Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Banned Array

Well after a week and a half of having this router, I have to say that I am not at all impressed by the functionality of the GT5300. As I have said previously while the GUI is impressive looking it is mainly all eye candy for gaming and lacking in the basics:
    No proper bandwidth monitoring to track usage on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, with no provision to put in a start date for data rollover.
    No per IP monitoring daily/weekly/monthly to check individual users total data usage.
    No advanced PPPOE functionality.
    Setting for master browser.
    Client renaming still bugged....list goes on and on.
    Hopefully the engineers are reading these posts and also the ones at SNB because as it is this router overall is currently sub-par and needs a complete firmware overhaul. At this time I cannot recommend it to anybody but the people who enjoy the constant fiddling that it needs to perform reasonably.
    I personally suggest that Asus get RMerlin involved with this firmware by giving him a GT5300 and resources so he can help get the best out of this router!!

Regards
    Mark

Administrator Array MasterC@ASUS's Avatar

Looks like you've spent a good deal of time playing around with the settings. Thanks for your feedback Mark, we value any opinions which may help make our products better. Our priority at the current time will be to fix any bugs before adding any more new features. I've provided our team with suggestions, but we'll need some time to process all the requests.

Banned Array

Thanks for the reply.
    I still think it would be a good idea to give a GT5300 unit to RMerlin so he can help with the firmware, however the only way he would probably help is if the codebase for the routers that he supplies firmware for were all updated to the GT5300 codebase.
    Just a thought...

Regards
    Mark

Banned Array

Is there any update on the upcoming firmware? Such as whats been fixed, added and ETA?
    The constant rebooting, page faults, and throttling of connected PC that is accessing router is starting to get extremely annoying!

Regards
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSW View Post
    Is there any update on the upcoming firmware? Such as whats been fixed, added and ETA?
    The constant rebooting, page faults, and throttling of connected PC that is accessing router is starting to get extremely annoying!

Regards
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

The upcoming firmware is still work in progress, and testing requires time. We really want to make sure it's ready. In the meantime, I imagine you have already tried factory reset and left QoS disabled, correct?

Banned Array

I have done all of this.
    The issues are the sporadic reboots which sometimes occur for no reason according to the system log and sometime due to a page fault. There are numerous other issues with the router, which I have reported via the feedback tab and hope the engineers are actually reading those feedback's.
    As I have previously said the router at the moment is all eye candy with almost no basic functions like per IP bandwidth monitoring, Accurate Time Scheduling etc, all of which you find in OpenWRT and Tomato.
    So at this time not that impressed with this router for the amount of money spent buying it.

Regards
    Mark

Banned Array

Posted on SNB today:

I personally find the stability of this router erratic. Logged into the GUI this morning and bam router reboots with nothing in the log to explain why. I did notice though that when logging in that it negotiates and drops port speeds approximately 2-3 times in the system log, starting at the lowest speed which is odd:

Jul 10 11:00:24 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
    Jul 10 11:48:38 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
    Jul 10 11:48:45 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
    Jul 10 11:48:46 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
    Jul 10 11:48:49 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

Also emailed Kris Huang at ROG letting him know that I am not to pleased with the current state of the router.

Regards
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSW View Post
    Posted on SNB today:

I personally find the stability of this router erratic. Logged into the GUI this morning and bam router reboots with nothing in the log to explain why. I did notice though that when logging in that it negotiates and drops port speeds approximately 2-3 times in the system log, starting at the lowest speed which is odd:

Jul 10 11:00:24 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
    Jul 10 11:48:38 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
    Jul 10 11:48:45 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
    Jul 10 11:48:46 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
    Jul 10 11:48:49 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

Also emailed Kris Huang at ROG letting him know that I am not to pleased with the current state of the router.

Regards
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Please try sending it in to be examined. We'd hate for you to wait only to find out later it's a hardware issue to begin with. Thanks for your patience.

Banned Array

I have persevered with this router for over a month now, so I am out of my return window. I bought it to replace my RT-N66U which started to go faulty after 6 years and so have nothing to replace it with. I work from home so having a internet connection is paramount for me. I will have to persevere a bit more until the new firmware comes out or if you are prepared to supply me with a beta firmware or an RMA to return it - these are the only options that I have right now.

Regards
    Mark

Hi Mark,

Please send the router in for RMA, it is under warranty. Looking at your system log, it is probable your network cable or network card is causing the link rate to toggle. If you have verified those are not causing the issue, please contact ASUS in your region to have your Rapture looked at.

Thanks.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast