900D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Razer Deathadder
    Mouse Razer Gaming Mouse
    Mouse Pad iChill
    Headset/Speakers B&O
    OS Windows 10

I finished setting up my Asus Extreme VI build. Few things I noticed from my APEX build which is identical except the board

1. The Extreme fan profiles are quieter out of the box.
    2. The EXtreme DOES NOT THROTTLE. I emphasize this as for some reason the APEX has realbench / CPUZ scores all over the place. Like at times it was 5900 under CPUZ and at times 7000 and in 15 mins the CPUZ scores would fall to 200 and stay there. I checked VRM temps and other throttles and there were no throttles reported at all with the APEX / 7900 (oc'd and delidded to 4.7Ghz). Still the scores would suffer. BIOS 0802 didn't improve things. The Extreme is stable at 7100 for 3 hours. I have rebooted many times and checked again. No change. Currently running 7900 (OC's to 4.7ghz delided @ 1.238 VOLTS). Seems like there were more than a few improvements that delayed the Extreme
    3. Looks, looks, looks.

Pictures coming soon.

Cheers!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPurr View Post
    If you are going to delid your 7800X yourself, are you using a delidding tool (der8auer's tool has not been released yet), or a razor blade, or a chisel and bench vise, or....?

Keep in mind that from the 7920X on up, the CPU die is about 40% to 50% larger than the die on the 7800X/7820X/7900X, so the bigger 7940X die is closer to the glue line under the IHS and the SMT resistors and capacitors are all very close to the glue line. It might be worth it to have SiliconLottery delid it for you.
    I have der8auers's tool on order, though as you mention it hasn't been released yet. I'm still not sure yet that I will delid. My plan is to run my eventual CPU (very very likely to be a 7940X) under a temporary water-cooler setup just to see how it cools. If I can get clocks and temps I'm happy with without the delidding then I won't, it just depends on my luck in the silicon lottery whether I decide to delid or not.

And sending it SIliconLottery is an option as well, especially if after using der8auer's tool on a cheaper CPU I find that I'm not comfortable with the process because of either the tool or the larger die size of the HCC chips. I have delidded in the past so I'm not new to it, but obviously the size of the SKL-X dies makes this a whole new ballgame.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by smithkid View Post
    No one here seems to mention the ASUS WS boards and yet talk about workstation needs. I have never owned an extreme but have has the last 3 WS's with PLX and just love them for that purpose. I am going with the R6E for:

1.Not sure if there will be a X299 WS (it is never mentioned) and if so when!.
    2.Big + for the WS was the lanes especially with PLX but now we have 44 "real lanes" from the CPU.
    3.BLING - the WS boards just don't have it.

Just saying if you wanted all that video processing ability those boards had it in spades without going for the more expensive server boards and chips.
    Yea, I know

My machine at the office is a full-blown Xeon workstation. For my home machines I suppose they have always been more accurately described as a workstation / gaming rig hybrid, and for home use that has always suited me quite well.

And as you say, there's the bling! When I saw the first pictures of the R6E from Computex earlier this year I was like "Yep. That's my next motherboard right there." It's probably the best looking board I've ever had the privilege of using.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

EK posted the Installation Manual for their R6E monoblock this morning. The clear-nickel and black R6E monoblock versions point to two separate PDF files, but they are identical files, so both versions could have just accessed one PDF file.

When I compared the R6E monoblock installation manual to the MSI X299 Pro Carbon EK monoblock's manual that I already have, both manuals are nearly identical, with exactly the same bag contents of screws and washers, and the only difference in the steps is in "STEP 1: PREPARING YOUR MOTHERBOARD", you remove 6 screws on the R6E for the VRM heatsink, I/O cover, and I/O heatsink, and just 2 screws on the VRM heatsink for the MSI monoblock. When I previously placed my MSI EK clear-nickel monoblock on the R6E, it looked exactly the same in size as the R6E clear-nickel monoblock, so all of EK's X299 monoblocks use the same cold plate, and the only difference is in the separate metal block that mounts to the VRM heatsink's two screw holes with each mobo's different screw hole placement.

There is no mention of a replacement 10G chip heatsink for installation under the I/O cover. But the R6E monoblock Installation Manuals says: "Revision 1.0. Published on September 8 th 2017". So I hope they just did not bother to update the Installation Manual and will still include the 10G chip heatsink, since many people, including me, have been asking them about that.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3830046994486.pdf

Edit: Considering that ALL of EK's X299 monoblock Installation Manuals have the exact same 5-step diagrams, maybe their technical writer got lazy and decided not to add more steps and diagrams just for the sake of diagramming the installation of a replacement 10G-chip heatsink that is just unique to the R6E.

i.e. I am giving EK every benefit of the doubt that they will still include a 10G-chip heatsink in their R6E monoblock package ;-)
    Last edited by DragonPurr; 09-22-2017 at 05:59 PM.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array tistou77 PC Specs
    tistou77 PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme Encore
    Processor10980XE @4.6Ghz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
    Sound CardXonar Phoebus
    MonitorDell U2721DE
    Storage #1Intel Optane 905P PCIe
    Storage #2Samsung 980 Pro
    CPU CoolerWatercooling
    CaseLian Li A77F
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
    Keyboard Logitech LIK
    Mouse Logitech MX revolution
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

It will surprise me that there is a "support" under water for the chip 10G, there are the ram between this chip and the VRM (and CPU)
    I do not see how EKWB will be able to extend their WB to this chip
    Sorry for my english

Case: Lian Li A77F
    MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
    CPU: i9 10980XE
    RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
    GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
    PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
    DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPurr View Post
    EK posted the Installation Manual for their R6E monoblock this morning. The clear-nickel and black R6E monoblock versions point to two separate PDF files, but they are identical files, so both versions could have just accessed one PDF file.

When I compared the R6E monoblock installation manual to the MSI X299 Pro Carbon EK monoblock's manual that I already have, both manuals are nearly identical, with exactly the same bag contents of screws and washers, and the only difference in the steps is in "STEP 1: PREPARING YOUR MOTHERBOARD", you remove 6 screws on the R6E for the VRM heatsink, I/O cover, and I/O heatsink, and just 2 screws on the VRM heatsink for the MSI monoblock. When I previously placed my MSI EK clear-nickel monoblock on the R6E, it looked exactly the same in size as the R6E clear-nickel monoblock, so all of EK's X299 monoblocks use the same cold plate, and the only difference is in the separate metal block that mounts to the VRM heatsink's two screw holes with each mobo's different screw hole placement.

There is no mention of a replacement 10G chip heatsink for installation under the I/O cover. But the R6E monoblock Installation Manuals says: "Revision 1.0. Published on September 8 th 2017". So I hope they just did not bother to update the Installation Manual and will still include the 10G chip heatsink, since many people, including me, have been asking them about that.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3830046994486.pdf

Edit: Considering that ALL of EK's X299 monoblock Installation Manuals have the exact same 5-step diagrams, maybe their technical writer got lazy and decided not to add more steps and diagrams just for the sake of diagramming the installation of a replacement 10G-chip heatsink that is just unique to the R6E.

i.e. I am giving EK every benefit of the doubt that they will still include a 10G-chip heatsink in their R6E monoblock package ;-)
    Well it is nice that they are putting something up. So nothing on the 10G chip (I fired them off an email) I also noticed that there is nothing in there about putting the I/O cover back on. I know that should be obvious but you'd think they'd put it into the PDF. I do see in the diagram where they are putting the monoblock back on, the i/o cover is there so who knows. It is a nitpicky thing but meh.

I do think this is a lazy person putting together the PDF because the 'accessories' are the same for all the other monoblocks and don't include the 'thumbscrews'. There are parts that aren't even necessary 'included'. So hopefully another revision is coming out soon.

I ordered some thermal grizzly paste and pads for this.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Brighttail View Post
    Well it is nice that they are putting something up. So nothing on the 10G chip (I fired them off an email) I also noticed that there is nothing in there about putting the I/O cover back on. I know that should be obvious but you'd think they'd put it into the PDF. I do see in the diagram where they are putting the monoblock back on, the i/o cover is there so who knows. It is a nitpicky thing but meh.

I do think this is a lazy person putting together the PDF because the 'accessories' are the same for all the other monoblocks and don't include the 'thumbscrews'. There are parts that aren't even necessary 'included'. So hopefully another revision is coming out soon.

I ordered some thermal grizzly paste and pads for this.
    If you can follow their instructions to remove the VRM heatsink and I/O cover screws, and if you are installing a water loop anyway, it is a very safe assumption that you are mechanically-inclined enough to put things back together. It just takes less than one minute to remove the screws, I/O cover, and heatsink-heatpipe-heatsink assembly, and screw the I/O cover back on. Or two minutes if you are slow with a screwdriver or proceeding slow and cautious.

What the Installation Manual does not mention, but should, is that there are two detachable wires that connect the I/O cover to two LED/OLED headers on the mobo underneath the top PCIe armor shield. So you do not want to just quickly lift the I/O cover off since that may yank or even damage the wire connections if you pull hard enough. So you need to carefully lift the I/O cover off and move it out of the way, because it is tethered to the PCIe armor by the LED and OLED cables. The cables are detachable on both ends at the i/O cover and mobo connections, if you wanted to totally remove the I/O cover.
    Last edited by DragonPurr; 09-22-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tistou77 View Post
    It will surprise me that there is a "support" under water for the chip 10G, there are the ram between this chip and the VRM (and CPU)
    I do not see how EKWB will be able to extend their WB to this chip
    No, the 10G chip will not also be water-cooled, and it really doesn't need anything more than a 2-inch finned heatsink. Our discussions on this thread have been about having EK provide a replacement heatsink for the chip.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array tistou77 PC Specs
    tistou77 PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme Encore
    Processor10980XE @4.6Ghz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
    Sound CardXonar Phoebus
    MonitorDell U2721DE
    Storage #1Intel Optane 905P PCIe
    Storage #2Samsung 980 Pro
    CPU CoolerWatercooling
    CaseLian Li A77F
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
    Keyboard Logitech LIK
    Mouse Logitech MX revolution
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Aa ok, so I do not think EK will provide replacement heatsink but maybe
    Sorry for my english

Case: Lian Li A77F
    MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
    CPU: i9 10980XE
    RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
    GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
    PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
    DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

Page 132 of 193 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 130 131 132 133 134 142 182 ... LastLast