Page 10 of 193 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 ... LastLast
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMeijer10 View Post
    What is the reason it's taking so long? Is it the VRM cooling? Or something else?
    They are on planned schedule. Nothing about the public release is abnormal from a development point of view.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    They are on planned schedule. Nothing about the public release is abnormal from a development point of view.
    At Computex they said it would be end of july. So we can expect something more today (or the next few days)?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMeijer10 View Post
    At Computex they said it would be end of july. So we can expect something more today (or the next few days)?
    Schedules are always give or take a couple of weeks, so shouldn't be too long. Estimate shipping from HQ in week 33, and the rest is down to local offices, distributors, and retail chains.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Thomas extreme gamer PC Specs
    Thomas extreme gamer PC Specs
    MotherboardROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME
    ProcessorIntel Core™ i9-9900K
    Memory (part number)32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
    Graphics Card #1GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Cardon board
    MonitorROG PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 1TB 970 PRO
    CPU CoolerROG RYUJIN 360 6x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM
    CaseView 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition 6x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W
    Keyboard ROG Horus GK2000 RGB
    Mouse ROG Sica
    Mouse Pad ROG Scabbard
    OS Windows 10 pro 64 bit (1903)
    Accessory #1 custom built pc from AVADirect

Does the rampage vi extreme support aio cpu water coolers?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Hi davemon50, thank you for your very thoughtful replies. Here are my replies to edited excerpts from your replies, without all the nested quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by davemon50 View Post
    By the way, with only a couple posts by you here on this forum, and with the beautiful way you wrote your posts, you actually sound like a technical reviewer who is here to collect additional information for your next blog. That's not a bad thing, just observational...
    Errrm, thanks for the "beautiful way you wrote your posts" compliment Well, in this age of TL;DR brevity where conversations are conducted using four-letter acronyms sent via text message, I still like to write full paragraphs. I never troll on forums and I hope that my verbosity is worth the time to read. English is actually my second language. I was born in Taipei, Taiwan on the Year of the Dragon, and I also have several dragon tattoos, thus the user name "DragonPurr". Chinese is my first language, then English, and I also speak fluent German, Spanish, and Brazilian Portuguese. I do not operate any blogs or YouTube channels. I have operated eight personal Web sites since the 1990s, but they are all password-protected to only allow friends and family and business associates, and to keep out spambots, disallow search engine robots, and block random Web surfers who happen to pass by. As for being a "reviewer", I have been an Amazon Vine reviewer for almost 10 years now, since 2007. I have reviewed numerous pre-built computers, desktops, laptops, RAM memory, keyboards, mice, Oculus and HTC VR headsets, display monitors, printers, scanners, routers, networking gear, as well as hundreds of food items, books, mattresses, furniture, clothing, and thousands of other consumer electronics items. But I have never received a free motherboard, CPU, or power supply for review. As for being "technical", I have been working with computer hardware for 30+ years. While I studied full-time at UT-Austin during the 1980s, I was working part-time at IBM and I was involved in many phases of IBM's manufacturing of PC/XT and PC/AT PCs that IBM assembled using lots of state-of-the-art high-speed robotics. At the same time that I was helping IBM build PCs in Austin, another UT-Austin student, Michael Dell, was building and selling PC clones from his dorm room. But I never personally knew Dell. After college, I previously developed complex signal analysis algorithms that processed terabytes of seismic data on Cray X-MP and Y-MP supercomputers for a major energy company, and I previously supervised operations for eBay's worldwide data center.

I periodically lurk in the discussion forums of Asus, MSI, Corsair, In Win, and dozens of others. But I rarely post or comment. Prior to the Web, I used to be an active participant in hundreds of Usenet newsgroups, sometimes even getting pulled into flame wars. But with such a glut of online content now, I usually quickly skim and scan online forums. The only reason I finally posted on the ROG forum was because I was hoping to get an idea of when the RVIE would be released and its expected MSRP. I posed this question to Asus on Facebook twice, but they never replied back. After reading all 8 pages of this thread and not seeing anything new, I decided to finally de-lurk and add a post.

