Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by link626 View Post
    I'd be really surprised if they undervolted across the board, since not every cpu undervolts the same, and can cause instability.

Also, if it were really undervolted, hwinfo64 or similar apps would say so.

When you're loading the cpu 100% by video encoding, for example, it's going to run as hot as it can, and any Intel microcode optimization won't prevent it from running as hot as possible. This is where the fans come into play.
    Spinning the fans as fast and loud as possible at 100% cpu load will bring temps down more.

The real test is to load up hwinfo64 and see what the max temps are under full load, and note if there is any throttling, and how long the cpu stays in full turbo boost mode.
    The cpu alone won't throttle much, but when run simultaneously with gpu, could result in throttling.

If it were me, I would spend 15 minutes on each firmware back to back and run the same benchmarks and compare results.
    You are right in some points:
    - Fans will help, but the noise will increase significantly;
    - Pushing the CPU to max alone does not bring throttling, but when coupled with load on the GPU, the temps increase and throttling happens.

But regarding undervolting, no, programs like that would not show.
    If Asus undervolted e.g. -30mV, many will not feel a difference and I will risk saying every CPU will handle it.
    Furthermore, this new voltage would be the reference, i.e. with 0mV offset.
    I am not saying it is something an OEM would do, but it is possible.

At 100%, depending on the code, the CPU can handle thing differently.
    Intel has found a bug on the code of Kaby-Lake chips. See here:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06...yperthreading/

I would not spend time making a downgrade on the BIOS firmware, especially not knowing what the modifications are.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Bran187 PC Specs
    Bran187 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL502VMK
    MotherboardMSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition
    Processori7 4790
    Memory (part number)16 GB GSkill DDR3
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070
    MonitorHP Pavilion 32q
    Storage #1120 GB SSD
    Storage #21TB HDD
    CPU CoolerCM 212
    CaseFractal Define R4
    Power SupplySeasonic 650W
    Keyboard Corsair K55
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
    Headset Plantronics Rig
    Mouse Pad Glteck XXL
    OS Windows 10

Does someone have a link to the 502VMK's support/download page?

The one I used to use is erroring out and linking to: https://www.asus.com/us/PageError/ now.

And when I search for it through the product list, only the 502VM shows up.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bran187 View Post
    Does someone have a link to the 502VMK's support/download page?

The one I used to use is erroring out and linking to: https://www.asus.com/us/PageError/ now.

And when I search for it through the product list, only the 502VM shows up.
    Try this https://www.asus.com/lk/support/Down...EfLcqOGiAN/45/

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Bran187 PC Specs
    Bran187 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL502VMK
    MotherboardMSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition
    Processori7 4790
    Memory (part number)16 GB GSkill DDR3
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070
    MonitorHP Pavilion 32q
    Storage #1120 GB SSD
    Storage #21TB HDD
    CPU CoolerCM 212
    CaseFractal Define R4
    Power SupplySeasonic 650W
    Keyboard Corsair K55
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
    Headset Plantronics Rig
    Mouse Pad Glteck XXL
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Nevortic View Post
    Thanks!

Now off to update and test!

ROG Enthusiast Array

You should use this:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-...Desk_Download/

Asus have updated their site and links.

And yes, you should go through the GL502VM page.
    Then, in the "Please select your CPU or BIOS model name" box, you should choose "GL502VMK".
    Select your Operating System, most probably "Windows 10 64bit".

And, below, you will have all the drivers you need.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by link626 View Post
    I'd be really surprised if they undervolted across the board, since not every cpu undervolts the same, and can cause instability.
    Just wanted to point out that with the latest BIOS updates I felt the need to reduce my undervolting, as I got a blue screen.

BIOS 300 got -110mV (the version I upgraded right after opening the laptop from the box);
    BIOS 302 got -105mV;
    BIOS 305 got -100mV (still under testing).

Have you had this experience?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hitardo View Post
    Just wanted to point out that with the latest BIOS updates I felt the need to reduce my undervolting, as I got a blue screen.

BIOS 300 got -110mV (the version I upgraded right after opening the laptop from the box);
    BIOS 302 got -105mV;
    BIOS 305 got -100mV (still under testing).

