cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VMK/GL502VM/GL702VMK 305 Bios Update?

Bran187
Level 9
So I saw on another forum that the GL702VM recently got a bios update that helped reduce temps. From the reading I have done on other forums, the update actually did help quite a bit. Some users reporting CPU temps of up to 10c cooler thanks to the new bios.

I know this is a user forum, but surely some of the Asus guys pop in here from time to time.

Any chance the 502VMK 502VM and 702VMK will get a similar Bios update?
31 REPLIES 31

StarJack
Level 11
I'll bump this because I'm curious too. A Thunderbolt 3 firmware update wouldn't hurt either.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Bahz
Level 12
Bran187 wrote:
So I saw on another forum that the GL702VM recently got a bios update that helped reduce temps. From the reading I have done on other forums, the update actually did help quite a bit. Some users reporting CPU temps of up to 10c cooler thanks to the new bios.

I know this is a user forum, but surely some of the Asus guys pop in here from time to time.

Any chance the 502VMK 502VM and 702VMK will get a similar Bios update?

That version is targeted specifically for that model. Since you're asking about this then I assume you're experiencing similar issues with your notebook? Can you share which notebook model you have and what problems you're experiencing and what games or apps you're running when the notebook is overheating/throttling?

Bahz wrote:
That version is targeted specifically for that model. Since you're asking about this then I assume you're experiencing similar issues with your notebook? Can you share which notebook model you have and what problems you're experiencing and what games or apps you're running when the notebook is overheating/throttling?

It's more of a general inquiry for the users of the forum that a problem specific to myself.

My particular model is the GL502VMK. But based on my testing, feedback from other users here on the forum, as well as third party reviews, the GL series in general tend to run pretty hot. Heck even the recent Linus Tech Tips video for the GL502VS (which I know is yet another model that is different) throttled during their AIDA64 stress test.

I saw the bios update, and saw users posting positive results from it and was just curious if anything was in the works for any of the other GL series notebooks.

Bran187
Level 9
I'll take that as a no. lol

hitardo
Level 7
There is a new BIOS update for the GL502VMK (i7-7700HQ)

The number is BIOS 305.

I noticed a temperature improvement on the 302 BIOS update, and I noticed an even better improvement on this one.
But, I have not tested it fully and right now it is Summer time in my country, with 35ºC, which is 15ºC higher than when I tested the original BIOS firmware.
So, my comparation basis is not fair.

But I advise everyone who knows how to do it, to update their BIOS.

link626
Level 7
you can still test it by flashing back the old bios and comparing results.

you say you get better temps; do you notice your fan spinning louder when the cpu is fully loaded?
cuz that's the only way temps can go down

link626 wrote:
you can still test it by flashing back the old bios and comparing results.

you say you get better temps; do you notice your fan spinning louder when the cpu is fully loaded?
cuz that's the only way temps can go down

Fans are definetily quieter.

No, increase fan speed is not the only way temperatures can go down.
There are many possibilities:
- Incorporating better firmware code form Intel onto the CPU;
- Incorporating better firmware code form NVidia onto the GPU;
- Undervolting the CPU;
- Undervolting the GPU;
- Firmware tweaking of the motherboard to improve the performance;
- Among other options, which I do not know in full detail as I am not an expert.

By September 19, there will be a new bios update for the gl502vmk. Then there should be another for December.

Hi,

My touchpad has stopped working after Winflash updated my BIOS to a version that the PC is not designed for. As a result, Windows 10 thinks my touchpad is disconnected and I cannot even drivers to install properly because the OS believes there is a physical disconnection.

Can you please update the BIOS for the ROG GL 502VM and fix any errors in WinFlash as I am sure I'm not the only person who has suffered this problem.

As a workaround, I have to have a mouse plugged in at all times in order to use my pointer.

Please let me know what we can do.

Best regards,

Maekail