cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't reinstall Sonic Studio ? Audio issues persist years later..

Vinny1001
Level 9
Hey. I've had so many issues with this motherboard and it's audio issues. First it was half second delay or "tick" before audio would play, unless audio was already playing, which was verified and recorded by an Asus representative themselves, sent it to me to verify, which it was correct. I rarely get that now. Anyway..

I had Sonic Studio installed. All drivers came from the CD then the website. Eventually, any audio output, EVEN IF MY MIC IS MUTED, so anytime the PC considers it's playing audio, would play back through my mic to anyone on the other end. So even if I mute my mic, and it's silence, and mute my speakers, it still picked up the audio output and spit it through the mic. I tried reinstalling realtek, didn't work. I tried the realtek options of separating the input jacks as independent devices, which helped, but then anytime I recorded with Nvidia Shadowplay, it'd just have a loud buzzing static noise the entire time.

I am using the Logitech G230, through my front audio port on my case. And yes it works fine on my previous PC

I uninstalled sonic suite and ever audio driver software I can find, and now when I go back through website drivers or CD drivers, sonic studio won't reinstall...

Can someone seriously walk me through these audio issues? I've always ran Asus mobo's and this may be the last. Never had issues before. I've swapped this mobo about 6 times when I first bought it and had posted a lot.. Had the same audio issue through all VIII's, 2 different PSU's, GPU's, RAM, CPU's, etc. I tried it all folks.

Oh, in the mic settings i check off the noise suppression, but then it messes back up after an hour, just at random.

And I"m going through different versions of the drivers and what not, and some don't even allow that noise supression option... This one driver has the "5.1" and "7.1" speaker options blanked out, but I can still select... Like it just doesn't show the text... This is seriously the worst I've had with Asus.

EDIT: reinstalled 7904, and seems to be fine so far... but it's only the realtek driver. No sonic suite. I have an additional option in the microphone effects "Acoustic Echo Cancellation"

Again, why's this stuff so buggy? WHat's the best option, drivers, order of install, and how can I get sonic suite?

THanks!
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.
31 REPLIES 31

Denaba
Level 7
I am no expert at this but I'll try to help. You have a laundry list of issues so let's get back to basics. My process of fixing audio is uninstall all the work I have done so that way you get back to the defaults. Reboot and then when your back run CCleaner to cleanup things that get left behind. I know it's not powerful, but don;t want an over-zealous utility mucking up your system. Once done reboot again and now just use the basic defaults and see if things work.

For the mic issue I had one incident and it was not even the motherboard, it was the case. use a flashlight and look down in to the port where you plug in and make sure everything looks good. In my case the actual "prong" that is on the outer rim which locks the mic jack in place was bent outward and it made no connection. I had the same issue like you, my audio playback was through the mic. Returned the case and got a new one and all was good. But it is always good to double check all equipment including your ports.

Since you replaced the motherboard 6 times might as well go inside and check your audio cable and where it is plugged in. Remove it, make sure you are on the correct header and look for any bent pins or what not. Check the cable as well for any shorts (sometimes the colored insulation will come off or get cut accidentally on something)

Don't jump around and try a whole bunch of things at once, it could be anything at this point. Try getting just to defaults and then we can work one step at a time. I have seen weird things, latest I thought was an issue unrelated to the what I found. It was not the board. It was the Ethernet driver from Intel causing the problem so step by step is the best way for troubleshooting.

BTW - the 7904 driver had some issues, I am on 8073 and still testing the newer ones before I move up.
[Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII] [Samsung 950 Pro 512GB] [G.Skill 2 x 4GB = 8GB] [Asus PG278Q Monitor] [Asus Stryx 980Ti] [Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit]

Denaba wrote:
I am no expert at this but I'll try to help. You have a laundry list of issues so let's get back to basics. My process of fixing audio is uninstall all the work I have done so that way you get back to the defaults. Reboot and then when your back run CCleaner to cleanup things that get left behind. I know it's not powerful, but don;t want an over-zealous utility mucking up your system. Once done reboot again and now just use the basic defaults and see if things work.

For the mic issue I had one incident and it was not even the motherboard, it was the case. use a flashlight and look down in to the port where you plug in and make sure everything looks good. In my case the actual "prong" that is on the outer rim which locks the mic jack in place was bent outward and it made no connection. I had the same issue like you, my audio playback was through the mic. Returned the case and got a new one and all was good. But it is always good to double check all equipment including your ports.

