cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2-which slot to use?

ddmeltzer8
Level 7
Hi.I`m new here but I`m sure I will get the help I need!
I just finished my first build and have some questions about where to put my Intel M.2 480GB drive.My mobo is an ASUS b250 prime and
theres 2 slots,M.2 1 and M.2 2.
I also have another HDD drive but I use the M.2 for boot.

Please help!

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

Menthol
Level 14
Prime B250 M-Plus or -Plus?
You didn't list part number for the Intel drive, I believe if it is a SATA drive (530) install in slot M.2 1, if it is a NVME (600) drive slot M.2 2, this is stated in the manual and on the ASUS support page for the motherboard

Menthol wrote:
You didn't list part number for the Intel drive, I believe if it is a SATA drive (530) install in slot M.2 1, if it is a NVME (600) drive slot M.2 2, this is stated in the manual and on the ASUS support page for the motherboard

Thanks.Its just the B250-PLUS version.And heres all info on the M.2: SSD5,M.2 80mm,SATA III,540s Series,480GB.
All this is very confusing to me,and I`m sorry if I seem difficult.
In the motherboard user guide it says something about PCIe mode and SATA mode.If I remember correctly it refers to the bios setting,but which do I choose???

Thanks for responding to an idiot!

Cheers.

Menthol
Level 14

Menthol
Level 14
The drive uses SATA protocol so install in slot M.2 1 and SATA6G_1 port will be disabled so any other SSD's or HHD's cannot use that port
And you are not an idiot if your smart enough to ask for answers to the questions you have, we all have to do this

Menthol wrote:
The drive uses SATA protocol so install in slot M.2 1 and SATA6G_1 port will be disabled so any other SSD's or HHD's cannot use that port
And you are not an idiot if your smart enough to ask for answers to the questions you have, we all have to do this

Tyhanks but I still dont get if I should use sata mode or pcie mode?
Its painful to just read guides with all the numbers and acronyms and...My head spins!

Thanks.

Menthol
Level 14
Your drive is SATA you can only use SATA mode