Would I still LIKE 10 ports? Yes I would, no brainer for me. Plus, I just like to have a lot of stuff, lol. But if something had to go, I would be okay with a 4 port loss. If you were to add 1 more M.2 slot to my existing R5E, I currently could live with only 7 SATA ports with no other changes. So I'm not far from being down to 6 now, with only some minor adjustments.
    Yes, having 3 on-board M.2 slots certainly helps. One of the three main reasons I am considering the MSI X299 XPower Gaming AC is that, along with 3 on-board M.2 slots like the RVIE, it includes a dual-M.2 PCIe card, and the 10 SATA ports. Yes, you can buy third-part PCIe cards that add additional SATA ports and/or M.2 SSDs, but they do not always work reliably as the ports bundled by the manufacturer (e.g. look up reviews of StarTech's various PCIe SATA and M.2 add-in cards). In my previous i7-7700K workstation build, I had two 8-GB 7200-RPM hard drives along with 6 2.5" SSDs. The MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium, ASRock Z270 Supercarrier, and Asus ROG Maximus IX Extreme all had more than 6 SATA ports. With the heat output of the i9-7900X and the X299 VRMs, I am moving the two 8-TB 7200-RPM drives to external enclosures, and using a entire bank of 2.5" SSDs instead so no internal hard drives add to interior heat. SSD prices and DDR4 RAM prices are trending in opposite directions. SSDs become better and cheaper as time goes on, while DDR4 RAM is at least double and almost triple the cost compared to just one year ago.

I know this will sound cliché, but the fact remains for any consumer. Brand loyalty, and prior experience.
    Well, this is where you and I differ quite a bit. I can honestly say that I have minimal brand loyalty when it comes to computers, most electronics, cars, clothing, grocery items, restaurants, movies made by specific directors, and most other consumer items. Many companies have some really great products, as well as the occasional "what were they thinking?!?" terrible products. I do have "brand loyalty" for some service-oriented businesses. For example, like most people, I have the same stylist cut my hair every month. The closest thing to a "brand loyalty" of mine is that all 5 of my dSLR cameras and all 8 lenses are Canon. I like Canon's lenses the best, but I think that Nikon makes better camera bodies than Canon. If you also own multiple camera lenses, you understand how your collection of lenses can keep you stuck to one brand of camera body.

Having too much brand loyalty can also be blinding. If you read all the pure nonsense, lies, misinformation, and expletives being spread by AMD fanboys in the comments section of YouTube videos and news articles about Intel's X-series and X299 motherboards, they are totally blinded by their brand loyalty.

As for motherboards, I have used two previous Gigabyte mobos, and many mobos from both Asus and MSI. ASRock seems to always pack a ton of features into their mobos for the lowest prices, but I have never used them. For example, ASRock's flagship X299 Fatal1ty Gaming i9 Professional also features the same Aquantia 10G LAN that the RVIE uses, 3 on-board M.2 slots, and 10 SATA ports, 13-phase VRM, all for just $390. But when I looked into the details of that mobo, their M.2 slots share bandwidth with their SATA slots so you have that really annoying limitation of "if you use these M.2 slots, then those SATA ports are disabled". The MSI X299 XPower still gives me 1 on-board M.2, 2 PCIe card M.2, and 10 usable SATA ports for 13 storage options; or 3 on-board M.2, 2 PCIe M.2, and 7 usable SATA ports for 12 storage options; and many other combinations. Gigabyte's flagship X299 Aorus Gaming 9 has the most RGB board lighting of any X299 mobo. Some people think all of the RGB lighting on the Gaming 9 looks garish. I like it. And judging from the numerous YouTube videos of people showing their Gaming 9 builds, a lot of other people bought it because of its pretty RGBs. But I removed the Aorus Gaming 9 from my consideration because they used lower-grade chokes, probably because they use the exact same VRM design on their Gaming 3, 7, and 9 mobos. So to keep the cost down on their Gaming 3, they used cheaper 50-amp chokes compared to the 60-amp chokes on the MSI XPower. I believe the Asus Rampage Apex and Extreme also both use 60A chokes.

So for me, it boils down to either the Asus RVIE or MSI XPower, which, as I mentioned above, was why I de-lurked and finally posted on this forum. And as mentioned, even though the Apex is very appealing for my workstation needs, I need 64-GB RAM, I already have an 8x8-GB quad-channel set, and I really don't want to spend another $500+ on a 4x16-GB quad channel RAM set. One factor that may ultimately sway me towards the RVIE is that EKWB will be releasing a monoblock for the RVIE at the end of August. And EKWB told me that they have no plans for an MSI X299 XPower monoblock. My first i9-7900X build used the MSI X299 Pro Carbon AC with an EK Supremacy EVO water block and a big EK CoolStream XE 360 radiator. At 4.7 GHz and 1.25V vcore, my CPU temperatures hover in the 60s and VRM is sitting very comfortably in the 50s. But EKWB released a monoblock for the X299 Pro Carbon last week that supposedly will cool the VRM down into the 30s and cool the CPU another 10-C even compared to their Supremacy EVO water block. So I ordered the Pro Carbon monoblock and will see if I can nudge the overclock up to 4.8 GHz, especially once winter arrives and my thermostat is set to 60-F with the snow flying outside.