Have you had this experience?
    I applied a -125mV undervolt since I got the laptop which came with BIOS Version 300, I think. Since then, I updated to 302 and now to 305, and I'm still using the same offset. I never really pushed the value since it seems stable at -125mV and when I tried -150mV it crashed, so I just let it be at -125mV which I think is great. Btw, I live in Portugal where the temperature is about 30 to 40ºC outside and my idle temperatures are about 40ºC and the CPU sits at about 46-50ºC when working with several applications running, but not games. My GPU sits at around 45-50ºC as well and my SSD at around 50ºC, sometimes going as high as 55ºC.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevortic View Post
    By September 19, there will be a new bios update for the gl502vmk. Then there should be another for December.
    Why do you say that? And what kind of changes can we expect? Is this information available anywhere? Thanks

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by xelas_bigmac View Post
    I applied a -125mV undervolt since I got the laptop which came with BIOS Version 300, I think. Since then, I updated to 302 and now to 305, and I'm still using the same offset. I never really pushed the value since it seems stable at -125mV and when I tried -150mV it crashed, so I just let it be at -125mV which I think is great. Btw, I live in Portugal where the temperature is about 30 to 40ºC outside and my idle temperatures are about 40ºC and the CPU sits at about 46-50ºC when working with several applications running, but not games. My GPU sits at around 45-50ºC as well and my SSD at around 50ºC, sometimes going as high as 55ºC.
    I also live in Portugal, the temperatures are high.

Do you have a Skylake (i7-6700HQ) or a Kaby-Lake (i7-7700HQ) chip?
    Skylake chips can go further in the undervolting, compared to the Kaby-Lake chips, due to the improvements that Intel has made on the Kaby-Lake chips.

The thing about undervolting is that it is dependent on the silicon lottery, i.e. depending on the quality of the chip you get, you can go further or lower in the undervolting, when compared to other people's chips.
    My chip is not the best, but it is not the worst either.

At -125mV my chip will frooze.
    Not right away, but if I push the computer too much, which is very often.
    My worload is very demanding with a work software that is very heavy, SQL service, Word, Excel, Firefox with 140+ tabs opened, and all the other processes of Windows and Asus install.

The most often Windows power plan I have selected is Performance.
    Curiously, when gaming I use the Balanced, because the frequency does not need to be higher all the time, and the heat is already high. I also disable Turbo boost or limit the Turbo boost to 3.0GHz.
    I use this especially on GTA V, because it is enough and limits the heat output, and the consequent throttling.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hitardo View Post
    I also live in Portugal, the temperatures are high.

Do you have a Skylake (i7-6700HQ) or a Kaby-Lake (i7-7700HQ) chip?
    Skylake chips can go further in the undervolting, compared to the Kaby-Lake chips, due to the improvements that Intel has made on the Kaby-Lake chips.

The thing about undervolting is that it is dependent on the silicon lottery, i.e. depending on the quality of the chip you get, you can go further or lower in the undervolting, when compared to other people's chips.
    My chip is not the best, but it is not the worst either.

At -125mV my chip will frooze.
    Not right away, but if I push the computer too much, which is very often.
    My worload is very demanding with a work software that is very heavy, SQL service, Word, Excel, Firefox with 140+ tabs opened, and all the other processes of Windows and Asus install.

The most often Windows power plan I have selected is Performance.
    Curiously, when gaming I use the Balanced, because the frequency does not need to be higher all the time, and the heat is already high. I also disable Turbo boost or limit the Turbo boost to 3.0GHz.
    I use this especially on GTA V, because it is enough and limits the heat output, and the consequent throttling.
    My chip is the KabyLake, i7-7700HQ. I work with Catia, Excel, Matlab, Browser with several tabs opened and some more programs running. I also stress test it for a while when I apply the undervolt. I always keep it in Balanced because in Performance mode the CPU tries to stay at 100%, and in balanced mode it goes from 5% to 100%, so it uses turbo when it needs but also downclocks when it doesn't need. I also enabled the SpeedShift feature with ThrottleStop, which is available in this chip. I'm not sure if it is available in the Skylake chips but I think so. I haven't gamed with this laptop yet. Only will game when I finish my thesis. Right now I don't have time.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Been there, done that.
    I wish you the best of luck with your Thesys.

Thanks for the advice.
    I will try Speed Shift.

From a quick search, Speed Shift was implemented on Skylake, but when it came out the Operating System did not support this new functionality.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9751/e...ive-processors

Right now, Windows 10 supports it natively, so, you can enable it in Skylake and Kaby-Lake chips.
    I will try it.

But I guess you have a better chip, as you can go further in the undervolting.
    Lucky you

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast