cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to Tweak the BIOS?

Denaba
Level 7
So in my X58 years I was always tweaking the BIOS to improve performance here and there and I saw good results. But as these years have past and the newer boards have come in to our grubby hands and I just wonder for the non-overclocker if the default "Auto" settings are just as good as the tweaking of years past. For example, in the PCH Configuration the area about the PCIe config is set to "Auto" but should one set it to Gen3? CPU C-States set to "Auto" or better to set it to "Enabled".

Is just leaving the settings to "Auto" just as good in performance, reliability, etc. as setting particular settings like Gen3 and what not. Or do you see a significant increased result from setting each setting that it IS worth going in and tweaking the UEFI? Again this is for the non-overclocker. I just ask because it seems that things have improved so much. Windows 7 on an SSD you had to do some tweaking like turning off defrag. But Windows 8.1 and now 10 Windows knows not to defrag the SSD, but now it does TRIM instead.

Just wondering
[Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII] [Samsung 950 Pro 512GB] [G.Skill 2 x 4GB = 8GB] [Asus PG278Q Monitor] [Asus Stryx 980Ti] [Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit]
3 REPLIES 3

Nate152
Hi Denaba

Depending on your gpu you might see a small increase in performance with pcie or peg set to GEN 3.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pci_express_scaling_game_performance_analysis_review,7.html

Most things in the bios you can let on auto but one thing I would set manually is the cpu core/cache voltage, with it on auto your cpu is likely getting overvolted which is creating unnecessary heat.

If you're running the cpu core/cache voltage in adaptive mode let C-States on auto or enabled, if in manual mode disable C-States. In adaptive mode the cpu voltage will throttle down when the cpu is at idle.

AKBAAR
Level 9
Denaba wrote:
So in my X58 years I was always tweaking the BIOS to improve performance here and there and I saw good results. But as these years have past and the newer boards have come in to our grubby hands and I just wonder for the non-overclocker if the default "Auto" settings are just as good as the tweaking of years past. For example, in the PCH Configuration the area about the PCIe config is set to "Auto" but should one set it to Gen3? CPU C-States set to "Auto" or better to set it to "Enabled".

Is just leaving the settings to "Auto" just as good in performance, reliability, etc. as setting particular settings like Gen3 and what not. Or do you see a significant increased result from setting each setting that it IS worth going in and tweaking the UEFI? Again this is for the non-overclocker. I just ask because it seems that things have improved so much. Windows 7 on an SSD you had to do some tweaking like turning off defrag. But Windows 8.1 and now 10 Windows knows not to defrag the SSD, but now it does TRIM instead.

Just wondering

Easy AMI UEFI BIOS Modding:Use of the "UEFI BIOS Updater" (UBU)
http://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool...-quot-UBU.html

Denaba
Level 7
Thanks for the replies. Winraid is a must read place for anyone. Great info.
[Asus ROG Maximus Hero VIII] [Samsung 950 Pro 512GB] [G.Skill 2 x 4GB = 8GB] [Asus PG278Q Monitor] [Asus Stryx 980Ti] [Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit]