cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cpu over temperature error!!!???

FDViper
Level 7
I have a few months old build that has been working exceptionally good until NOW. 😞
Mobo: ROG Strix Z270E
CPU: i7-7700k (has reached stable 5.2GHz before 😉 )
AIO: Corsair H100i v2

One week ago ago I got this overheating problem. Temp going up to 89c or more in BIOS, mobo switching itself off to save the cpu dozens of times.
I have tried:
- Switching back to default in BIOS, stop overclocking.
- Checking the AIO if it's properly seated.
- Cleaning and reapplying the thermal paste. (This worked for a few days then it happens again :mad: . Also the I now know that touching a 90c CPU is hot 😛 .)

Please help me save my baby. Now I have to turn it off, wait a few hours for the CPU to cool down, log in to post my problem, and cry seeing 100c in AI Suite T-T.
5 REPLIES 5

Zka17
Level 16
Check your cooler! If nothing else got changed in the system, the overheating problem appeared just with normal usage, then my suspicion is the cooler. Make sure that the pump is working by simply placing your finger over it. If you can adjust the speed of the pump, set it at the highest level.

Humm I'm sorry but what an I looking for when checking if the pump is working or faulty?
Btw I can't even boot into BIOS since the CPU is just so hot that the mobo will take it out immediately after turning the PC on.

FDViper wrote:
Humm I'm sorry but what an I looking for when checking if the pump is working or faulty?
Btw I can't even boot into BIOS since the CPU is just so hot that the mobo will take it out immediately after turning the PC on.

You are looking for vibrations - when a pump works, it creates vibrations. If you place - gently - your finger(s) on it, you should fill vibrations. As you're spinning up the pump, more you will feel it.

Until you figure out the cooling situation, it is advisable to reset BIOS to defaults... well, as soon as you can enter...

If the pump failed, the coolant could have warmed up, that may be the reason why you can not start - leave it overnight to cool it down...*

Nate152
Hi FDViper

Yeah there's something wrong with your cooler.

Since it was ok maybe a loose connection or failing pump ?

Do the rad fans spin ?