cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partition 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD YES/NO?

XGZiDeus
Level 9
Hello ROG

Is there any real benefit or any drawback for partitioning a 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD (200GB for OS and 300GB for games)?

I have read articles and dug stuff online and I have found different views on the matter. These articles though are 2, 3 or five years old and the SSD discussed for partition was the older SATA. I could not find current ones specifically about the newer M.2 NVMe SSD.

Based on what I gathered, the general response regarding SSD partition (SATA) were:

1) No real benefit in performance, only organization
2) Creates an artificial barrier within the drive resulting to "slower" or decreased performance
3) Decreases lifespan of SSD

These are the major reasons stated for NOT partitioning the older SSD SATA. My question now are as follows:

1) Are the reasons stated above accurate?
2) Do these circumstances also apply to the newer NVME PCIE SSD?
3) If NO -- Does partitioning the NVME PCIE SSD improve performance along with organization? Will it have any significant benefit on this specific type of SSD?

Would greatly appreciate your input.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Zka17
Level 16
Any SSD needs a certain amount of free space to work properly - not sure about the amount, but it is around 10-20%... Now, if you make partitions, every partition will need that space... Partitioning was a thing with older OS, Win7 or Win10 can handle big partitions...

My thoughts: no real benefit...*

Zka17 wrote:
Any SSD needs a certain amount of free space to work properly - not sure about the amount, but it is around 10-20%... Now, if you make partitions, every partition will need that space... Partitioning was a thing with older OS, Win7 or Win10 can handle big partitions...

My thoughts: no real benefit...*

Got it! I will most likely keep things without need for a partition. Ofcourse unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Thanks

Darren_Stevens
Level 9
No benefit at all.

Darren Stevens wrote:
No benefit at all.

Got it. Thanks