Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Must Do's for making 4790K work with Maximus VI Motherboards

The ASUS instructions are vague at best so here are clear instructions.

1. While you have a NON Devil's Canyon Processor installed, Upgrade the Management Engine Software to Version V9.5.15.1730 located under the CHIPSET Drivers (do it twice to make sure all the bits are upgraded).

2. Go to Programs and Features in your control panel and make sure you verify that ME 1730 is installed.

3. Reboot

4. Download the MAXIMUS VI FORMULA BIOS 1505 and BIOS updater located under the BIOS drivers and unzip the package to a directory on your hard drive.

5. Go to that directory and drill down to the directory called V2.00.02

6. Double-click on the UPDATE executable and follow the instructions completely (choose and install 1505 BIOS).

7. Reboot

8. The computer will post that you have to press "F1" to enter the BIOS.

9. Press "F5" for Optimized Defaults then "F10" to save settings and Reboot.

10. In Windows Verify that you have 1505 BIOS installed then shutdown your computer.

11. Install your Devil's Canyon Chip

12. Boot and Enter the BIOS and Press "F5" for Optimized Defaults then "F10" to save settings and Reboot.

13. Boot your computer... Success !

14. Now you can proceed to overclock to your heart's content.

Cheers

Edit: See post #60 in this thread (linked below) for updating without a CPU using USB BIOS Flashback

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post420333
    Last edited by Praz; 07-17-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Hello

I have done a couple of Z87 boards over the weekend. I didn't find it necessary to update the ME driver although doing the update is a valid option. It is best to right click on Update.exe and run as administrator. While swapping out the CPU place the Clear CMOS jumper in the clear position.

ROG Member Array

Is it possible to do if you don't have a non-Devils Canyon processor? My old one died and the store gave me a free upgrade so I'm trying to get my computer booting again with a 4790k.

Hello

No it is not. The update needs to be done with a non-refresh, non-DC Haswell processor.

ROG Member Array

What a mess. Isn't this what USB BIOS flashback is made for?

ROG Member Array

So basically you can't use your motherboard if you upgrade processors before upgrading bios.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    What a mess. Isn't this what USB BIOS flashback is made for?
    Yes. In the past, you can use that method to update the BIOS for newer CPUs. Unfortunately, this cannot be done with Devil's Canyon CPUs. You need a non Devil's Canyon CPU present to complete the update process.

Quote Originally Posted by ruler501 View Post
    So basically you can't use your motherboard if you upgrade processors before upgrading bios.
    That is correct.

Hello

There has always been a limitation as to which parts of the CMOS chip that can be updated with BIOS Flashback. If access to another CPU is not possible ask a local PC shop to either perform the update or flash the chip itself using a programmer. If using a programmer the data from 0x000 to 0x7FF must be removed from the BIOS file before flashing.

ROG Member Array

Nice i actually have a programmer. Just load 1505 to the bios chip manually then? Will work then?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array geneo PC Specs
    geneo PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X Code
    ProcessorIntel 8086K @ 5.1Ghz
    Memory (part number)32 GB (2x16) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200 MHz CL14 @ 3600 15-16-37
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix 2070 Super A8G
    MonitorEIZO Coloredge CG2730 and Dell
    Storage #1Samsung 512 GB 960 Pro
    Storage #21TB 850 x 1 TB 860 EVO RAID0, 6 TB WDC Black HDD
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 Chromax
    CaseFractal Design R4 w/ tempered glass
    Power Supply750W Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
    Keyboard CM Quickfire Rapid TKL
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Bose
    Headset/Speakers Vanatoo T1, ML Dynamo 300
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64

I think the problems is the new chip needs a new Intel Management Engine firmware, and the BIOS doesn't update it. That is what the BIOS updater is for. So it is a chicken and egg. You need a functional processor to load the IME firmware.

However, the IME firmware that the BIOS updater loads is 9.0.30.1482, and I believe the IME that came with the BIOS the boards were delivered with are:
    BIOS 1203: IME 9.0.22.1467
    BIOS 1301,1402,1505: IME 9.0.30.1482

So I think if your board came delivered with 1301 or 1402, you are probably OK.

I still would have thought it would at least boot with the older IME.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast