cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU temp at -79°C ??

DanniV8
Level 7
So this has happened twice tonight.

I'm messing around in Fan Xpert4 and AIDA64. Doing stress tests and adjusting my fan profiles, when all of a sudden the CPU temp and Motherboard temp plummet to -79°C (CPU) and -70°C (Motherboard) and stay there until I've restarted the system.

PCH, GPU, CPU Diode and VRM temps all stay operating normally.

I have no idea what could cause this, but this messes with my fan profiles. I want to be able to trust that the fans will kick in if they will be needed to, but with the temp readings the profiles rely on are over 100°C off, they'll never start running.

Time from last reboot was less than 30 minutes when this happened this time.

Any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

sphinx64
Level 7
The symptoms you describe happens to me all the time. It is a bios bug I think.
But when the CPU temp goes down to -79ish on my system, I immediately OC to 5GHz as this cooling is way better than LN cooling and I am very happy indeed!

Just kidding :rolleyes:

Try to be patient (as we are) to see if a new bios on Agesa 1.0.0.6 comes out (if comes out) to solve the problem (if solves).

Regards.

P.S And yes, whenever temp values hit (-), then my CPU fan drops to 300 (which you can adjust in bios by the way) and so I have to reboot every time this happens on a top notch mainboard.

sphinx64 wrote:
The symptoms you describe happens to me all the time. It is a bios bug I think.
But when the CPU temp goes down to -79ish on my system, I immediately OC to 5GHz as this cooling is way better than LN cooling and I am very happy indeed!

Just kidding :rolleyes:

Try to be patient (as we are) to see if a new bios on Agesa 1.0.0.6 comes out (if comes out) to solve the problem (if solves).

Regards.

P.S And yes, whenever temp values hit (-), then my CPU fan drops to 300 (which you can adjust in bios by the way) and so I have to reboot every time this happens on a top notch mainboard.

At least I'm not the only one! This has not happened again since. It looks to me like it happens when I've had the fans manually at full speed for a while when the computer is at idle. This has never happened with the fans at low speed.

purecain
Level 9
the settings are becoming temporarily corrupted as both utilities are taking readings using the smbus. there seems to be a problem with it atm. imo
AsusCrosshairHeroVIII - 5950X
32Gb G.Skill RGB Trident 16gb3466Mhz B-Die + 16gb4266Mhz B-Die
Asus Tuf RTX3090
1TbSamsung960EVO M.2 1TbSamsung850EVO SSD Seagate2TB/3Tb CorsairForceGt 64gb
Seasonic Focus1000w 80+ Gold
Thermaltake Core X71 Tempered glass side panal

Just booted and motherboard temps are under liquid nitrogen. Things getting better and better with this board

Is there any fix for this? Not using AIDA64 for temp monitoring is not a fix IMO.

This is happening more frequently now and not always locking in at the same number. Last time for example it was -39°C.

It completely shuts down the Corsair water cooler, even the pump, when this happens. Running BIOS 1403.

This has gotten to a stage where I can't even trust my computer to stay on while I am away from it.

I'm seriously thinking about returning this motherboard and going back to Intel... this is becoming too much of a hazzle for me.

DanniV8 wrote:

It completely shuts down the Corsair water cooler, even the pump, when this happens. Running BIOS 1403.

Are you running Corsair link software? What other system/GPU monitoring software are you using? Have you thought about using HWINFO instead?

davemon50
Level 11
Perhaps a RELATED ISSUE ? This user had to reinstall the Asus software.
Davemon50

elmor
Level 10
Debugging this at the moment. It's a third party software causing corruption due to simultaneous access. They're not liable for the resulting issue, but we are. Quite a bad situation for us. Can you try with HWInfo instead?

elmor wrote:
Debugging this at the moment. It's a third party software causing corruption due to simultaneous access. They're not reliable for the resulting issue, but we are. Quite a bad situation for us. Can you try with HWInfo instead?

I have this problem in conjunction with random fans and the AIO headers failing, reporting 0 rpm, or going full blast at random times. I use AIDA64 ... if I stop using it completely does this issue disappear?

I worry about disabling AIDA64 because I wont get a warning my system lost fans or the pump and it will reach the temp threshold.