cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run an m.2 ssd drive in pci-e mode on my Maximus viii formula ?

Youngevans
Level 7
Hello everyone

How do I run an m.2 ssd drive (SanDisk X300s M.2 2280 256GB) in PCIe mode on my Maximus viii formula ? I am pretty much sure its running in sata mode because it dissabled a sata port on my motherboard when I inserted it
young3vans
3 REPLIES 3

JustinThyme
Level 13
Youngevans wrote:
Hello everyone

How do I run an m.2 ssd drive (SanDisk X300s M.2 2280 256GB) in PCIe mode on my Maximus viii formula ? I am pretty much sure its running in sata mode because it dissabled a sata port on my motherboard when I inserted it

The architecture on the board disables Sata 6G refer to your manual 1-26. This is a limitation of the PCH controller. An NVMe drive cannot run in SATA mode. The M2, U2 and sata express shares the same port so you can only run one or the other.

You should be able to verify your M2 drive setting in the BIOS under PCH controller.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
The architecture on the board disables Sata 6G refer to your manual 1-26. This is a limitation of the PCH controller. An NVMe drive cannot run in SATA mode. The M2, U2 and sata express shares the same port so you can only run one or the other.

You should be able to verify your M2 drive setting in the BIOS under PCH controller.

Thanks buddy
young3vans

See if I can revive this old thread...:p
I'm just learning about the various types of drives and architectures. I just got a Silicon Power PCIe Gen 3 x 4 M.2 2280 1TB SSD. Is my understanding correct in that with this motherboard, plugging into the M.2 slot would give me the fastest possible speed? At first I was thinking I needed to buy a PCIe board to plug the drive into, then the board into a PCIe slot, but from the manual it seems like the onboard M.2 would result in the same speeds. Or have I totally misunderstood?

Thanks.