cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UEFI downloads cannot be read?

Denaba
Level 7
I am currently on the UEFI 2201 and it is rock solid for me. But I saw some newer updates and wanted to get some information from them.

I went in to the UEFI, went to the EZFlash and drilled to the UEFI file, I select OK and then I get some information on the UEFI. Mainly the creation date is what I am looking for, not the release date.

So I got some older UEFI modules I downloaded from the Asus site. I do the same thing, but when I click to scan the UEFI file it says "Selected file is not a proper BIOS". What? So I thought well maybe the file got corrupted so I downloaded a fresh new one. Still same thing.

It appears that if the UEFI file is an older version other than what is on the system it does not read it. It should because if I do the same thing on a newer UEFI (3401) I get the information and then it says if I want to update: OK or Cancel.

So just wondering why this is occurring.

Thanks
[Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII] [Samsung 950 Pro 512GB] [G.Skill 2 x 4GB = 8GB] [Asus PG278Q Monitor] [Asus Stryx 980Ti] [Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit]
7 REPLIES 7

FuryA
Level 8
hi Denaba , which model 2201 Y'd download
what media storage did you put in, external USB or local drive
checkthe usb format is FAT32?

FuryA@ASUS wrote:
hi Denaba , which model 2201 Y'd download
what media storage did you put in, external USB or local drive
checkthe usb format is FAT32?

Thanks for the reply FuryA. I made a mistake and I apologize. It is version 2202 not 1. 2202 is what I have installed

All drives are local:
C: Sammy 950 Pro in M.2 slot
😧 Western Digital 1TB spinny

The USB is FAT32 and works fine. I have two identical systems which I check back and forth.
Computer A (mine) is now on 3401
Computer B is still on 2202

So weird thing, on computer A. When it was updated to 3201 the system read it. Then I updated to 3401 and then I went back to read 3201 it now could not read 3201. So I took the the thumb over to computer B and it read 3201 just fine.

Without any deep troubleshooting it looks like in my case that once you go up in versions I cannot read older ones. Again this is on two systems which have identical parts and setups. Maybe there is some sort of safety setting that says you can only update going upwards and you can never install an older UEFI? Not sure though, I'll look in the UEFI BIOS and poke around.

If you download an old UEFI version can you read the information on it "prior" to installing it?
[Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII] [Samsung 950 Pro 512GB] [G.Skill 2 x 4GB = 8GB] [Asus PG278Q Monitor] [Asus Stryx 980Ti] [Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit]

Menthol
Level 14
Sometimes it is necessary to use the bios Flashback method to downgrade a bios

Menthol wrote:
Sometimes it is necessary to use the bios Flashback method to downgrade a bios

Thanks for the reply Menthol. Question, where is this? I was looking in the UEFI BIOS and I was reading the manual and still do not see it. Maybe my tired eyes are just dead.

Denaba
Level 7
Doh!!! Thanks Chino!!

Denaba
Level 7
@Chino - Thanks again, went fine.

But I found out in this situation that this whole thing of reading the UEFI BIOS started on 2202. All UEFI BIOS's prior to 2202 read any file no matter how old it is. I tested this out with each upgrade. So 2202, 3201 and 3401 if installed, these three will not read older UEFI BIOS's.