Since you replaced the motherboard 6 times might as well go inside and check your audio cable and where it is plugged in. Remove it, make sure you are on the correct header and look for any bent pins or what not. Check the cable as well for any shorts (sometimes the colored insulation will come off or get cut accidentally on something)

Don't jump around and try a whole bunch of things at once, it could be anything at this point. Try getting just to defaults and then we can work one step at a time. I have seen weird things, latest I thought was an issue unrelated to the what I found. It was not the board. It was the Ethernet driver from Intel causing the problem so step by step is the best way for troubleshooting.

BTW - the 7904 driver had some issues, I am on 8073 and still testing the newer ones before I move up.

Thanks for the kind reply. I would uninstall, run ccleaner, clean everything up, reboot, then realtek would auto install by windows, so I'd uninstall again, ccleaner, reboot, then it was the windows generic driver for audio.

From the Asus driver page for my mobo, I reinstalled 7904, but it only installs realtek, NOT sonic suite.

It seems fine now...

I don't think it's a bent pin or anything 'cause depending on my settings or audio drivers, it'll work at times, then other times it won't work at all. I think if it were a bent pin, it'd always show issues, regardless of the driver or settings.

So lets say 7904 works best for me (but other versions should still work), how can I get Sonic Suite back?

I also have to double check the audio popping for the first second audio plays (Like if it cuts out the first half second). At work, will check more over time. Still need to get Sonic Suite back. I do not use AI Suite. All should work without the use of utilities/software. Once all works then I will start using additional software.

Thanks so far!
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

Vinny1001 wrote:
Thanks for the kind reply. I would uninstall, run ccleaner, clean everything up, reboot, then realtek would auto install by windows, so I'd uninstall again, ccleaner, reboot, then it was the windows generic driver for audio.

From the Asus driver page for my mobo, I reinstalled 7904, but it only installs realtek, NOT sonic suite.

It seems fine now...

I don't think it's a bent pin or anything 'cause depending on my settings or audio drivers, it'll work at times, then other times it won't work at all. I think if it were a bent pin, it'd always show issues, regardless of the driver or settings.

So lets say 7904 works best for me (but other versions should still work), how can I get Sonic Suite back?

I also have to double check the audio popping for the first second audio plays (Like if it cuts out the first half second). At work, will check more over time. Still need to get Sonic Suite back. I do not use AI Suite. All should work without the use of utilities/software. Once all works then I will start using additional software.

Thanks so far!

Yes, sometime if you just keep installing over an older driver the library builds up. What I do is uninstall all the drivers until I get to the Microsoft generic one. Leave that one there. You do that for obvious reasons. Once cleared up run CCleaner and then install the new driver for Realtek.

So based on what you said you are sticking with the 7904 and all seems fine. But you know your audio pops sounds like an issue with latency which was caused by the Intel driver. I had music playing back and I got this popping sound; long story short it was the Intel Ethernet driver.

Can you go to the Device Manager and find out which:

1 - Network Adapter you have, example i217V or i219V and if there is a number after it. Mine is Intel Ethernet Connection (2) i219-V so your should be something similar

2 - What driver version is the Ethernet Adapter

If it is Intel and if it is the older 20 and 21 series then this could be the cause of the popping. The driver introduced a huge latency which resulting in audio popping. Even in recordings you would here it.

Again, we got to figure out slowly what is going on with your system. Ge back to me when you can.
[Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII] [Samsung 950 Pro 512GB] [G.Skill 2 x 4GB = 8GB] [Asus PG278Q Monitor] [Asus Stryx 980Ti] [Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit]

Denaba wrote:
Yes, sometime if you just keep installing over an older driver the library builds up. What I do is uninstall all the drivers until I get to the Microsoft generic one. Leave that one there. You do that for obvious reasons. Once cleared up run CCleaner and then install the new driver for Realtek.

So based on what you said you are sticking with the 7904 and all seems fine. But you know your audio pops sounds like an issue with latency which was caused by the Intel driver. I had music playing back and I got this popping sound; long story short it was the Intel Ethernet driver.

Can you go to the Device Manager and find out which:

1 - Network Adapter you have, example i217V or i219V and if there is a number after it. Mine is Intel Ethernet Connection (2) i219-V so your should be something similar

2 - What driver version is the Ethernet Adapter

If it is Intel and if it is the older 20 and 21 series then this could be the cause of the popping. The driver introduced a huge latency which resulting in audio popping. Even in recordings you would here it.

Again, we got to figure out slowly what is going on with your system. Ge back to me when you can.

1. I have the same you have, (2) i219-V

2. I have the Intel LAN driver from the disk/mobo driver page, so 20.2.4001.0, except in device manager when I right click the "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V, and click the driver, it says it's version 12.13.17.7

So, the audio "delay" hasn't been that prominent lately. Usually only when I haven't had audio play for a while, then if I click through lets say Windows Explorer, that "windows clicK" noise, is halfed for the first audio output, but then it's normal after. If I have VLC player or windows media player up, it seems to keep the audio channel powered and open, so then I never hear the audio pops. Never had this on previous Asus boards.

AKBAAR, I will try that after trying out any suggestions prior. Also, I've always installed the driver which "includes" sonic studio, but it never will install it, even if i select the .exe to do it, it doesn't let me. But lets tackle that after eliminating any current driver issues, if so. I've tried one of those Asus drivers on that site though but gave issues... and removed one of my microphone settings in the Effects. It removed the Acoustic Echo option, and only left the Noise supression.

Anyway, more to come on attempting that AFTER I check drivers first. I have see other posts about an Asus sound card that Asmedia drivers were causing the audio pops. Maybe the same situation here, but don't I kinda need the Asmedia driver..?

Thanks so far guys.

Vinny1001 wrote:
1. I have the same you have, (2) i219-V

2. I have the Intel LAN driver from the disk/mobo driver page, so 20.2.4001.0, except in device manager when I right click the "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V, and click the driver, it says it's version 12.13.17.7

So, the audio "delay" hasn't been that prominent lately. Usually only when I haven't had audio play for a while, then if I click through lets say Windows Explorer, that "windows clicK" noise, is halfed for the first audio output, but then it's normal after. If I have VLC player or windows media player up, it seems to keep the audio channel powered and open, so then I never hear the audio pops. Never had this on previous Asus boards.

AKBAAR, I will try that after trying out any suggestions prior. Also, I've always installed the driver which "includes" sonic studio, but it never will install it, even if i select the .exe to do it, it doesn't let me. But lets tackle that after eliminating any current driver issues, if so. I've tried one of those Asus drivers on that site though but gave issues... and removed one of my microphone settings in the Effects. It removed the Acoustic Echo option, and only left the Noise supression.

Anyway, more to come on attempting that AFTER I check drivers first. I have see other posts about an Asus sound card that Asmedia drivers were causing the audio pops. Maybe the same situation here, but don't I kinda need the Asmedia driver..?

Thanks so far guys.

your using old driver for your intel Lan
here is mine

I encourage you to use this software , and this is the only software you can trust in the world !

http://www.snappy-driver-installer.org/index.html

See image below for what I see on that driver... AKBAAR, you showed two pictures, with two different drivers? How? Mine is only what I can see in this image.. Ugh. Even though the LAN driver from the mobo site says it's the 20.2.4001.0 yet mine isn't that.. ugh.

AKBAAR
Level 9

sdmf74
Level 11
If you havent already or lately, Type troubleshooting in the search bar and troubleshoot audio through windows, when it asks to disable all sound effects click yes. See if that helps
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

Denaba
Level 7
@Vinny1001 - Intel Ethernet drivers have two version numbers: the one they post and then the actual driver, but they do not match so probably why you see AKBAAR's post with two different numbers.

So you have driver version 12.13.17.7 which equates to Intel Ethernet package 20.4.1 and this is the line where the problems started for Intel. Some reading if you want:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/54594?start=60&tstart=0

Now to update. First go to the Intel Download Center and drill down till you get to your i219-V driver. Make sure to look for your Windows 7 one. The latest version is 22.3 which was released on 4-27-2017. Once you find it you will be offered two versions; 32-bit and 64-bit. Get the right one for your system, find it and download it to your desktop.

Now uninstall the Intel Ethernet driver that your system has, reboot and then use CCleaner. Double check because I have seen the Intel Ethernet drivers do some weird things. Go back to the control panel add/remove area and see if the Intel Ethernet Driver is gone. Sometimes the one you uninstall is gone, but the next lower one pops up on the list. If it does, uninstall it just as you did above and reboot again. If not proceed on. Once you are sure no more Ethernet drivers are on your system (which BTW you will not have Internet for now) then go ahead and install the newest driver. Once installed reboot and see about the popping.

BTW-
Intel package 22.3 = Intel Ethernet Driver 12.15.25.6. Driver date is 3-21-2017 and the package was released on 4-27-2017

If you need help come on back.