cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is Asus new soundcard the AE + Sonic Studio?

Nivity
Level 7
I only used the realtek internal soundboards because I use spdif passthrough to my reciever so there have been no reason to use a soundcard.
However I got a new motherboard that I cannot use because it lacks spdif, so I was thinking about buying the new Asus Xonar AE because it is around 70euro and it is new so I could get fresh drivers.
It also says it is optimized to work with Windows 10.

How are drivers nowdays, realtek work flawless for spdif passthrough dts, pcm, 96khz etc.
Also how is that sonic studio?

I read that it lacks audio equalization, something realtek have in their software and comes in handy when watching twitch streams because some of them are super low compared to everything else.

Have not used a soundcard in ages, and all I read is creative,asus drivers "suck" for Windows 10, and they hardly ever release updates for drivers.

Have no used for the other stuff like headphone amp etc, I need a soundcard with spdif that works flawless without any trouble.

https://www.asus.com/se/Sound-Cards/Xonar-AE/overview/
3 REPLIES 3

Glasofruix
Level 8
Well, the general consensus here is to avoid asus sound products like the plague and set fire to whatever hardware that was in the sniffing proximity to an asus driver. The support is abyssmal and many advertised features simply do not work.

Glasofruix wrote:
Well, the general consensus here is to avoid asus sound products like the plague and set fire to whatever hardware that was in the sniffing proximity to an asus driver. The support is abyssmal and many advertised features simply do not work.

Yeah I read this forum and some other and I kinda got that impression as well ;/
The onboard realtek works flawless with optical to my reciever, everything just works including loudness equalization that is easy to toggle on/off etc.
Guess I will look at creative or just skip the motherboard 😄

InternetOwl
Level 8
To be fair most of the problems are related or were to the Phoebus and not the Strix line. If you looked up any reviews on the Strix Soar that would give you a good idea on how the AE should work and the Sonic Studio software as it is basically a pared-down version. Main draw back of the software is no FlexBass control in the drivers. Still I won't argue that onboard sound is the least troublesome of sound options these days.