EKWB told me that their monoblock for the RVIE is currently in the design phase and they plan to release it at the end of August. Considering that their MSI X299 Pro Carbon monoblock was released four weeks after the Pro Carbon was released, I am not sure if that implies the RVIE will be released within the next one or two weeks. I did not ask if EKWB will make a monoblock for the Apex.

Always future proof yourself in computer technology. However, that is also a fallacy, because you simply can't !
    This is very true, which was why I mentioned that if someone does not currently have 10G Ethernet speed and a 802.11ad router, that is less of an attractive feature on the RVIE, because by the time that you may eventually get 10G Internet access, you may have already upgraded to a new motherboard that includes 10G LAN and a newer CPU socket. I have heard absurd explanations from people who added 128 GB of DDR4 RAM to their gaming rig as a way of "future-proofing". But faster DDR5 RAM will be available by 2020, which will also eventually cause the crazy overinflated DDR4 prices to finally deflate.

it's mostly about workflows. Apparently the industry sees the next generation of workflows adopting those technologies above, the cloud storage and massive online backups.
    Meh... I have no interest in dumping 280 TB of files onto cloud storage as a backup. All my 4-TB and 6-TB hard drives are mirrored in 2-bay and 4-bay JBOD enclosures, labeled, and stacked in a bookshelf. If there existed a NAS server that can house 80 or 100 hard drives, I would consider that. My one vulnerability is if my entire house burned down. But I could simply move the mirrored drive enclosures to a different location to insure against that total data loss. I keep my home office data management very simple. Years ago, I set up a MySQL database server to track all the files on all the hard drive enclosures. But now all the information is stored in simple tab-delimited CSV text files, and I use a small collection of custom Python scripts to search the contents using regular expression wildcards, sort and sift, query, generate printable reports, etc, and I have Python scripts that automatically monitor and record the SMART data on all my hard drives and SSDs. I also do not use proprietary databases and catalogs such as Adobe Ligthroom's catalog and others. It just takes one or two seconds for me to use my Python scripts to perform a query or editing operation on my text-file databases that reside on an M.2 SSD.

There are some cloud-based password managers, but I use a password manager that uses strong encryption and stores the database locally on my computer. Cloud-based password management offers conveniences of being accessible anywhere. But considering that banks and the NSA are getting hacked, I do not want all of my user names, passwords, and site associations to be stolen in a security breach on the cloud service, even if the data is encrypted on their cloud server and only I have the master password. There are even cloud-based password-cracking software you can use now to accelerate the cracking of passwords.

The only reason that the cost would temporarily be higher at up to $700 is because the bell curve of sales for the "previous generation" X99 boards has not reached its inevitable end
    But the X99 and X299 do not have compatible interchangeable CPU sockets. So it is not as if the companies do not want to cannibalize sales of their previous model. Each company's X299 mobo is not competing with their previous X99 models, especially since the previous 10-core i7-6950X still costs $600 more than the i9-7900X, even though the i9-7900X is faster than the i7-6950X while using thermal paste instead of the i7-6950X's solder. Each company's flagship X299 mobo is competing against the balance of features and price of other competitors' best flagship X299 mobos. Of course, early adopters of new technology releases always pay a premium, both in terms of premium higher pricing and a higher probability of encountering various bugs and issues. Both the pricing and the initial bugs and problems decrease if you wait at least several weeks or several months. Some of the X299 motherboard retail prices have already dropped a little, either due to sales or mail-in rebates.

One final comment:

