cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New firmware feedback 6-10

jsarver
Level 11
Can't update from within the router web page. Must download from site then upload it for it to actually take effect.*

Seems a factory reset is necessary for normal speeds to be obtained after update.

Qos doesn't work. Turning it on causes a large variety *of web pages to no longer load. Turning off instantly fixes this.*
55 REPLIES 55

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi jsarver,
Firmware and QoS appear to be working as expected on our side.
For the firmware, it's good you have updated it anyway. We'll look into this further. If it happens again please let us know.
For QoS, it would be difficult for us to replicate your configuration accurately. It may be faster for you to first send us your saved config file, so we can check the priorities set.

Then try some process by elimination. Try disconnecting all connected devices and test each by adding one device at a time, perhaps you can find the device that is causing the issue.

jsarver
Level 11
I can assure you it is not working and this firmware is not very good after further testing. Also it would be helpful if you guys took a look at this thread. Lot s of smart people here discussing this router and it's good and bad features. Many people with identical issues and some with more advanced problems. Thanks!

*https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rog-rapture-gt-ac5300-owners.38794/page-19

Having major issues below is a copy of my post at SNB:

Hi,
Long time lurker first time poster.
Just got one of these routers and thought I would post my opinion and some of the issues that I have.
While the GUI is the most comprehensive I have seen in a long time ( been on tomato for 5+ years) it still needs a lot of work to improve it, particularly performance wise. It nearly always auto reboots the router when you change even the most minor of settings i.e. changing DHCP to manual assignment and also when adding the IP's manually.
When a reboot occurs the GUI becomes horrendously slow even though there is almost no load (3% on CPU1 and 1% on CPU4,while CPU 2 and 3 are 0%) on the CPU. Only 33% of the memory is being used during this issue.
It then takes upwards of 5 mins after completing reboot to establish a PPPOE connection with the fiber ONT.
My old Rt-N66U leaves this router dead in the water when it comes to GUI performance, which leaves me feeling underwhelmed by its performance for a premium router.
I am also running the router with basic settings with QOS, IPS, network protection etc. disabled but still experience these performance issues.
and of course no wall mounting holes - how dumb is that for people who have space issues or in my case a home networking cabinet.
In my opinion this router seems rushed to market and could do with a complete firmware overhaul as performance is substandard, or better still thay should give it to Merlin to sort it out!

Regards
Mark

qUAanA
Level 10
This Rapture is garbage. I received it yesterday. It wont even update the firmware.
Tried everything, factory default, pin hole reset, I'm done

qUAanA wrote:
This Rapture is garbage. I received it yesterday. It wont even update the firmware.
Tried everything, factory default, pin hole reset, I'm done

So I managed to restore the bios using the Asus Utility and followed instructions.
Finally got it to update the firmware
Seemed to work, but
Speeds were cut to half
Returned back
will wait for a different model instead, not paying so much money for a router that needs tweaking.

Also noticed what could possibly be related to the GUI slowdown when applying settings. When the slow down occurred I ran a speed test and found that my download speed had dropped from 103 Mbps to about 3Mbps!. This had me confused as it was as if my PC connection was throttled. After a lot of mucking about I disabled the PC Ethernet in the network connections (Win 10) and then almost immediately re-enabled it and I was back to full speed and the GUI was once again very responsive - very strange!

Regards
Mark

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
qUAanA wrote:
So I managed to restore the bios using the Asus Utility and followed instructions.
Finally got it to update the firmware
Seemed to work, but
Speeds were cut to half
Returned back
will wait for a different model instead, not paying so much money for a router that needs tweaking.

Hi qUAanA,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Many aspects of a router can sometimes be very technical, even for computer-savvy people. With the Rapture, we placed great emphasis on not only power but also ease of use for something this complex. Soon, we will get it right, I hope you will bear with us long enough to enjoy the router like we intended.

As I'm sure you are aware, with networks many factors come into play. Let's play with whatever factors you have shall we?
Is it running okay now? Did you play around with it some more?
Some people seem to have an issue with QoS, did you happen to tinker with the router and enabled it?

Hi,

Just had a sporadic reboot and have sent feedback with files attached. From what I can see in the log it appears to be a kernel paging error - if this is so this would eliminate the issue of it being caused by a connected device.

Jun 24 10:15:21 kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 206f7420746e69ab
Jun 24 10:15:21 kernel: pgd = ffffffc032223000
Jun 24 10:15:21 kernel: [206f7420746e69ab] *pgd=0000000000000000, *pud=0000000000000000
Jun 24 10:15:21 kernel: Internal error: Oops: 96000004 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
Jun 24 10:15:21 kernel: Modules linked in: tdts_udbfw(O) init_addr( (null) - (null)), core_addr(ffffffbffcb41000 - ffffffbffcb46120)

Regards
Mark

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
MarkSW wrote:
Hi,

Just had a sporadic reboot and have sent feedback with files attached. From what I can see in the log it appears to be a kernel paging error - if this is so this would eliminate the issue of it being caused by a connected device.

Jun 24 10:15:21 kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 206f7420746e69ab
Jun 24 10:15:21 kernel: pgd = ffffffc032223000
Jun 24 10:15:21 kernel: [206f7420746e69ab] *pgd=0000000000000000, *pud=0000000000000000
Jun 24 10:15:21 kernel: Internal error: Oops: 96000004 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
Jun 24 10:15:21 kernel: Modules linked in: tdts_udbfw(O) init_addr( (null) - (null)), core_addr(ffffffbffcb41000 - ffffffbffcb46120)

Regards
Mark

Thanks for that Mark, we will look into this.