cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Build

TheDragon
Level 7
Hi!
I have begun a Computer build, this is my very first build and I need some tips and advice. I've got some picture of components I think I will need (I've never build anything computerish). If you want to see the pics I can post them afterwards.
You are supposed to smear the cooling paste behind the CPU on the pins, right?
28 REPLIES 28

Zka17
Level 16
List the components you are thinking about... maybe share with us what are you gonna use the system for... - that would be a good start...

davemon50
Level 11
To wrap your head around the whole process, keep costs under control, and sort intelligently through your many options, I would suggest creating a chart or spreadsheet or some orderly document to track your thoughts and research. Attached is a copy of what I set up for my last build, you could maybe do something of that sort.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
To wrap your head around the whole process, keep costs under control, and sort intelligently through your many options, I would suggest creating a chart or spreadsheet or some orderly document to track your thoughts and research. Attached is a copy of what I set up for my last build, you could maybe do something of that sort.

Thanks for the tips. I will do my best.*

Eleiyas
Level 10
Components you think you will need?

Each computer needs a certain amount of components to function:

- Motherboard
- Processor
- RAM (Random Access Memory)
- PSU (Power Supply Unit)
- HDD (Hard Disk Drive) /OR/ SSD (Solid State Disk)
- Graphics Card
- Case

Your build will be based around what motherboard you purchase as not all MBs are compatible with every processor, ram, etc...

If you buy a crosshair VI hero, for example, don't expect it to work with an Intel i7-6950. Likewise, if you buy an ASUS 970 Pro Gaming, then don't expect to be able to use DDR4 RAM.

panzlock
Level 12
Strictly gaming build, or will it have other, practical uses? Depending on what you want the pricing will also vary. What's your budget?
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

panzlock wrote:
Strictly gaming build, or will it have other, practical uses? Depending on what you want the pricing will also vary. What's your budget?

It will be a gaming build, but I want the ability to watch movies in good resolution. My budget is lower then 1200 USD (10000 NOK), I don't know if this is bad.

Zka17 wrote:
List the components you are thinking about... maybe share with us what are you gonna use the system for... - that would be a good start...

I will get my component list on this page.

Eleiyas@ASUS wrote:
Components you think you will need?

Each computer needs a certain amount of components to function:

- Motherboard
- Processor
- RAM (Random Access Memory)
- PSU (Power Supply Unit)
- HDD (Hard Disk Drive) /OR/ SSD (Solid State Disk)
- Graphics Card
- Case

Your build will be based around what motherboard you purchase as not all MBs are compatible with every processor, ram, etc...

If you buy a crosshair VI hero, for example, don't expect it to work with an Intel i7-6950. Likewise, if you buy an ASUS 970 Pro Gaming, then don't expect to be able to use DDR4 RAM.

How do I know if the components are compatible with each other?

TheDragon wrote:
It will be a gaming build, but I want the ability to watch movies in good resolution. My budget is lower then 1200 USD (10000 NOK), I don't know if this is bad.

I will get my component list on this page.

How do I know if the components are compatible with each other?

1 - A gaming PC should inherently be able to play movies in good quality, again, depending on the specs of the unit.

2 - would like to see what you've chosen

3 - First component you need to make a choice on is the motherboard. If you're committed to purchasing a certain motherboard, you will need to check the specifications of said board in order to check which chipset it has.

This will then tell you which processors are compatible with the board. You then need to check the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) for the motherboard to see which RAM modules and types of HDD/SSD are compatible (slot wise, amount of slots, etc...) [[The amount of HDDs/SSDs you can take also depends on your case]].

If you need any more information or advice, please don't hesitate to ask 🙂

EDIT: For 1000 euros / 1200$

- ASUS 970 Pro Gaming Motherboard = 90 euros @ Newegg.com
- AMD FX 8370 + Wraith Cooler = 150 euros @ Newegg.com
- Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 RAM = 80-ish euros @ Newegg.com
- 2 TB HDD = 100-ish euros @ Newegg.com
- 128GB SSD = 100-ish euros @ Newegg.com
- Mid-ATX Case = 100+ euros @ Newegg.com
- ASUS STRIX AMD RADEON RX 580 8GB OC Graphics Card = 230 euros @ Newegg.com
- Corsair 750W PSU = 100-ish euros @ Newegg.com

There's a pretty decent build for around 900 euros (slightly below your budget) and if you need it, then the spare money can be used for a new monitor. You could also buy some more expensive RAM.

Eleiyas@ASUS wrote:

3 - First component you need to make a choice on is the motherboard. If you're committed to purchasing a certain motherboard, you will need to check the specifications of said board in order to check which chipset it has.

This will then tell you which processors are compatible with the board. You then need to check the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) for the motherboard to see which RAM modules and types of HDD/SSD are compatible (slot wise, amount of slots, etc...) [[The amount of HDDs/SSDs you can take also depends on your case]].

There's a pretty decent build for around 900 euros (slightly below your budget) and if you need it, then the spare money can be used for a new monitor. You could also buy some more expensive RAM.

This is my (not completed) component list I don't know if the parts are compatible with one each other. The online are from Norway and the currency is also Norwegian, to get the currency to euros you only got to take the value times 10 , e.g. 1000 NOK = 10000 euros.

Eleiyas@ASUS wrote:
1 - A gaming PC should inherently be able to play movies in good quality, again, depending on the specs of the unit.

I managed to find some of the parts I think, but the others I could either not find or there were a lack of information e.g Lack of two letters. If you could provide these I would be very happy indeed.