cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone having BIOS freeze/bootup issues with 1080ti & Maximus IX Code?

Wazooda
Level 7
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with the IX Code and a 1080ti card; in my case the EVGA Founders edition and the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING.

First, here is a rundown of my components:

I7-7700k CPU
Samsung 960 Pro NVMe
32GB G.Skill DDR4-3200 RAM (F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB)
EVGA 1080ti Founders Addition
EVGA 850 G2 GOLD PSU

Problems Encountered:

The system would only boot into Windows 10 64-bit approx. 30% of the time. Boot failure manifested itself in the following ways:

No BIOS splash screen nor video output of any kind accompanied by a Q-Code of 94
Freezing at the BIOS splash screen with Q-Code 99
Ability to enter BIOS but would quickly freeze after moving through the menus
Random reboots after pressing DEL from the BIOS splash screen before it entered into BIOS options
Random reboots while in UEFI BIOS but prior to freezing in the BIOS

It should be noted, that once I actually got INTO Windows, everything ran perfectly.

Troubleshooting Undertaken:

I updated the BIOS to the latest from 0801 to 0906: no change.

I ran a full MEMTEST86 and got zero errors.

At the suggestion of ASUS support, I disconnected the cables from the video card and went directly to the motherboard video. This solved the problem. To determine if the issue was my new Founders 1080ti card, I used a SECOND 1080ti card that I have in another ASUS system (Maximus VI Hero) which runs perfectly. When I replace card #1 with card #2 (the SC Gaming version), the problems were identical thus eliminating the issue being the video card.

I then tried running the video card in the second PCI-e x8 slot to see if the issue is the x16 slot. Same problems exist.

So... I got an RMA to ASUS for this board, but as I couldn't afford to be down for long (and I plan on upgrading a second system anyway), I went and purchased a second IX Code to replace the board being RMA'd. I then put all the same components into the new board.

Unfortunately, while not as severe as the first Code board, the second Maximus IX Code still has some similar problems

For example, I am still, occasionally, unable to even get to the boot BIOS screen with a Q-Code of 94.

In addition, although it does not freeze NEARLY as much as it did with the other motherboard while in the BIOS, it *has* still occasionally frozen. This IX Code is currently running BIOS 0701 and I am honestly afraid to update the BIOS until I hear why I had these problems with the returned board.

However, considering that I have zero problems once I get into Windows, I'm wondering if there is some incompatibility with the 1080ti cards and the IX Code.

So... I'm posting here to see if anyone with a similar setup is running into similar problems.
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hi wazooda

I'm using the Maximus IX Code and a Titan Xp and it's running great, the 1080 Ti should work with the Maximus IX Code without issues.

The freezing could be your ram, even though you passed memtest86 this doesn't always mean it's 100% stable.

If you're using the XMP profile try setting it manually instead, this sometimes gives better results.

In the bios hit F5 to reset to defaults and set the AI Overclock Tuner to Manual, once you set your ram manually:

1) At the top of the Dram Timing Control page try Maximus Tweak Mode 2.

On the extreme tweaker tab set:

2) CPU System Agent voltage at 1.15v and up to 1.35v max.
3) CPU VCCIO voltage 1.15v and up to 1.30v max.

You shouldn't need to use the maximum voltages, for 32GB 3200MHz ram generally 1.15v - 1.25v on both should get you stable.

If raising the system agent and vccio voltages doesn't help, try the Dram voltage at 1.40v.

It may take a few tries to find voltages where it's stable.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

If none of this helps then I might look at your psu.

starsailor
Level 9
Hey Wazooda,

I am using IX CODE and STRIX 1080Ti O11G for quite some time now and never had any issue similar to what you explained.
My Bios version is 0801

Hope you find a solution to your problem.

starsailor wrote:
Hey Wazooda,

I am using IX CODE and STRIX 1080Ti O11G for quite some time now and never had any issue similar to what you explained.
My Bios version is 0801

Hope you find a solution to your problem.

Same here, and no OC profile set, except XMP on 2800Mhz.

Just thought of something I would throw out there as a possibility.

I'm running three monitors in surround over a long distance (15ft from computer to monitors).

I'm using StarTech Active Displayport cables and, in thinking about it, I did not have this problem prior to moving from my testbed environment with the monitors' included cables.

Not sure if this could have anything to do with anything, but I'm curious if from a technical perspective, active cables could effect things.

Wazooda
Level 7
Man! Strange.... *especially* since the problem goes away when using the motherboard video output.

I'll try some of Nate152's suggestions and report back.

I really love the board and hope to be able to use it.

Nate152
Yep, that's what makes me think it's your psu if the ram settings don't help.

Nate152
With code 99 that is a very good possibility, you could try with just one monitor and its standard displayport cable.

Chino
Level 15
A buddy of mines was experiencing the same symptoms as you. He wanted connect the PC to the TV which was on the other side of the room (approximately 10M). He was using a HDMI cable. As soon as he switched over to normal (shorter) cable, it worked fine.

So your problem is probably caused by your cables or distance.