cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20 Video Failure, Overheating/Lack of Power

tmcumbee2
Level 7
Hello, everyone! I have the G20 that comes with the 750 and my setup came with the 230W brick. I have been using this PC for the better part of a year and while playing Overwatch my screen either locks up on red, yellow, blue, or black screens while I've been playing for 30 to 45 mins. The audio freezes about 5 seconds after. I have the game display the GPU temps and I have yet to see it over 80 C. I haven't had any lockups in any other games even under a heavy load with the graphics almost maxed. I have done a fair amount of research and tried various things like selecting the lowest graphic settings possible, making my game have my desktop resolution, swapping to windowed, and even installing Afterburner to have better control over my GPU temps.

My inital thought process was to purchase the 180W brick and use them both together. I also figured while I'm buying things to grab a new GPU and upgrade to 16GB of RAM. Using the threads here to reference.

Anyone have any advice? Am I on the right path? Thanks a lot in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

chrimen
Level 7
I used to have a shut down issue when playing Divinity Enhanced edition on split screen. I have an ROG G20AJ with the GTX 760 and two power bricks. I had a defective power brick from the onset. It seemed that while playing that particular game it would draw too much power and cause the screen to go black and not display anything at all. I could only get it running again after waiting for a while.
It's not the same problem you are having, but if the card isn't faulty you might consider getting another 230W power brick as well.

Also look at your CPU usage and heat while playing see if that is a factor.

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
tmcumbee2 wrote:
Hello, everyone! I have the G20 that comes with the 750 and my setup came with the 230W brick. I have been using this PC for the better part of a year and while playing Overwatch my screen either locks up on red, yellow, blue, or black screens while I've been playing for 30 to 45 mins. The audio freezes about 5 seconds after. I have the game display the GPU temps and I have yet to see it over 80 C. I haven't had any lockups in any other games even under a heavy load with the graphics almost maxed. I have done a fair amount of research and tried various things like selecting the lowest graphic settings possible, making my game have my desktop resolution, swapping to windowed, and even installing Afterburner to have better control over my GPU temps.

My inital thought process was to purchase the 180W brick and use them both together. I also figured while I'm buying things to grab a new GPU and upgrade to 16GB of RAM. Using the threads here to reference.

Anyone have any advice? Am I on the right path? Thanks a lot in advance!

have you tried to open up the geforce experience and grabbing the settings that their think will be good for the gtx 750, you need to grab gpu-z and check how much of the gpu is been used. overwatch uses alot of graphics memory, try playing 1280x720 this way it will be less memory been used.

run overwatch in your normal seetings and open gpu-z and afterburner and grab some screen shots and share

thanks Whoopee

Thanks for the feedback guys! So I did as you suggested and played a couple lower impact arcade games. It's got my GPU temp at 72C, GPU usage at 100% and CPU usage at 91%. I actually took the side of the case off and let the fans blow into the room which seemed to help the temp issue, but my usage is still the same and I'm still getting game crashes.

I also play Final Fantasy XIV and while doing a dungeon the boss threw out a poison cloud and it crashed..I assume the massive amount of partical effects just caused it to crash. I'm getting ready to pick up the 180W power adapter...should I hold off, or purchase both? I'm also not against buying the Dell adapter either. Thanks for the help guys.

If it's worth noting...when I had the side of my case off my GPU temp never exceeded 65C, but I still managed to crash.

SO I finally got the 180W brick in the mail and it seems to not be drawing power at all. Do I need to crack my case open and swap to a connection so my MB pulls from the 180W brick? Any help would be appreciated!! Thank you!

tmcumbee2 wrote:
SO I finally got the 180W brick in the mail and it seems to not be drawing power at all. Do I need to crack my case open and swap to a connection so my MB pulls from the 180W brick? Any help would be appreciated!! Thank you!

You have to move the pin connector GDC11 to the first and second pin instead of the second and third, this basically tells the motherboard to use the other power adapter aswell. Heres a video showing it https://youtu.be/qNXwfOpvZLQ?t=6m34s (not made by me)

Also, I was wondering where did you buy the power adapter? I plan to get a 1050ti that doesn't need any power cables besides just slotting it in to the PCIE, I'm not sure if the 230w would be enough power since I have the same issue as you but with only rocket league, and I've played some pretty intensive games too like Player Unkown's Battlegrounds and it doesn't happen on that.

I actually got the brick from Amazon. There was a link in this post about which one to purchase. I found a PNY and ASUS version of the 1050 TI and I checked the specs on NVIDIA and they suggest a total power of 300W. I'm assuming with the 180 and 230 adapters I should be fine.

I'm having some serious issues with Overwatch and honestly other games since I swapped the connectors. I don't know what the deal is, but it sucks. I can't even make it through an entire match now without the video card failing..and it's not over heating at all. It has to be my card crapping out or something. It seems to be when I get on top of a huge shield or when I get resurrected. It's like my video seizes. I'm running Afterburner and GPU-Z and nothing has been out of the norm. I repaired the game and everything. I spoke to a blizzard rep and gave them my DXdiag and MSinfo32 and it's not just Overwatch that my computer hangs on..I checked the error codes and confirmed what he found.

I wish I knew what the heck to do to fix it without spending 200 bucks on a new card when my system is above the minimum requirements..

tmcumbee2 wrote:
I actually got the brick from Amazon. There was a link in this post about which one to purchase. I found a PNY and ASUS version of the 1050 TI and I checked the specs on NVIDIA and they suggest a total power of 300W. I'm assuming with the 180 and 230 adapters I should be fine.

I'm having some serious issues with Overwatch and honestly other games since I swapped the connectors. I don't know what the deal is, but it sucks. I can't even make it through an entire match now without the video card failing..and it's not over heating at all. It has to be my card crapping out or something. It seems to be when I get on top of a huge shield or when I get resurrected. It's like my video seizes. I'm running Afterburner and GPU-Z and nothing has been out of the norm. I repaired the game and everything. I spoke to a blizzard rep and gave them my DXdiag and MSinfo32 and it's not just Overwatch that my computer hangs on..I checked the error codes and confirmed what he found.

I wish I knew what the heck to do to fix it without spending 200 bucks on a new card when my system is above the minimum requirements..

When the card dies does it get stuck on a random color screen and have a note repeating until you power it off or does it just turn off by itself?

This person says to move three of the R20 pins to the up position
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?67228-Successful-upgrade-How-to-set-the-jumpers