cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero IX sometimes doesn't output video on boot

Sinept
Level 7
I don't have an OS yet (getting it next month), or a gpu (later this year). I have everything else except a disc drive and a wireless/bluetooth adapter (and an hdd for secondary storage). Video is being output to a tv via hdmi (I don't have a suitable monitor yet). I boot into the bios occasionally to view/adjust specs and check on added components. often, the first time I try to boot, I get no video output. Just now, I had to reboot several times to get a video output. CC is A9 when it does this, which I believe means that everything is normal. Is this going to be a recurring problem? Should I be concerned?
10 REPLIES 10

mcleod52
Level 8
Why don't you grab Ubuntu or a similar Linux OS. Free and can run things until you get Windows (which is what I assume you're waiting for).

Stew

Chino
Level 15
There are a lot of handshake problems between PCs and TVs.

Some TV has a dedicated HDMI port for connecting PCs or an option for PC mode. See if your TV has any of them. Might help in your case.

KuraiShidosha
Level 10
It's the board. I never had this problem before on any previous systems whether Intel or AMD. All of a sudden I get this issue all the time. If there's no operating system installed or if I am trying to get to the BIOS, it's a total crapshoot whether I get video or not. It's also not the graphics card because it happened on the integrated GPU as well as the 1080 Ti now installed. It's the board. Something is very wrong with how it decides what display to use. It never resignals, once it thinks it's past monitor activation, that's it it's over. It never sends out a new signal. And this is the problem.

KuraiShidosha wrote:
It's the board. I never had this problem before on any previous systems whether Intel or AMD. All of a sudden I get this issue all the time. If there's no operating system installed or if I am trying to get to the BIOS, it's a total crapshoot whether I get video or not. It's also not the graphics card because it happened on the integrated GPU as well as the 1080 Ti now installed. It's the board. Something is very wrong with how it decides what display to use. It never resignals, once it thinks it's past monitor activation, that's it it's over. It never sends out a new signal. And this is the problem.

Same issue here.

I had BenQ 2730Z and it would always get video from BIOS. Now I switched to ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q and often it does not get video from BIOS, from both built-in DP and 1080ti DP. Extremely annoying.

Sinept
Level 7
mcleod52 - I've already booted up a linux distro (either ubuntu or lubuntu, I don't remember which) that I keep on an external hard drive (actually an internal hard drive and a usb dock), and have confirmed that it boots fine (though I haven't tested for this issue specifically). I already have a desktop for general use. This build is specifically a gaming/workstation pc.

chino - It could very well be the tv. I've noticed that this problem is more prevalent if the tv is off, isn't fully "booted up", or is on the wrong input when I boot the pc. But I've also had this problem with the tv on and set to the correct input; though it's possible that I didn't give the pc enough time to boot into the bios in those cases. I ensured that the tv was fully on and set to the correct input before booting the pc just now (in order to confirm my bios version), and didn't have a problem. The tv is a relatively cheap 1080p 32" visio and doesn't appear to have any pc specific ports or settings (there's a computer setting in the picture/display options, but I believe it's only for aesthetic purposes). The only monitor that I have on hand uses vga, despite being an lcd panel, so I can't test to see if this happens with a monitor for the time being.

KuraiShidosha - I hope it's not the board. If this problem persists after I get a monitor, would updating the bios make any difference? The current version is 0604 x64.

KuraiShidosha
Level 10
No the BIOS won't do anything for you in this case. Best to leave it alone. Wait for the new monitor and hope it's more compatible. My monitor is pretty old but who knows

Sinept
Level 7
ok, so I just tested it again, ensuring the tv was fully on and set to the right input. Again, no problems. I'm hoping it's just the tv, and that after getting a monitor I won't have this problem. If I do, I guess I'll need always to make sure the monitor is on before booting up the pc.

Menthol
Level 14
If you need to use your monitor there are VGA to HDMI adapters available
You can download Windows and Install now and activate later (check I do not have a key during install), Windows activation keys can be legally purchased on the Internet for approximately $20 to $40 US dollars rather than retail media copy
Qcode A9 is the code when in bios, AO is code for in OS

Menthol
Level 14
If you need to use your monitor there are VGA to HDMI adapters available
You can download Windows and Install now and activate later (check I do not have a key during install), Windows activation keys can be legally purchased on the Internet for approximately $20 to $40 US dollars rather than retail media copy
Qcode A9 is the code when in bios, AO is code for in OS