I noticed that Raja@Asus replied to me by saying, "Someone with your mindset may be better off with an X299-A or something equivalent from another vendor". Raja, I am not looking for a cheap bargain motherboard. I am looking for the best combination of features for my needs. And that includes great robust power delivery and flexible I/O options. My previous post presented questions of why people consider the RVIE to be worth $700 if that is the actual initial price. Everyone has their breaking point, and I think $700 would cause a chorus of teeth-gnashing from people wanting to buy the RVIE. Having already purchased two i9-7900X CPUs, I am obviously not looking for the cheapest bargain. I probably will not buy the 18-core i9-7980XE when it is released in October/November......... unless, at $2000, it is more than twice as fast as the $1000 i9-7900X. I have a sneaky suspicion that some motherboard companies may release additional new "flagship X299" motherboards before the end of this year to support the 16 and 18 core X CPUs. I am still not satisfied with the redesigned VRM heatsink on the RVIE and RVIA. If you look at the heatsinks and thick heat pipes on the Asus X99-E WS, *THAT* is how to properly design a robust heatsink/heatpipe assembly. With the X299 mobos, all the companies are guilty of focusing on style instead of function, and their mobos may slam into further power delivery and heat management issues with the 18-core i9-7980XE without another round of redesigns. But in the event that no additional X299 mobos are released with a true server-grade VRM and heatsink design and I end up wanting the 16 or 18 core X CPU, I am scrutinizing the power delivery on the RVIE and RVIA for my second i9 build.
    Last edited by DragonPurr; 07-31-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas extreme gamer View Post
    Does the rampage vi extreme support aio cpu water coolers?

Plenty of headers for pumps and fans. FWIW the AIO header on ASUS boards is just a pump header that has Q_Fan control disabled by default. Nothing special about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPurr View Post
    One final comment:

I noticed that Raja@Asus replied to me by saying, "Someone with your mindset may be better off with an X299-A or something equivalent from another vendor". Raja, I am not looking for a cheap bargain motherboard. I am looking for the best combination of features for my needs. And that includes great robust power delivery and flexible I/O options. My previous post presented questions of why people consider the RVIE to be worth $700 if that is the actual initial price. Everyone has their breaking point, and I think $700 would cause a chorus of teeth-gnashing from people wanting to buy the RVIE. Having already purchased two i9-7900X CPUs, I am obviously not looking for the cheapest bargain. I probably will not buy the 18-core i9-7980XE when it is released in October/November......... unless, at $2000, it is more than twice as fast as the $1000 i9-7900X. I have a sneaky suspicion that some motherboard companies may release additional new "flagship X299" motherboards before the end of this year to support the 16 and 18 core X CPUs. I am still not satisfied with the redesigned VRM heatsink on the RVIE and RVIA. If you look at the heatsinks and thick heat pipes on the Asus X99-E WS, *THAT* is how to properly design a robust heatsink/heatpipe assembly. With the X299 mobos, all the companies are guilty of focusing on style instead of function, and their mobos may slam into further power delivery and heat management issues with the 18-core i9-7980XE without another round of redesigns. But in the event that no additional X299 mobos are released with a true server-grade VRM and heatsink design and I end up wanting the 16 or 18 core X CPU, I am scrutinizing the power delivery on the RVIE and RVIA for my second i9 build.

Just slap a monoblock on one of the current boards and you won't need to worry about VRM cooling. Plenty of options out there. Flagship is always high price. No need to go there if the features don't fit the bill.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Schedules are always give or take a couple of weeks, so shouldn't be too long. Estimate shipping from HQ in week 33, and the rest is down to local offices, distributors, and retail chains.
    Week 33 begins August 13th.

Going to set the R6E RGBs to a nice "TRON" static blue with 4 GSkill 3200MHz 14latency RGB modules to sync with the ROG Aura software. Then layer two hyper white strips off a separate Aquaero 6 LT controller bright for building/troubleshooting.

Grabbing an 8-core 7820X binned from Siliconlottery.com at 4.8GHz, already purchased (2) Intel Optane Memory NVMe 32GB SSDs for the DIMM.2 riser card in RAID 0. May pick up 2 more Optane SSDs if the R6E can support a 3rd M.2 under the TRON Armor, along with an AquaComputer Kryo M.2 EVO riser card in PCIe slot number 4, so (4) 32GB sticks total or 128GB in RAID 0. That should be enough capacity until the Intel 900P Optane SSDs launch later this year.

GO ROG!

why are my photos upside down Raja Sir?
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos IMG_1356.jpg  

IMG_1331.jpg  

Last edited by iBruceypoo; 07-31-2017 at 09:31 AM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Just slap a monoblock on one of the current boards and you won't need to worry about VRM cooling. Plenty of options out there. Flagship is always high price. No need to go there if the features don't fit the bill.
    (sigh...) I sense a lot of defensiveness coming from you, simply because I am discussing pricing. And you don't understand my other comments that extend well beyond VRM cooling for my purchasing decision. (shrug...)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPurr View Post
    (sigh...) I sense a lot of defensiveness coming from you, simply because I am discussing pricing. And you don't understand my other comments that extend well beyond VRM cooling for my purchasing decision. (shrug...)
    Not at all. Just sensing a lot of over-deliberation, so I'm giving you level-headed advice.

Page 10 of 193 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 ... LastLast