cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus - Question about Bitrate and Frequency Headphones Virtual Surround

x7007
Level 7
I have the Asus Strix RAID DLX , and I've found something that might a bug but it's not because the games doesn't actually support it so it won't work anyhow.

With a game support 5.1 , any game you can have in mind, say Heroes of the Storm, Neir Autoama and any other. When using Headphones with Virtual Surround Enabled set to 96 Khz the game won't detect the surround. it will only be Stereo . if you set to 48 Khz or 44 Khz the game will detect the Virtual Surround fine.

24 Bit 48 Khz the Virtual Surround still works so there isn't an issue with the BITs.

For real 5.1 Speakers it seem that it doesn't matter, using my 5.1 Logitech Analog 3.5mm it detects no matter 96 Khz or other as long it set to 5.1.

The big question is when installing the Asus Strix RAID DLX drivers it auto detect 16 bit 44 Khz, using 48 Khz is not a problem. but what will happen when I use 24 Bit ? Is it ok to use 24 bit ? for virtual surround at least or anything else ? I noticed I have many weird driver crashing with nhAsusStrixsvc32.exe with error :

Faulting application name: nhAsusStrixsvc32.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5858d80b
Faulting module name: nhAsusStrixsvc32.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5858d80b
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0004a5c0
Faulting process id: 0x2734
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2dba7b586dd72
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\ASUSTeKcomputer.Inc\nhAsusStrix\UserInterface\nhAsusStrixsvc32.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\ASUSTeKcomputer.Inc\nhAsusStrix\UserInterface\nhAsusStrixsvc32.exe
Report Id: 85af67ba-00b0-453b-896a-426deb4743e0
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

But it was fixed after uninstalling all ghost usb devices, reinstalling the Asmedia Microsoft driver , and the Asus Driver, then keeping it set to 16 bit and 48 Khz. didn't have a crash since.

So my guess is the 96 Khz is causing the virtual surround not to work and crash the driver. the question is does the 24 bit also causing issues ? cause it takes some time to happen , because the virtual surround still works. so I won't know till it happen and I haven't checked yet.

Because another idea is with Dolby Atmos for windows 10, when you enable it, it auto lower the quality to 16 bit and 48 Khz, because it might work the same as virtual surround, so I just wonder about the 16 bit vs 24 bit.
5 REPLIES 5

Glasofruix
Level 8
How exactly do you know that the game is detecting the virtual surround? As far as i can tell no game with autodetect does that.

Glasofruix wrote:
How exactly do you know that the game is detecting the virtual surround? As far as i can tell no game with autodetect does that.

if you have for example Neir Automata , it auto detect 5.1 if everything is set right. if it doesn't it auto detect Stereo. that's in the Audio settings of the game. Also Shadow Warrior 2 did the same thing, it auto detected Stereo instead 7.1 when it wasn't set to the right options, again in the game Audio settings.

InternetOwl wrote:
I can't speak to this specific issue but C-media drivers used to require (and I think still do) the settings to be 16-bit and 44Hz for all their effects to work. This applies to game effects only. Possibly that would include virtual sound. Idk if this would apply to the ASUS drivers but they still use C-media's as reference so it might. Srry I can't be of more help but you might want to look into this to see if you can find something on it.

This is not C-Media anymore, it's ESS , so it might be different , it works fine with 48 Khz also. I think the C-Media would work with 48 Khz . do you know where it says it needs to be 44 Khz ?

InternetOwl
Level 8
I can't speak to this specific issue but C-media drivers used to require (and I think still do) the settings to be 16-bit and 44Hz for all their effects to work. This applies to game effects only. Possibly that would include virtual sound. Idk if this would apply to the ASUS drivers but they still use C-media's as reference so it might. Srry I can't be of more help but you might want to look into this to see if you can find something on it.

Eleiyas
Level 10
I've had issues, not just with games, if I set sound quality to anything over CD - 48Khz : my media player didn't function, no sound from most stuff....

I don't think it's an issue with your RAID DLX, I think it's more a limitation of Windows or some software. I could be wrong however.

Hey. Ya 48Hz works fine I don't know why I thought 44Hz. Just remembered wrong. And this is mainly in relation to virtual sound. ESS are the DACs but the chip or audio processor driving it is still c-media, though basically one of their best.

This was also under the old c-media drivers so I don't know if it applies to the sonic studio software. Sorry for the mix up.